Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

Pot and pan storage ideas.

Aims
9 years ago

We have some storage planned on lower cabinets for pots and pans. I am starting to look at some organizational options and wanted some people's experiences.

{{gwi:2134636}}

Contemporary Kitchen by Oak Brook Cabinets & Cabinetry Innermost Cabinets

2. Rev A Shelf Storage. Would help with the organization instead of just randomly putting things away.

{{gwi:2134637}}

Traditional Spaces by Sacramento Kitchen & Bath Fixtures Drawerslides.com

3. Like this idea. You can keep the bigger pots on the bottom, shorter sauce pans in the middle, and lids on top.

{{gwi:2134638}}

Contemporary Kitchen by Norfolk Kitchen & Bath Remodelers Absolute Kitchen And Bath

We have a large lazy Susan planned in the island for all the kitchen gadgets my hubby has, and separate storage for cookie sheets.
What are you doing in your kitchen?

Comments (23)

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

I myself will never have another double door pullout. I have one now and it's a pain to open both doors to pull out a shelf . Maybe you won't mind,
    But in my new build I have one single door pullout, a huge lazy Susan and the rest drawers along with a walkin pantry next to the frig.
    However I think the first one with two drawers that would fit taller pans would be my choice.

This post was edited by zorroslw on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 11:30

• mdln
    9 years ago

No doors, drawers only!

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

None of those is as useful as a single large drawer stack.

• mrsb1227
    9 years ago

I have pull outs now and don't love them, my new build will have large drawers for the pots and pans.

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For those who are saying drawers and not doors, can you tell me why? I haven't had these type of options before so I wanna get it right!

How about this?

{{gwi:2134639}}

[Transitional Spaces[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-home-design-ideas-phbr1-bp~s_2112) by Decatur Kitchen & Bath Designers Renewal Design-Build

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

We're going mostly drawers, too. I hate lower cabinets; you have to get on hands and knees to get to things in the back. Open a crowded cabinet, and I'll bet 2/3's of it is wasted space, unless you have some kind of inserts. If you're starting from scratch, just build drawers, unless you like the look of conventional door cabinets. Our new kitchen will have 34 drawers. I'm going to incorporate the toe space into the bottom drawers so that they are extra deep. I've measured, and everything we own will fit in the drawers except our KA mixer, which is too heavy to lift all the time anyway.

Judging from the way a lot of people cook these days (present company excluded), most people keep their pots and pans at local restaurants!

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

For those who are saying drawers and not doors, can you tell me why?

The photos you first posted required you to first open two doors, and then slide open the drawer inside. In last photo you posted you only have to open the drawer to get out a pot.

• pps7
    9 years ago

I also have drawers only.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Read on GW, think twice before getting cabinet that requires "kneepads & headlamp."

Why (other than cost savings) open a door AND pull out a drawer, when you can skip a step and - just pull out the drawer?

Love drawers, easy to see everything in them, nothing is hidden. Using one as a "wine drawer" (at least until I can get a wine rack).

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Just read the Kitchen Forum for a couple of weeks and you will have a much better handle on creating the most functional kitchen for your family.

• nini804
    9 years ago

When we built, fortunately I already read about drawers on GW! Love them!! So much better than the doors and pull out shelves in my old house.

• mrsb1227
    9 years ago

Well one reason I hate the pull outs is that the inside of my cabinets have knicks in them from my kids pushing on the doors when I'm trying to get something out of there. It is also an extra step versus just opening a drawer. Also, if u overload the pull out when you go to pull it out sometimes something falls behind it and then I have to dig it out or it won't close properly. With drawers I will be able to use every single inch of that space since it is all contained within "walls". With pull outs the only stationary part is the base, the back is gone once you pull it out.
    I also personally like the look of big drawers in a kitchen. My pot and pan drawers will be in my island.

• RobGT90
    9 years ago

I like drawers and use two for my pots and pans now. We put them in with lids on and have 4 sauce pans in one with lids on. I like having the pan and lid together as that is how I typically use them instead of having to find everything. Plus the ones in the photo look good, but when closed you don't see them anyway.

