Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can overlay drawers be changed to inset ?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 19:47

I had a linen closet built into a bathroom, and the carpenter made the doors and drawers overlay instead of inset like the photo I showed him. Can this be changed easily?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can overlay drawers be changed to inset ?

Not easily not. The drawer fronts will have to be redone completely for size and either the glides will have to be moved back or the drawer cut down so that it's not so deep.

o

Ditto. Inset requires much more precision apparently so that is why it costs more . . .

o

It depends; there are many "ifs"
If the faceframe is presentable.
If the drawer box is separate from the face.
If he used Blum Tandem glides, or better.
If there is at least another inch of clearance at the back of the drawer box.
So lets say those conditions are all met, you will need to procure the proper Blum inset mount clips, then install the drawer boxes on them and trim the drawer face to fit the opening in the faceframe.
If some other conditions are extant, then more work would be required.
Casey

o

Whether or not they can easily be changed shouldn't be the question. If he didn't build the doors and drawers to your specifications (inset), he should do them over if you are unhappy with overlay, regardless of how "easy" it is. I know if I asked for inset, I wouldn't necessarily settle for overlay. Completely different look and price point.

o

This shouldn't be a retrofit at all. He should build you a new cabinet. And yes, part of the reason is that it's really difficult to retrofit. But the main reason should be that it isn't what you asked for.

o

I agree with SM.

Lots of variables, but I will say, yes, it can be done.. Anything can be done..

You dont need a new cabinet, either..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here