Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucyinmn

Seeking some help...

LucyinMN
9 years ago

Hello Everyone! I'm here hoping some posters can give me some numbers on what I can expect to pay for building a house. I would only need the shell of the house built (basement, framing, plumbing, electrical, hvac)I have a family friend that drywalls and paints, and my father is a cabinet maker so he'll be making those and doing all trim work plus laying the floor. The floor plan I'm leaning towards is a rectangular ranch and its 1960 square feet. Full basement. I'm hoping I have enough saved up to just be able to pay cash forit all. Will any of you garden webers be willing to share some numbers on what I can eexpect to pay!? Thanks so much in advance to those that help!

Comments (7)

• robin0919
    9 years ago

I hate to say it, but nobody here can help you unless they are in the same area you are. Prices vary 'greatly' across the country. The friends that will be your subs can probably get you in touch with the other subs to get pricing for their areas for the build.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Not only will pricing vary by region, but material costs will too, depending on what kinds of insulation, siding, etc.

• LucyinMN
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah I know I'm definitely reaching here and asking a question thats tough to answer. Im planning on vinyl siding, and basically builders grade materials. Would $100,000 get me a shell? $125k? $150k? Thanks for taking the time to respond it means so much to me! I just don't want to walk into something without having a clue on what to expect.

• zone4newby
    9 years ago

It doesn't just depend on your area and plan, but also on your lot. If you've got a lot in a subdivision that's cleared with utilities right there, that would be cheaper than if you have raw land out in the middle of nowhere.

I don't think anyone can give you a number that you should plan on over the internet. Can your family friend refer you to a local builder who could give you an idea of what kind of cost you'd be looking at?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Regardless of whatever your budget is, be sure to add at least 30%, maybe 50% to cover cost overages as there are ALWAYS cost overages in any build.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

You could start getting a general idea by looking at the prices of new, similar houses in your area. Look at a lot of real estate and houses in developments and take note of what the differences in price are between houses with certain features and levels of quality.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

The problem is, with the little info you've provided, the answer could be anywhere in the range of $100,000 to $500,000 -- or higher -- depending on factors too numerous to list. Sorry, but you aren't going to get any info here that will be useful to you. Get a couple of contractors to visit and give you a ballpark figure, It will be way more accurate than any guesses we can make for you.