Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concrete Foundation Wall Concerns

Posted by 49thparallel (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 23:32

Hi,
We're in the process of building a home in Montana and the contractor underestimated the grade in front of the house, and as a result had to pour an additional two feet of concrete on top of the already poured wall to get the entry to the porch correct. Rebar was put into the previously poured wall before the forms were put back on and the extra 2' was poured. Even though an engineer and inspector approved this, my concern is that water could permeate through the seam. There will be a foot or two of dirt covering the seam. The contractor has also offered to put a water-proof membrane over the seam and doesn't seem to think it will be a problem. I would appreciate any well informed thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concrete Foundation Wall Concerns

Cold joints are always susceptible to water leaks. (Though remember, concrete itself is a pretty porous material.)

A self-adhering membrane such as Bituthene 3000 will work fine.

Whatever material is used should be designated for below grade use on concrete walls.

o

Make sure it is "waterproofing" instead of "dampproofing" and protect it with something before backfilling. Any asphalt product should be "modified" or "rubberized" (like Grace Bituthene) so it will bridge cracks. It helps to use Grace's Water Based Primer on concrete for their self-adhering membranes. I prefer cold spray-on modified asphalt but if the area is small, 2 or 3 coats of a brush on material should work.

o

Properly waterproofed, as suggested above, and it won't be an issue. Improperly waterproofed, and it will be a constant headache.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here