Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muma24

Need Floor plan help!!

muma24
9 years ago

We have purchased property and plan on building a 3 bedroom home with a full basement. I have searched and searched and searched for stock house plans that include everything I want. Basically, this is our wish list:
1. 3 bedrooms
2. extra large laundry room that you can gain entry to from the rear yard as well as the garage. And I mean large enough for w/d, dog bath, rolling table, coat hooks for 6 and clean laundry shelving
3. dual vanities in master with soaking tub and shower. Prefer his and her closets
4. a "pool" half bath. A half bath that is easily accessible from the rear yard so one does not have to trample through the house
5. Split bedrooms is preferred, although as long as they are not directly off a main living area that is ok as well. Especially the master.
6. Room for a built in desk or small office area.
7. I prefer the kitchen to be on an outside wall as well. 8.Large eating area attached to kitchen with no formal dining area
9. around 2000 sq ft or less on the main level. We plan on using our basement as living area as well.

1. Open or semi open.

Does your house look like this? Have you seen any plans online like this? I have tried to draw out what I want and I cannot figure it out on paper!! If anyone has any house plans that might work I would be so so very happy!!
I will try to include some plans in the comments that have certain things I like about them, but just don't fit the bill!

Comments (10)

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

around 2000 sq ft or less on the main level

Will the house be just one floor with a full basement? Which rooms are on the main floor and which rooms are in the basement?

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

It sounds like it might be easier or beneficial to contact an architect to have them draw up your plans. What you are looking for is not really what you find in a stock plan.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

You will probably have more luck, looking at older/70s floor plans. That's back when people had larger laundry rooms and pools :)

Here are a few with links to the eplans.com page that show the exterior and other details... {{gwi:2134649}}From Home floor plans

http://www.eplans.com/house-plans/epl/hwepl03254.html?from=search

This one does not have the garden room with easy access to half bath, but it does have an excellent clutter room! And half bath off that, as well as small greenhouse... {{gwi:2134650}}From Home floor plans

http://www.eplans.com/house-plans/epl/hwepl00613.html?from=search

This also comes with another facade option. You could use the powder room by the clutter room...or replace the dining room with a combination pool bath and pantry. Or, you could move the living room closer to the kitchen/dining room and have the pool bath/small office, between the master and living room. Lots of options! Hope this helps :)

http://www.eplans.com/house-plans/epl/hwepl00598.html?from=search

• bpath
    9 years ago

That is exactly the kind of floor plan I like...well, and grew up with, I guess! Offset the hall bath so you don't see it from the hall, and I'm all for it.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

LL's plans give the OP what they wanted, but are much larger than 2000 sq feet on the main level (3365 for the first and 2758 for the second). It is a good start for the OP to show that it may be tough to get all they want in the size they want.

• muma24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I do understand I may not get everything I want in the size I want, but hoping for the best. We considered an architect, but from what we have gathered, custom plans may be out of our budget. Our current home was built by my husband and father in law. We used stock plans and "tweaked" them along the way. I'm just not finding any that are capable of being tweaked though. I would like all the rooms I've mentioned on the main floor.
    I've included one plan I like. It is larger than 2000 sq feet, but has a laundry room where I prefer. I feel we could reconfigure the laundry/office into one large laundry/craft/storage/everything room like I'd like. What I don't know is where stairs to a basement could go and I also don't like the funky hall way to the kids rooms in the front. I'd also prefer the kids have a larger bath. I don't have the knowledge to know how to do this on paper or computer. Grrr!

Here is a link that might be useful: house plan

• muma24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lavender_lass I love that clutter room with the attached bathroom! I just wish it were in the rear. I have 4 kids. I would love to have a room they can enter after playing outside and strip off any dirty clothes and wash up if need be! I almost wish I could just squeeeeeze that master bedroom over to the left. That's a lot of living area/foyer area in the middle!

This post was edited by muma24 on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 10:31

• User
    9 years ago

Architects are not that expensive. And you really need one.

• Aims
    9 years ago

You have a pretty specific wish list. You could at least visit an architect and get an idea of cost.

It depends on what area you live in, but architects in our area are pretty reasonable. We paid around $1,600 for 2,200 sq foot house. Our lot is a different shape so we felt like an architect would help us design a house that would fit the lot in the best way and our needs with my husband working midnight shift at times and long term if his chronic illness progresses and he ends up in a wheel chair.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Think of the spaces as building blocks. Print these off and do some cut and paste! Once you start seeing things that you like, try stretching some areas and shrinking others.

Will it be perfect? No, but it will give you some ideas and a good start. If you find you need a clutter room and a pool bath, maybe they can go by each other...and the pool bath can also be the back door 'I came in a mess from gardening' bath :)

Once you have a good idea what you want and need, then get more professional help. Or keep looking through plans and say, "I can put the clutter room where they have that extra bedroom" or some such thing.

Knowing what you need and want is always important! And then making that fit into your budget constraints, the land you find, best sunlight and views etc. is where the real fun starts! LOL