Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Siding Going up Tomorrow. Need Help Quick!

amykath
9 years ago

I just went by our property and saw some terrible looking boards and battens and plank. It did not say Hardie on one piece of anything. I find that odd. The company we are using has to order the Hardie and was trying to talk us into something they have in stock that is less than par.

If anyone has any idea if this could be hardie and just not labeled as such?

I would appreciate it big time!!
Amy

Comments (11)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

No pictures?

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I would question your builder. We had two houses built in Florida and neither one did what they promised.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I spoke with my rep and he said it was in fact hardie. It is a goldish color. So, I think it is. I am just paranoid.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops I did take a pic. It is close up bc I wanted to check out the code. No luck there. We are the general contractors, although we have a builder and know our framer well. I trust he will know (hopefully) if it is or is not hardie. The photo is likely that back side.

Thanks for your super quick responses! I so appreciate it!

Amy

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

The back of our Hardie looks very similar to your photo.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Dekeoboe! I think I am ok. I just get these moments of freaking out. It is hard to trust ppl (for me) and I am always watching for mistakes. Which I think is a good thing. It probably makes our contractors hate me though. lol

• renovator8
    9 years ago

If you are the general contractor you are simply doing your job and the subs should respect that or at least expect it. You should have received written evidence that the material complied with the contract and the building code before it arrived on site.

By the way, the numbers on the back of the siding contain "NER 405" which is the building code required ICC-ES Legacy Report number for James Hardie siding.

Here is a link that might be useful: code required Legacy Report

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you renovator8! I appreciate the link and info. Yes, I should be particular and ask a lot of questions. Also, I should have been there. Good thing I checked yesterday before it went up to make sure it was the hardie and the smooth texture we asked for.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

aktillery, Im exactly the same way! Good luck! FWIW, our siding is supposed to go up today, too, but so far it's pouring. It's been sitting in the yard for a month :-(

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kiwi, that stinks! We are to have rain off and on this week. Today is nice but for the most part it will rain off and on the entire week. I have door coming and hate that they will sit in a unlocked/open house and might get stolen. Building can be stressful! I hope your weather improves soon!

• renovator8
    9 years ago

To provide quality control on a project, the Contractor - Subcontractor agreements need to include this kind of clause:

"Subcontractor shall submit, as promptly as is practicable any shop drawings, construction data, product information, material samples, and similar submittals, upon request of the Contractor."

That request list should be issued early in the job and include code controlled and proprietary materials and it is your responsibility as the GC issue it. If an experienced builder is advising you he isn't doing his job.

I find that knowing the subs well can be an advantage but it can also invite sloppy quality control procedures. One of the things I find odd about house construction projects compared to larger projects is that quality control and assurance procedures are rarely enforced if used at all. I see a lot of pain on the GW forums because of it.