Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fabbyone

HELP! vinyl round top windows vs square fiberglass marvin

fabbyone
14 years ago

Thanks in advance for your opinion. I have a european style house that was designed with round top windows on the first floor front of the house. I priced out the marviin interity fiberglass windows and they were way over budget compared to the monticetto milgard vinyl window (a upper level vinyl). I can bring the cost of the fiberglass window way down if I eliminate the round top window and go with a square window, maybe with a transom over the dominant windows.

The square transoms does change the appearance somewhat but what I gain is in having fiberglass windows rather than vinyl.

What should I do?

Comments (42)

• macv
    14 years ago

How could anyone know what windows shapes to use on a house design they have never seen? I have no idea what a European style house might look like.

• fabbyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am glad someone was actually out there in cyber land to hear my plea. I wanted to post a pic of the exterior but alas, I am computer inhibited. I will research to try and post something to work with. my bad.

Can't you just pick one?

• marthaelena
    14 years ago

I just love some of macv answers :)
    I had to smile at this one.

An European style house could be anything from a Tuscan villa to Country French or an English cottage just to mention a few. Is it a Spanish Colonial or an Alpes Chalet?

Some persons here can help you to place the pic in here. You need to upload it using tinypic.com or photobuckt

• macv
    14 years ago

Go to Tinypic.com and browse until you find your JPG photo then download it and click on the top line of code and paste that into the message box and preview it. If it fills the screen you need to reduce the size of it.

• fabbyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

TA-DAA!!! A computer scientist is born.

(acceptance speech please?) I would like to thank the academy of Garden Web, and all those who supported me through the difficult times, especially MACV and Marthaelena

• macv
    14 years ago

"French Inspired" home designs often use arch-top casement windows or rectangular casements in arch top openings but to me round-top windows seem entirely out of place in your design. IMHO they are too formal and would be more appropriate in public/institutional/religious buildings rather than in a home but in any event I would avoid using them together in the same building.

• fabbyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

macv, you are quite the interesting sort, aren't you? I can say, WOW, you are all over the board. Slight sarcasm, in-depth analysis, worldly and well-schooled in architectural details. I am impressed and will have to buy you a beer someday.

So, would I be better off switching to transom style windows like on the left elevation view, or keep a square single casement and place in a rounded brick arch?

Thank you for all of your insights.

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

My only concern with switching profiles is the proportion - you want to be sure you don't leave a large gap because you are switching out windows . . . this is where a talented architect comes in play. I am all about proportion and I have seen too many houses where things were switched around and they just don't look right. Wonder if you can get a consult on this from someone (designer/architect) you trust?

I think substituting the arched windows is a great idea asthetically but don't know how to implement it :)

• fabbyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sounds look good advise, is one beer enough?

thank you.

• tinycastles
    14 years ago

fabbyone-

Do what YOU like, and what works within your budget. I wouldn't give two squats what other people think in regard to this purely aesthetic dilemma. No matter what you do, your house will not appeal to everyone. It's that simple. People always say build with resale in mind....well, in this case I hardly think you would lose a sale because you used rounded top windows vs. square. I will give you an example.

This is an exterior that I like.

This is an actual photo of the house. Notice the owner opted to use all arched windows instead of the combination of the two styles as depicted by the house designer. I prefer arched. I am sure some people would prefer all to be rectangular. Some people probably want to puke just looking at the house. You win some, you lose some. IMHO, I think your house is lovely as is. I like the arched windows. Good luck on your project, keep us posted:)

• marthaelena
    14 years ago

When do you need to figure this out?
    What is the dim. from sill to header on the first floor windows? This might mandate what you are to use, maybe you have to use a transom.

I'd suggest to use arch-top casement windows with segmental arch (like the porch arch) on the first floor. They are as or more expensive than using a window plus arch-top transom but if money is tight my next choice would be rectangular casements in arch-top openings, specially if you are using real stucco (I hope so) or EIFS. You will save on arc shaped trims for the interior - they could be expensive if custom made but most window manufacturers sells those to match the arch.
    I'd forget the muntins on most windows but the one above the porch.
    I'd also change the entry door transom and place a segmental one if the ceiling height allows.

Do you need/want all the windows to be operable? You could save a little bit if you use some "pictures" (non operable window frames) at places where you only need light.

By the way, are you sure you want the porch roof to be like that? (see side elevation) You will need crickets. I'd suggest to do the same you have at the ends bump outs.

I'd forget the cupula and put that money on the windows and maybe I'd get rid of the key stone over the windows.

• marthaelena
    14 years ago

fabbyone,
    The windows depicted in tinycastles post will perfectly work for you. Casement with segmental arch-top transom.
    The transom shape over the door is exactly what I meant. I guess I was writting when she posted the pics. I could have saved the long explanation.

