Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aam31

Master Closet construction advice

aam31
9 years ago

Hi everyone!

As our build progresses, I'm starting to explore master closet options. For reference, the closet will by 12.6 x 12 roughly. I've looked at two options for the closet ( both a mix of hanging space and shelving) and was wondering if anyone had any feedback for me as to which would be the best option.

1. I've recieved a plan from the Amish family who will be making all of my cabinetry. His construction will be solid wood.

2. I also recieved a proposal from a local closet organization service. Their construction is of course not solid wood, but a mix of plywoods, etc. they told me solid wood systems wouldn't hold up as well in closets and their material.

Thoughts? Suggestions????

Thank you!

Comments (9)

• Kathy Harrington
    9 years ago

We are using a closet company and they came out and drew out a design with our input. They are not installed yet, but I was very happy with the design. It is a mix of hanging, shelves, and drawers.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Solid wood systems don't hold up? Huh???

That said, I'd be fine with either plywood or solid wood. I'd decide based on aesthetic appearance and price.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

We have a solid wood system in our closet. What nonsense that particle board holds up better than solid wood!

Are you looking for suggestions on the design of the closet or on which company to use?

• aam31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Both places have given me design ideas. Im really looking for guidance as to solid wood vs. MDF.

The Amish solid wood price is almost the same as the closet company MDF price, although the Amish design has a few less shelving/hanging space dividers.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

I thought you said company #2 was a mix of plywoods. I take it you meant MDF/particleboard, not plywood? If so, then solid wood is hands-down better. I can't believe someone telling you MDF is better than solid wood.

I think I'd go with the Amish just on the basis that #2 is lying to you.

See if the Amish will add the bells and whistles you want.

• aam31
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for the confusion...Company #2 is "white laminated MDF which is much more amenable to closets and won't bow like solid wood."

The designer's quote comparing to Solid Wood....

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

We had custom builtin bookcases put in our current family room. The cabinet maker told us MDF shelves would stay straighter. We insisted on solid wood, and yes, they bow.

However, the mdf will break. So it comes down to how much weight you are putting on these shelves.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

All prices being semi-equal, I'd go with the Amish hands-down. Simply because, in my area, Amish/Mennonite craftsmen are the best. They use quality material and proven construction methods, are honest and clean, and strive to please.

• Jackie Kennedy
    9 years ago

I agree with littlebug5.....if the prices are comparable....I'd go with the Amish. They're local to where I live and the quality of products is unmatched. Generally, you pay a premium for the workmanship so I'm somewhat shocked the two prices are a close comparison.

With that said, I'd also check to see if they can design areas more closely matched to the closet design company so as to give you the additional shelving/hanging space. I'm quite sure they'd accommodate.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz