Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

tray ceiling with rope lighting help please

abekker
9 years ago

My first floor has 10 ft ceilings. In the kitchen I would prefer the cabinets to go up to the ceiling, but I don't want to stack. I was thinking of going up to 8.5 ft with 42 inch cabinets and stacked molding, which leaves 18 inches. Will it look right to have the ceiling start at 8.5 going past the cabinets and vaulting up (trey with rope lighting) in the center over the island? Will it be too much of a change walking into the kitchen with 8.5 ft ceilings from 10 ft in the other rooms?

Comments (13)

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Something like this except the soffit would come out further away from the wall past the cabinets. Also I would add crown molding to the soffit and inside the ceiling would be tray not straight.

{{gwi:2134717}}

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Your photo did not come through.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here we go

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here we go

{{gwi:2134719}}

• User
    9 years ago

You mean a traditional soffit just extended around the whole perimeter of the room. That's all a tray ceiling is. It only looks good in a more traditional home. And uplighting only looks good in a contemporary home. It just looks like a design miss in a traditional home.

You need to develop an overall design mission statement for the home and weigh each choice against that. Otherwise you're going to end up with something that lacks any continuity and each part and piece will be in discord with itself as a whole.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My design is more contemporary

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hollysprings , what would you suggest for filling in that 18" space between the cabinets and ceiling, except more cabinets?

• User
    9 years ago

Drop the entire ceiling if you don't want a gap between the cabinets and ceiling. This should have been thought out in the design phase. Tall ceilings are particularly useless in kitchens, so you have to have a plan in place to handle a transition, or plan for the cabinets to go to the ceiling. Or have a gap.

• worthy
    9 years ago

Tall ceilings are particularly useless in kitchens,

And pretty much anywhere else not regularly occupied by NBA forwards and centers.

But nevertheless they are regular features in high design kitchens . For instance, see the current edition of Architectural Digest, p.204, the previous edition at 131 etc, etc.

Practically, treying the ceiling the way the OP is suggesting could create a deep horizontal canyon that might look better filled, not necessarily by expensive cabinets, but simple panels in the same style as the cabinetry.

But, then, I'm not a designer.

Here's how a kitchen designer handled a nine-foot ceiling in a house I built a few years ago.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it looks rather nice. It's more interesting than having the same flat ceiling everywhere.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

similar concept

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Is the kitchen a wholly enclosed room so that the ceiling treatment doesn't impact any additional room in an open space concept?

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's not completely open, but there will be an 8 ft trimmed soffit between rooms giving it separation.