Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nostalgicfarm

Remote Control Light Bulbs?

nostalgicfarm
9 years ago

IN the house we are in, they set up a lot of the outlets to work with the overhead light. It is a pain for chargin stuff, but Im dealing with it. But I just set up the Christmas tree, and realized that I really don't want to run a cord across the room. I need a somewhat inexpensive way to turn 3 lighbulbs on and off. I don't need a dimmer, but wouldn't mind one. What I am finding requires some whole house lighting system. If I could get something in a local store would be awesome. Hoping you , all know of a great option for me? Thanks!

Comments (14)

• davids_2007
    9 years ago

This might work for what you are trying to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamp Remote Controls

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. This is the overhead light I am trying to turn on and off (so the outlets can stay on. The link you sent me would work for outlets, but not for my overhead light. Thanks!

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Am I understanding this correctly?
    The switch needs to be in the on position for the Christmas lights to work.
    The same switch controls the overhead light.
    You want the Christmas lights on and the overhead light off.

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dekeoboe- yes! Only 2 of my 6 living room outlets work when the light switch is off. Those two are behind the TV and close to the dining room. The closest one is a good 15 feet from the tree. In addition, 2 of the outlets controlled by the switch have usb chargers...so we can only charge when the overhead light is on, unless we want to charge something in the kitchen (not convenient for laptops.
    Thanks!

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Try searching for a remote control light socket. For example:
    {{gwi:2134704}}
    but you need to check the wattage of the bulb and whether there is enough room in the fixture.

Here is a link that might be useful: HDE Wireless E27 Screw-In Light Bulb Socket Base + Keychain Remote Control

• nostalgicfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That would work..but it would put my bulbs hanging out...not the look I'm wanting.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest Insteon. We have a bunch of switches that DH has programed with different combos, and he can turn them off with his phone. But when I asked him the name of the switches, he said he doesn't recommend them.

He said they're great for the simple use we have. But he said the web interface sucks. And trying to get them to connect to a greater home automation system wouldn't work because it's all proprietary.

But it gives you a start.

We used to have X10, I don't know if they're still around. We had lamp units we used to plug the tree into. And some of our light switches were replaced with X10 switches and could be controlled from the same remote.

• robin0919
    9 years ago

nostal.....you weren't able to find it on what I posted?

• renovator8
    9 years ago

I've seen half of a duplex convenience receptacle switched but not the entire receptacle. I would ask an electrician to see if it is possible to rewire the room so it is more functional. Any device that would allow you to turn off the overhead light would make the existing lamp (bulb) too long.

If the overhead fixture is a 5 or 6 inch diameter recessed downlight with an R or PAR 30 or 40 spot/flood, you might be able to substitute a smaller PAR 20 halogen or LED spot/flood that might allow enough space for a remote switching device.

There are also compact LED lamps that can be remote controlled for color that I think can also be turned off remotely.

Here is a link that might be useful: remote controlled color LED lamp

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

NostalgicFarm - It sounds in this case like Renovator8's suggestion of rewiring would be the best idea since it sounds like it isn't an issue only for the Christmas lights. You might be able to get additional plugs added that aren't switch controlled or you might be able to separate the overhead light which would still be switch controlled from the plugs which would then have the plugs not switch controlled.

We have an X10 system that we use for controlling our window candles. The candles plug into the switch plug and then all the candles can be turned on or off either automatically at one time or manually from one switch. Our system came with light sockets rather like the one pictured above, but we've never used them. They probably could be used with lights that have covers that would camouflage them, but we've never had a reason to need them.

• lolauren
    9 years ago

On the outlet, have you tested that both the bottom and top socket are controlled by the switch? You probably have, but just in case....

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Phillips HUE. We have 3 HUE LED bulbs in our LR because the lamps are on switches. They work quite well, and you can change color of them as well (you could make them green and red for christmas if you really wanted to).

• Vanessafox
    9 years ago

I have Hue lights everywhere, and they are super awesome and do a million cool things (click on icon on my phone to turn all the lights in the house a soft blue in the morning; have the lights automatically come on dimly as the sun goes down, turn all lights on super bright if I hear a weird noise, etc.).

But for one light controlled by an outlet, you could also look into WeMo (see link).

Here is a link that might be useful: WeMo

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus