Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

Debating paint colors...again

Aims
9 years ago

Do you ever get tired of picking stuff out? I swear I am getting there. My wonderful mother in law, (she is truly wonderful) was asking what my accent colors for the kitchen were going to be. I was rather dumbfounded. Haven't even gotten there and know little about decorating.

I was thinking about Bungalow Beige for the whole house, but I am having 2nd thoughts about that. It seems like greige type colors are in. And I find myself gravitating towards cooler colors. I always have loved blues and grays. So maybe a greige color would be better?

Peppercorn is by far my favorite color. I wanted to do the kitchen island in it and possibly the bathroom cabinetry.

I picked Dockside Blue for the master bathroom paint, but I am concerned if that plus Peppercorn on the vanities and cabinets will work or if the colors or too much. Maybe white cabinets instead of Peppercorn with the blue would look okay too?

Speaking of whites. Still can't decide on one. I would want it to me a cooler white. If anyone has any suggestions for me, please help. There are so many shades of white out there.

Comments (12)

• nostalgicfarm
    9 years ago

My husband wanted grey instead of a tan/beige in a house we just remodeled. Our main living color is a medium grey...frets are so hard to pick though...so many have undertones, and the "pure" greys don't have any color/depth to them (does my personal description make sense?) I did peppercorn in the master...love it!!! I thought it was very risky, especially since we have one small west window. I put a fixture up with some crystals. It is somehow such an awesome room. I did go with PB bedding as I just couldn't find anything else with the right blue depth.
    I would say go with what your gut tells you. But if you are doing dark blue and white kitchen cabinets, do think about accessories/dishes/coordinating colors. Maybe that means your cabinets would look better with a tan and peppercorn because the white/peppercorn doesn't work well with dishes. We haven't redone our kitchen yet, but the dishes I have will not work well with my grey walls and other plans. I will have to put them away for awhile.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Those colors work nicely together. Remember you may want to coordinate colors in the public spaces, but you can be far more free-wheeling in the private spaces.

I've always found it easier to pick colors when I had an inspiration piece first for each room...be it a fabric, a plate, a piece of art, a picture of a room I like, or even an inspiration from what I see out the window. Once that is chosen, the other color choices seem far more obvious and it makes it much easier to choose.

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

Checkout SW Silverpointe

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are keeping our old dishes and they are white, darkened green, and black. The only thing displayed dishes wise in the kitchen will be the canisters.

I have looked at SW Silverpointe, and First Star but when comparing them to the other whites, they look so gray! It may take us buying a sample and putting it up on the walls to see how it looks.

Nostalgic, what shade of gray did you use?

• jdez
    9 years ago

Can you get Benjamin Moore? We used BM Chantilly Lace for trim and I would describe it as a clean white.

• zippity1
    9 years ago

i like gray a lot and i like your three colors, just remember that in 10 years those colors will be "out of style" and you may not be so happy with them then (i've lived in green and gold, mauve and blue, navy, dark green and burgundy and loved them all .....at first
    i tried very hard to pick colors that were not in vogue for our new house and i'm very happy with my choices
    of course many people can afford to repaint and purchase new furniture and accessories if you can do that enjoy!!!!! it will be beautiful...

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are doing Sherwin Williams. I will look and see if they have a similar color to Chantilly Lace. A clean and crisp white kind of sounds like what I want. I just don't want a white that looks yellow or looks stark like a hospital.

This post was edited by aimless07 on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 22:39

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

I'm gonna do blue/grey in the master bath, green/grey in the laundry room and mudroom and a wedgwood blue in the bedroom because I've had that color there for 19 years and it still makes me smile. I've been complimented on my color choices and in the bedroom nobody has ever complimented me and I don't care. It's my fave. Do what makes you smile!

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

Have you seen these colours in person? On my screen, the peppercorn looks like a medium grey. But I have a sample of that colour and it's very dark in person.

• tulips33
    9 years ago

I love grays and blues too.
    We did sherman williams
    SW7016 mindful gray (main color)
    SW 7621 silver mist (dining room, master bedroom)
    SW6204 sea salt (master bathroom)
    SW7005 pure white - trim
    and we love it, nice and calming.
    Grays are hard to pick b/c a lot of times they end up looking purple or blue, so you definitely want to try samples.
    I've linked pictures of our house although the paint colors don't show up very well.
    And yes, by the end I couldn't pick anything else out. Picking an exterior paint color almost broke me b/c everything looks different outside. After 4 1/4 months I finally was able to go and get some of my decorations out of a box and set them on a shelf...haven't been able to do any other decorating yet b/c I just can't make the decision. I'm not even close to being able to decide to hang something on a wall....maybe there is rehab for this...lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Our new house

This post was edited by tulips33 on Fri, Dec 12, 14 at 18:59

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Hi aimless,

I don't know how rushed you are, but Maria Killam (a well known Canadian colour expert) just published an ebook all about whites. It is being offered at a discount this weekend ($17.00). She talks about BM and SW colours. I have started reading it, and it seems good. Just google Maria Killam and you should be able to get it if that interests you.

Somewhere, on Gardenweb there was a member who listed the most similar SW colours to BM. Sadly, I couldn't find it, maybe you will? There was mention of a similar SW colour to Chantilly Lace from BM. If I find that thread I will post it.

Best of luck with this difficult decision.

Carol

P.S. I just remembered another ebook I ordered which listed out good suggestions on the best SW colours. If you Google "Paint color cheat sheets" you should find info on that ebook too.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994