Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eastlake_gw

Choosing a Builder

eastlake
11 years ago

I need help with what I realize is a tough question for others to help with. We are very close to hiring a builder. My wife and I, together with our architect, started with a list of 6 builders and interviewed each and asked for preliminary bids. After this process, we narrowed it down to 2 we really liked.

Their estimates were within 1% of each other. We've seen several houses each has built and talked to many references (both they gave us and others we tracked down on our own). Literally glowing reports from everyone about each. After all of this work, I honestly don't know how to choose. Our architect is practically giddy at the opportunity to work with either after seeing their work and doesn't have a strong opinion on one versus the other.

What else can I do to help with this decision? This is our first time building and although we've done some major renovations, I'm confident either one of these builders would avoid the only issues we ever had with those jobs. Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Who has more jobs they are juggling, versus who has time for you?

Who do you think is solvent?

What do subs say about them?

• andi_k
    11 years ago

Agree with mtnrdredux....who has time for you? While my builder is a small custom builder, he had 4 jobs going at the same time. Honestly, the amount of attention we received I would have never known he had any other projects going on at the same time. He did have a supervisor who was the daily point of contact, but there wasn't one thing he didn't know about or help manage throughout the process. That was huge for us.

Also, what about change orders throughout the build?warranty? fixing things after you move in?

We had 2 we debated between. At the end of the day, we picked the one we just liked better. To quote my husband "he's just a regular guy", which we liked.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

A good question.

It's very important to have strong confidence in your builder, and feel that you have a compatible "personal" relationship with the person who will be building and billing you for one of your major investments in your lifetime.

You also need to balance the "feel good" criterion, however, with the builder's experience with similar successful construction projects.

You also need to have a builder who has a strong and successful sense of business and conducts his work in a professional, business-like manner. This includes your witholding 10% of each progress payment until you reach substantial completion and occupancy (as is standard in all AIA agreemnts for construction), and your confidence in his (and your) ability to manage and control change orders during the construction period.

A key reference check is to ask owners for whom the contractor has done previous work what the amount of change orders were, and who was responsible for the added costs.

It really doesn't matter if the builder is a "good ole boy", if he hasn't successfully built what you want built, if he wants payments weekly and more often(unless you are on a time and materials contract), and if he is known for numerous change orders during construction.

Good luck on your project.