My personal preference is to go with an abstraction of the "european style" and not necessarily to be "historically accurate" because if that were the case, you'll need to place it in europe at "that" time.
    The main thing is for it to be pleasant.
    I do respect the architects that wants to keep their design historically accurate.

• phillipeh
    14 years ago

I've never had true half-round arch windows, but in our old house we had the eyebrow-arch windows across the front -- and they are very difficult to find interior treatments for.

Our new house has a single large eyebrow arch window in the dining room. We have blinds in it right now and we left the top arch part open. We have transom windows over the regular windows in our living room, and they look nice, plus they let in natural light. And you can leave them uncovered (the regular windows have Roman shades) and it doesn't look like a temporary fix. Unless you are just absolutely determined to have the arch top windows, I'd recommend a squared-off transom.

• macv
    14 years ago

The concept of historic accuracy is not actually relevant for this type of house because its design it is not derived from buildings from a particular era or culture as are recognized historical architectural styles. This kind of house originated with a popular romantic American domestic architectural trend between 1915 and 1945 that modified and combined architectural elements from a wide range of French buildings from a period of many centuries.

When a design is a combination of elements from different historical styles it is called "eclectic" rather than "historic". When these refined and culturally significant elements are further modified and adapted to fit together in a modern American structure, they can fall short of the usual definition of eclecticism and are more appropriately called "inspirations". Therefore the OPÂs house design would be called "French Eclectic" to distinguish it from different types of historical French architecture and if the elements have been further modified it would be called "French Inspired". The farthest from history would be "European Inspired" which might bear a resemblance to everything and nothing at the same time like tinycastleÂs example which seems to be inspired by medieval English and French buildings and Darth Vader.

So the relevant issue is not historical accuracy but inspirational integrity. Copying copies can lead to a muddle. When uncertain about the design of a romantic eclectic building it is often good to revisit the inspiration and that was the purpose of my photos.

Historical accuracy would not be relevant unless you wanted to be true to the American French Eclectic houses of the 20Âs and 30Âs which vary greatly but are generally more subtly romantic and charming than the current trend.

• macv
    14 years ago

I meant to include a link to Antique Home which seems to have a better than usual grasp of American home styles.

Here is a link that might be useful: French Eclectic Houses

• marthaelena
    14 years ago

macv,
    Is it possible to email or contact you?
    If not, could you email me?
    I could post my email.
    Thanks

• dancingsams
    14 years ago

fabbyone:
    Here is another vote for arched. We have done it twice and absolutely love the outcome. On the otherhand, it really depends on what YOU like.

You are debating between vinyl and fiberglass. If you live in a high fire danger zone, definitely go with fiberglass. Vinyl will melt in high heat causing you to lose the window and give fire access to the house interior. (We live in high fire zone and everything is fiberglass, hardiplank, concrete and steel).

good luck!

• fabbyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm back! And another big 'WOW' for all the great insights. I am in awe at some of the expert advise. Macv and Marthaelena, thank you.

Today, I actually went by the Marvin integrity people and got to see the casement window. Before now, I had only seen there double hung in person. What a beautiful window. I think I am going to get them if I can work the final numbers. The monticetto milgard was a very nice vinyl, but I have read some concerns of vinyl changing in 10 years. They do have a great warranty, the milgards, but the marvin just looks way better.

What I think is going to work in the budget so that I can get the fiberglas window, is to eliminate the round top windows, go with a square transom on the main three group window, and then perhaps do a brick arch like macv suggested on the side windows........maybe. To get the elliptical arch window like described above, the marvin was limited to a 6' wide transom, I need at least 7' for the space.

I hope to post some pics of the build soon, they have started the waterproofing on the poured basement.

Thanks again for all the great responses. I am going to be running out of beer at this rate. And that 'French eclectic" beer can get expensive.

• tinycastles
    14 years ago

Macv- right on! I have been wondering what force was drawing me to that house... Well, you've nailed it with your stylistic description. I am a HUGE Star Wars fan.

• fabbyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have attempted an autocad correction of the window shapes. Any thoughts? I have transoms over the center window and added a double main entry with 3/4 french lites. The far left window can have an arch in the stone above the window per macv discriptions. I could do this over some of the windows or not?

Tinycastles, what type of stone was used on that house? I like that, as you can see, I have gray stone accents on the house as well.

• marthaelena
    14 years ago

fabbyone,
    Would you like to send me your AutoCAD file so I can play with it?
    Looking at the new elevation, I think you are not there yet (and this is only my honest opinion)...but if you are happy with it, that's what counts, right? (according to some of the forum members).
    By the way, the proportions does not look the same as the ones on the original hand drawn elevation. Is it to scale? You do not show all the roof so it is looking odd to me. You are also changing the footprint. Does that mean that you are not done with your floor plan? It will help to see the floor plan.