Also like deep drawers instead of shallow ones. In one cabinet we have 3 drawers. Top for knives and measuring spoons, middle for sauce pans, bottom for stock type pots. We use a corner cabinet for stuff not typically used and electrical devices. It is a pain to get the stuff out of the corner cabinets, but it is rare we access our clay pot cooker, bread pans, pie pans, cake pans, etc. The more frequently you use them, the closer to the door. We have two corner cabinest. One with a lazy susan for electrical stuff, the other for pans. The pan one holds a WHOLE LOT OF STUFF.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Drawers. Pullouts are suitable for retrofits only. :P

However, I think the pullout-over-a-pot-drawer-for-lids pictured above just might be a good thing. No, on second thought I usually don't realize I will need a lid when I pull out the pot so it would be an extra step for me.

Also consider how many tall things you have: if you have enough skillets and lids and things, a deep drawer setup to file those items on their sides might be worth considering.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

We also went with all drawers and I don't regret it one bit. No banging into the doors when you open and then pull out. It's simple, easy to see, easy to reach. No doubt about it.

FWIW, we did the 3 drawer stacks - not a tall pot drawer like you have in one of your pics and all of my stuff fits. If you have a really tall stock pot then maybe not but I have that in the pantry. So just be sure that the interior measurements of your cabinets fit what you are looking to put in there.

If you google kitchen drawers + gardenweb or any other more specific categories (dimensions, etc) you will get more reading than you can probably handle but it's really helpful. ;)

• LE
    9 years ago

The 30 year old kitchen I have now was ahead of its time with its pullouts. I still like them fine. People make a big deal of the extra second it takes to open the doors first, but that has never bothered me. You do have to be a little more careful to not open the pullouts with the doors partially opened. I guess what I do like about them is the low sides. I rarely pull them all the way open, just when I need something at the back. And it's a different look-- if you like the door fronts, you won't kick yourself for getting pull-outs. Just don't do regular lowers that require the kneepads and the rummaging,that is a whole different story!

That said, we are building a new house and I guess I "drank the KoolAid" because it does have all drawers. Lovely, slab-fronted, soft-closing, full extension drawers, and tons of them. And I love that, too. But it does look different. If you do a lot of reading on this forum, you may think it is the only way to go, but I honestly don't suffer a lot from the extra second it takes to open a door in front of a pullout. Plus they are theoretically adjustable, although I've never adjusted mine. (With the drawers, we measured everything and decided where everything goes in advance.)

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I like the pullouts in my pantry, because it's more at eye level. Down low, I can't get anything out without pulling it out.

I wouldn't like option 4. I don't have anything that tall. So I'd either have a dozen things stacked up in there, or half the drawer would be empty. I'd rather have 2 drawers.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

Drawers for sure!

These threads are old (there are probably more recent ones on the Kitchens forum) but still handy.

Drawers vs Pull Outs

Here is a link that might be useful: Planning for Kitchen Storage

• lepages
    9 years ago

in our recent build we went with a mixture of drawers and doors. I just wasn't sure about the drawers even though I read positive things. What I can tell you now is that I wish I did more drawers! It's so handy, you pull out the drawer and you can see everything right there.

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chicago, thank you so much for the article for kitchen zones. I will do that first thing when I get home.

And thank you everyone else for your input. Seems like drawers may be the way to go.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Aimless,

My vote is for something like the picture you showed . . . the one with a drawer topped by a smaller, interior just-for-lids shelf. Though that drawer is a bit deep, and I don't have designs on a separate cooktop.

Ideally, I'd like to have two drawers similar to the one in your picture . . . stacked, no cook top above . . . one for small-to-medium saucepans, the other for small-to-medium frying pans . . . each with the just-for-lids shelf above. And then I'd store my BIG soup pots and stock pots in the adjacent, over-sized pantry.

As for the all-drawers conversation, I'm not a purist. I intend to have a MIXTURE of drawers and traditional cabinets. Why? Because I've mapped out what I intend to store in each spot, and while MOST things work best with drawers, I definitely want one thin traditional cabinet in which I can stand my multiple sheet pans, cooling racks, and cutting boards . . . and I maybe want another for a pop-up for my Kitchen Aid.

• mirandajae
    9 years ago

We have drawers which is super nice. But I recently saw this a while ago and wished I would have maybe thought of it when we were building! It looks so handy and this way you don't have to stack anything which would be great! I think that company has a lid holder as well, rather than putting 2 sets of pots/pans one would be a set and the next pull out would be the lids (i think).

Of course this would only work if your cookware has holes in the handles for hanging!

• motherof3sons
    9 years ago

I have both and like the combination. Under the cooktop are three drawers and on each side is a door with pullouts. The blind corners are also pullouts. In the baking zone I stack many baking dishes and specialty pans in two pullouts behind double doors. This kitchen has multiple stacks of drawers.