Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this light too big for our entry foyer?

Posted by storyofmylife (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 20:48

Hi everyone - I'm looking for some feedback on a hanging lantern for our entry foyer.

We found this lantern that we really like - http://www.build.com/designers-fountain-23853-am-orb-3-light-foyer-pendant-from-the-sedona-collection/p855738

The dimensions, according to the website, are 33 inches tall and 19 inches wide. Our foyer is 13.5 ft long x 7 ft wide with a vaulted ceiling. The ceiling height, at the walls, is 9 ft 6 inches and rise to 11 ft, 9 inches at the center. There are three 8 ft doors in the foyer - the entry door, the entry closet (double doors), and the powder room (just to put some context of the foyer).

I found some sizing guidelines on the web, and the light seems to be within those guidelines. For example, the width of the light in inches should be approximately the length of the room plus the width of the room (13 + 7 = 20 inches). The height of the light, in inches, should be between 2.5 to 3 times multiplied by the ceiling height (29.4 to 35.5 inches).

That said, when I tried to visualize using a measuring tape, I couldn't help but think - this light seems too big. Granted, I know people tend to err on the side of having a light that is too small for the room, but wondering if I am erring on the side of a light that is too big for the space.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this light too big for our entry foyer?

Get yourself a dry cleaning bag or other large plastic bag, stuff with crumpled newspaper and wrap with tape to approximate the shape of the fixture...have someone hold it up and take a look...best way I know to judge.

o

It is not too big for the space as you described. I would confirm how much chain it comes with to ensure you can hang it at the desired height above the finished floor.

o

Photo of your light:

o

We have this exact light in our foyer. Out of the box it seems huge. Our foyer dimensions are 11 feet 3 inches in length by 6 feet 8 inches wide, however, the foyer is open on 2 sides to other rooms. The foyer ceiling is vaulted with the peak at 17 feet.

We love this large light as it is a good size for the space and can be seen outside the large transom over the 8 foot entry door.

However, for your ceiling height you might consider the next smaller size. Good luck in your selection.
bgj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here