• macv
    14 years ago

While you were looking at the windows someone redesigned your house.

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

I think the proportions are off now - which is why it is hard to switch windows. There seems to be too much space in between the top and bottom windows for starters. . .

• macv
    14 years ago

You need to draw a perspective instead of moving parts around on elevations. You need a "parti" (as the French would say).

• tinycastles
    14 years ago

fabbyone-

I have no idea what kind of stone was used, although I am assuming it is veneer or faux??? I really like that stone as well, so I am hoping someone with more knowledge pertaining to masonry will venture a guess.

If I were to build the pictured house or something similar, I would probably use some brick (maybe as accents over the windows, on a turret, etc.) to soften the look a little and make it look less "medieval". BTW, the house pictured is around 2,800 sq. ft.

• macv
    14 years ago

It is not easy adapting elements from French fortified medieval cities and rural towns with elements of French Renaissance chateau for an American wood framed house. The result can be forbidding like a "Crypt of the Vampire" movie set or elegant, romantic and charming. It''s a matter of proportion, balance, and detailing. I would consider it a very difficult architectural challenge.

Carcassone was built by the Romans and the French added the outer walls 700 years later so it has a bit of everything. I highly recommend a trip; stay inside the walls and walk the ramparts at night.

• macv
    14 years ago

• macv
    14 years ago

marthaelena
    You should either check your email or update it on your profile.

• marthaelena
    14 years ago

macv,
    I e-mailed you last night to js...
    Did you receive it?
    Thanks

• tinycastles
    14 years ago

macv- I would be very interested in seeing an example of a home that accomplishes the architectural challenge you discuss in your previous reply. Elegant, romantic, and charming.... do you have any pics or links you could post? Architects or books you recommend?

• macv
    14 years ago

These are two houses I happened to photograph on the way back from a project site meeting today.

I don't own any books on this subject but I'm sure they can be found on Amazon.com.

What I though was noteworthy about these houses is the careful composition and the quality and color of the stonework. I believe these houses were built in the 30's or 40's when architects were skilled in these styles.

• macv
    14 years ago

This is the stone from your earlier example. I hate to say it but it looks like some kind of plastic simulation of stone or the mason was three sheets to the wind. Don't pay for stonework veneer and not get something interesting and romantic.

• tinycastles
    14 years ago

Macv-

Thank you thank you thank you for posting those pics. I am not trying to derail this thread, but I wanted to follow up. Both have that "feel" I want to capture in my new house, but on a smaller scale (that first house would be my absolute dream house, but I have a hunch it is larger than we want to go.) I love the stonework, the details, the overall charm of both houses. That is unfortunate about the stone on the house I posted...the designer is Canadian and I am assuming the house is built in Canada somewhere. Not a product I have seen in my area.

• fabbyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

the autocad rendition above is taken from my preliminary drawings that I had made to give to the designer. I am not an expert. A long story, but the original designer was a guy my first builder recommended but turned out to be a costly mistake. He was in the middle of a divorce, strung out on anti-depressants, and did not complete the project. He also was not a CAD user. What a mistake. Needless to say, I deep-sixed this contractor and unfortunately learned an expensive lesson. I then started the project with another designer who finalized my plans similar to the last autocad design, but he used a different program, chief architect. I don't have that program, so I only posted changing the windows from my old autocad program. That is why the proportions and things don't look right. I do have a PDF file of the entire plans but I dont know how to convert them to either post, or email.
    I have thoroughly enjoyed all the insights. thanks again.

• macv
    14 years ago

You can post PDF's using the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: free PDF hosting

• fabbyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That was way cool. Here is my final plans.

http://freepdfhosting.com/271d0f7ccf.pdf

• marthaelena
    14 years ago

I like the hand drawn elevations better than the autoCAD/PDF ones; I prefer the roof line and the porch segmental arch. I also like the mirrored bump out at the ends. The windows is a different story.

• macv
    14 years ago

If you put the URL in the link box and give it a name, we don't have to copy and paste it to see it.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to PDF

• macv
    14 years ago

The closest I've come to designing a French Eclectic house is shown below. It ended up getting EIFS cladding and baby blue shutters contrary to the design drawings.

• fabbyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

macv,

that second house is just butt ugly. I don't care what year the architect designed it.....but that's just my opinion.

maybe we can stir up a few more fireworks?

Here is a link that might be useful: fabbyone house plans

• macv
    14 years ago

I'm not sure you're in a good position to call another person's house butt ugly especially if you want help with the silly thing you have created.

• fabbyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just trying to get a rise out of someone. And I did mean it in a most affectionate manner.

For those still interested, I am leaning heavily on going with the Marvin integrity and using the square transom rather than the vinyl curved tops. I think that I will do round brick details over the windows on the far left and right.

Macv, thank you for the pics you posted because they really helped in visualizing the french eclectic homes.