Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen15_gw

Shutters on all windows? help please!

Karen15
10 years ago

Im thinking shutters might look odd on the window next to the front door. But will that be weird not having them on all windows? Or should we not put they above door either?

Comments (29)

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Basically we would still have them put headers on the windows even without shutters. What happened is the builder assumed we wanted shutters on all windows so he said he'd have to take siding down to do a trim around windows without shutters. I don't have a cost yet but the headers and shutters are no extra cost. They will be cream.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or do we just get shutters on all windows with headers so they all match the trim ?

• mushcreek
    10 years ago

There is a trend back to historic accuracy when it comes to shutters. What that means is that the shutters need to be sized so that they could be functional, even if they are not. Obviously, double windows don't work, as the shutters would be huge.

All that being said, there are many, many houses today with 'wrong' shutters. so many so that they are the rule, rather than the exception. Correct shutters are actually pretty rare. I do agree that the window next to the door would look odd with shutters, though. If it were me, I would photoshop shutters in on your picture to get an idea what they would look like. Ultimately, it is up to you what you like, despite what the 'design police' say.

Maybe you could google 'correct shutter size' or something, and see if there are some tips for dealing with non-traditional window sizes and shapes.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm also wondering if I should do an accent color for the shutters instead of cream.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

My vote is for NO shutters on the double windows... and for properly sized ones on the rest (if you want shutters at all).

• bpath
    10 years ago

What about a warm, deep red for the shutters, and maybe the same color header on the two doubles?

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been trying to find a house on google this color to see what color shutters they have. I'm thinking of a brown (muscat brown) and possible a cherry/deep red front door. Our siding is Tuscan clay and the trim is adobe cream.

• worthy
    10 years ago

Most shutters are in colours contrasting to the house, either lighter or darker.

Shutters would definitely add interest to the facade. But, inappropriately sized or fitted ones will be risible. There are double window shutters, but you can forego them altogether.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would the color of garage door have to match shutters as well?

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I have and I've also looked on houzz. Very addicting website might I add. All of the Tuscan clay homes that pop up have white trim. I've managed to use a program to design the house online. I couldn't find any with cream trim like we have.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Im leaning towards this look. There's no tuscan clay garage door but there is sandstone, desert tan or brown.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm thinking a white garage wont look good even though it's on the side. We will have cream columns in the front.

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

hi karen, is this what you had in mind?

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Maggie, as long as you have that in your photoshop, can you add the shutters to the 2nd story center window?
    I know they won't be the appropriate size as if it were a working window, but as someone upthread said, it's gotten to be the norm to see shutters that aren't sized as if to fit closed.
    I really like the color combo, especially w the slightly brown-red door on the one that you posted Karen.

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

here you go marji/karen! :)

i added headers everywhere too, and though the photoshopping isn't great, i'm not sure the headers work on the upper windows.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow! Thanks for doing that, it's much appreciated. We were thinking no shutters above the front door.Everything else is great.

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

like this?

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

oops - i accidentally removed the color treatment so the shutters got lighter in that last pic, but you get the idea. :)

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Perfect! Thank you so much. I'm such a visual person so that really helps a lot and confirms my choice:)

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know the garage is facing the side, but does anyone have a suggestion for color? Basically there's brown (match shutters), cream (match trim) or tan (match siding)....

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

It's my thought that you don't want to highlight a garage, so if it's attached I'd match the siding.
    Oh, do you mean garage door?

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The garage. Oh I didn't even think of the door. Hmmm will that be odd if that's white and we match garage to siding?

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

with vinyl siding, i'm used to seeing the garage door match the trim on the house, so i'd envision yours being cream. it's attached, and a drive-under right?

this was the garage at our last house - gray siding, black shutters, white trim. it was on the side of the house, and was a drive-under family room, though not visible from the street. {{gwi:1519881}}

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes it is attached next to the lovely dumpster. Hmm I do like the contrast too.

• nepool
    10 years ago

I like the garage door to match the trim around it- so that would be cream in your case. I agree that the garage itself (since its attached and a part of the house) should be the same siding as the house (tan).

Are you set on brown for shutter color? You could give it a little more pop with black, and step out of the brown family a bit. So it would be tan house, cream trim & garage door, black shutters and red door. Just an idea.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No we're not set on Brown. Im waiting for shutter and garage color samples.We do have black lights ooutside garage.

• Debra Devries
    4 years ago

can you install shutters on crank-out windows? If not, what is the best option for window treatments

• ptreckel
    4 years ago

Most window manufacturers sell low profile window cranks for their windows. Shutters might fit, depending on how they are installed. Get a low profile crank and try it out to see the clearance needed.