Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gingerjenny

The big picture- trying to make it cohesive

gingerjenny
11 years ago

I just posted a big post over on the decor forum. I'd love the opinion of this board too.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg1220022517841.html?3

Basically I'm having an awful time trying to plan the colors of basically everything in my future home. I feel like if I pick a cabinet color than my furniture has to be a certain color...and my floors than have to be a different color and then I can only have this type of island....its driving me nuts.

Basically I feel like if I pick on element wrong the whole house will be off and look funny. My current house is so hodgepodge I really want to avoid this in my next house.

I think I have a few things picked out. grey paint, white trim, and dark hardwood floors. My problem is I just bought a new table a few months ago that I have to use in the new home because It was rather expensive. I love it but I'm not sure it will go with the other items I'm picking. Could you please follow the link and see the photos and let me know what you think? I'm driving myself batty!

Here is a link that might be useful: The big picture

Comments (11)

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

If you are going batty, why not just retain a design professional to help and advise you, and relax?

Good luck with your project!

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I want to pick a lot of it out i'm just overwhelmed. I am scared if I just pick what I like one item will not work and later be too expensive to replace.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Hire a designer. It's really not that expensive.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

The idea is to have an overall plan for the space(s) and all of the furnishings and finishes. Then, one buys (or builds) a few pieces at a time, consistent with the plan and one's budget.

Design professionals think and visualize this way, rather than just thinking about and buying a single object at a time.

You need to learn to visualize and think holistically or retain a design professional who can do this for you.

Good luck on your project!

• pps7
    11 years ago

This is difficult bc the mission style dining table and hutch. Are you building a craftsman home that goes with this style? I am all about mixing styles but the mission style is hard to mix. Are you doing only one paint color? A darker richer color for the dining room might work better and maybe lighten the floors a little bit.

Here are a few pictures:
    I love this craftsman kitchen!

My son's bedroom which has mission style furniture. The floors are dark but not quite as dark as in your picture.

This post was edited by pps7 on Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 9:52

• momto3kiddos
    11 years ago

Hi gingerjenny - We are building right now (at the framing stage), and I have made similar color selections. None of my furniture is mission style, instead, more traditional-transitional. Most of our furniture is darker wood, so we are doing unstained or lightly stained white oak floors. I am planning to use BM Revere Pewter... it looks grey, but is a bit warmer than most greys. The paint chip looks more beige, but in pics I have seen reads grey. We are planning cherry stained kitchen cabinets with a grey/taupe island. What has helped me pull everything together is choosing a fabric for my curtains in the open living room/kitchen area. It has helped me pick the paint color and cabinet/island color. It seems backwards, but it has worked so well for me. We are planning to buy new furniture (sofas and chairs) for the living area and I will go very neutral with this upholstery. With the island color and wall colors, I should be able to go warmer or cooler in tone depending on what I find.

Good luck! The decisions can be overwhelming, but just wait until you are obsessing about door hardware, trim style, etc... they you have to remind yourself people notice paint colors, lights and furniture... not the small details.

• gingerjenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

momto3kiddos - BM revere pewter is one of the colors I'm considering as well. I really like the look of it. If you have a pinterest account you can see several rooms painted in that color.

pps7- the home will be in craftsman style.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Basically I'm having an awful time trying to plan the colors of basically everything in my future home. I feel like if I pick a cabinet color than my furniture has to be a certain color... and my floors than have to be a different color and then I can only have this type of island....its driving me nuts.

That's the nature of designing anything. Each choice you make restricts the remaining choices. So the trick is to make sure that you figure out which element is the most important to you or to the project, and what the overall feel you are trying to create.

Start with the elements that will be the hardest, or most expensive, to replace. Cabinets and countertops and woodwork. Then whatever is hardest to find ... usually upholstered furniture and rugs. Paint comes last, because you can get anything you need.

Wood tones usually blend well if you don't get far from their natural tones. "Merlot" stained cabinets, on the other hand, go with nothing.

Wood also blends well with accent pieces in paint or gilt finishes. A laquered chinese

pps7- the home will be in craftsman style.

The Craftsman or Arts and Crafts movement has two main sub-styles. There is the light, simple farmhouse style. Then there is the richer, more ornate styling influenced by Morris and Stickley. They overlap into Art Nouveau on one end and Art Deco on the other.

• whallyden
    11 years ago

Good advice from Lazygardens about the order of operations. When we worked with our desinger we tackled items in a similar order:

(1) Wall, Floor, Ceiling, Trim, and Cabinet finishes.
    (2) Countertops.
    (3) Rugs, stair runners and carpet
    (4) Furniture, Fixtures, Fabrics and Window Treatments
    (5) Accessories and Art

That said, if you are overwhelmed you should hire a pro.

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Hiring a designer is a lot cheaper than having to rip out things and redo them because they don't work together. Not everything you love belongs in the same room, or even the same house. Unless your design style is Ecclectic Schizophrenia.

• rroo
    11 years ago

I so could have written your post and am stressing about the same things. We really don't have design professionals in the small area that I live. I first ordered our cabinets which are a antique cream (off white) and next a bamboo look dark brown tile. We planned to use carpet in the living room area as we perfer the softness for our little ones to play on. Now as I am trying to pick paint colors I realized that our cabinets actually have a peach undertone and I want to use warm grey based colors (possibly Edgecomb Gray, Revere Pewter or Winds Breath). I cannot find a carpet that I really like and I've got the final options (all just different tones of off white) sitting out of the floor right now as I have to make a decision in a few days. I seem to like one color best at night and another color best in the daylight and than I look at them from a different angle and get all indecisive again. I'm driving my husband crazy! It is very hard to picture how everything will go together. Good luck!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert