Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mirandajae

Finally finishing our basement!

mirandajae
9 years ago

I am so excited we are finishing our basement. We have been talking about it for the past year or so and suddenly the builder we had asked to do it called and let us know he can start in about 4 weeks!

We weren't expecting on starting for a good 2 months so I'm not quite prepared mentally. I had tried making my own design/layout on Homestyler which just ended badly. I could never get it to save. I got super frustrated so I finally talked to an Interior Designer who seems to have a good head on her shoulders and is (or seems to be) very organized. We just got the contract back from her and my husband is thinking her price is too high. I have nothing to compare it to since I have never hired an interior designer before in my life!

Now we are trying to decide if it is worth having her help with the actual basement plans (size of rooms/etc), help find/coordinate materials, furniture and all that. Or if I should just try to do it myself. We have a general idea of what the layout of the basement has to be due to the egress windows we put in when we built the basement and where the plumbing is already piped in due to our geothermal in-floor heat. What we dont know is what to do with this long awkward part of the living area and how exactly to do our wet bar we are wanting to incorporate into our staircase.

Part of me is REALLY wanting her around. I would love to have another person help me make these decisions. The other part of me is thinking Im pretty creative and can figure it out, but Im afraid it will take quite a bit longer to get done.

Anyone have any pros/cons?? I really just need some insight!

Comments (2)