SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
murphy_zone7

Just starting this jouney and no idea of what to do

murphy_zone7
16 years ago

Hello everyone...I have read almost all the posts here and decided to finally introduce myself. I am 59, retired, single, my children are grown and all live in other states. I have a disabled brother and a sister who lives out of state. By default, I have become the caregiver for my Mother and uncle. My Mother is 77 years old and in very good health. She lives alone next door to me and manages very well for now. She has no health isssues she is just slowing down, physically and mentally. The uncle who is 80 lives in an retirement community and only needs me for doctor appointments and to get him out an about once in a while and for any emergency. My concerns are mainly with my mother. I am already overwhelmed with how much she expects of me, things I think she can do but it is just easier to have someone else do it. It seems no matter how much I do, it is never enough. I do not have a life of my own I am at her beck and call 24/7 and know that if I do not get a good balance soon, it can become very bad for both of us.

What I would like to ask you guys, what do you wish you had known or done prior to taking on such an enourmous responsibilty. Are there any suggestions or ideas you can make to help me as I begin this journey that has no good end.

I want to do the right thing for my mother, but I don't want to kill myself in the process.

Thank you so much for any suggestions you can offer.

Comments (7)

Sponsored