Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jairosmom

Fireplace help

Michelle
9 years ago

Hi all. Working in designing our fireplace with built ins. Pic is very similar to the look we want. Our ceilings are only 9' high. Can anyone help with how high the mantel should be? DH wants between 66 and 68", but I feel like that will be too close to ceiling.

Comments (11)

• jdez
    9 years ago

Michelle, we have a similar set up with vaulted ceilings in the LR but the vault on that wall is at 9 ft. Would you still be interested in knowing how high the mantle is?

If so, it is a 6" thick mantel. From the floor the bottom of the mantel is at 67-1/2" and the top of the mantel is at 73-1/2". This leaves about 3 ft of space between the mantel and the ceiling (not exact measurement). Ours may be placed higher because DH is tall and had the set our hearth at 19" before putting the hearthstone on. Hope that helps.

This post was edited by JDez on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 22:09

• Michelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes please JDez. :)

• jdez
    9 years ago

See above post for specs. Here's an iphone pic. Sorry if it's not upright.

This post was edited by JDez on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 22:22

• HappyValleyHome
    9 years ago

Michelle,
    Our ceilings are 9' and we put the mantle at 58". At that height it seemed really tall before it was put in but looks good in place. We also wanted to be able to place a tv above it so that weighed in on the height decision. I know you had asked in build section on materials for my fireplace surround...thought I had posted a reply but think I forgot to submit it. The surround is 1/2"x1" Polished Carrara herringbone tile. I got it from Stone Center Online. It looks gre at now but both my tiler and builder who put it up in different areas in the house tell me that it was a nightmare to work with as the water kept dissolving the mesh and they had to hand place a lot of it. It was around $9/ sq ft vs the $40/sq ft if I had ordered it through my tile supplier.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Michelle-
    I think that would be too high. We have 9' ceilings and ours is 63 1/2" from the ground - about 15" higher than the firebox. Mine at 63 1/2" feels a little high to me but we tried to keep in spec with the fireplace manufacturer's recommendations on distance above firebox. I wouldn't want it any higher. We have a hearth and that adds quite a bit to the height from the get go.

That was my inspiration picture too. ;) We scaled back on the built ins but it's still kinda similar?

Minimalist holiday decor this year with my son's 7 pt buck mount on the mantle (sigh - but he was thrilled so it has it's place of honor for this year, lol).

{{gwi:2134700}}

• Michelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'd start with the size of the TV and the height you want it at, then decide the rest.

• Mat
    8 years ago

Autumn, can you provide more measurements of your fireplace? You have the exact setup that we want in our living room but we only have 7.5' ceilings.

How tall is your hearth? Firebox? Distance between top of firebox and bottom of mantle? Mantle? Is the 62.5" to the top of the mantle?

• JDS
    8 years ago

I'm tired of TVs near the ceiling in restaurants and bars so I certainly wouldn't want one in my home.

• autumn.4
    8 years ago

Mat - sorry I didn't see this until now.

Floor to the hearth is 13" (including the hearth stones). From the hearth to the top of the firebox where the stone starts is 33 1/2". From the top of the firebox to the bottom of the mantle is 17" (our mantle is as high as I'd ever want to go - I wish it was a little lower actually but we followed mfg suggested distance). The mantle itself is 8 1/4" tall. From the floor to the bottom of the mantle is 63 1/2" so to the top it's 71 3/4".

With 7.5' ceilings I'd want a smaller mantle. Is it possible to skip the hearth? That would help give you more workable space.

Good luck!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?