Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fromgtoc

Please review house plans

fromgtoc
9 years ago

Looking for suggestions on little details I might be missing and any foreseen issues with layout. The placement of the oven, frig, sink will be changed in the kitchen. The dotted lines represent our current home blueprint.

This post was edited by fromgtoc on Wed, Dec 3, 14 at 20:08

Comments (15)

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Can you post larger photos? I cannot read any of the dimensions.

• fromgtoc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope these are better. Thank you.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Love the staircase, but is it a bit twisty-turny to get from the downstairs to the bedrooms, esp the master? Draw the path with your finger and see what you think.

What is the closet at the entrance to the master? Why not incorporate that into the laundry, and move the laundry door to open off the master suite hall? If the door if open, in the current layout you may be able to see it from the front door, not so desirable.

Or, separate that closet and the laundry, and have the master entry hall between them. The laundry can then open off that hall,you get nice symmetry with the doors on either side of the hallway, and when you walk into the master bedroom you don't have a wall corner right in front of you. That just doesn't seem like good "Feng shui".

Also, in the middle bedroom, I'd swap the closet and the door so that it's easier to get to the bathroom. especially if there is company downstairs, it would be a bit more private.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Like this. Oh, and in that hall bath, how about a hutch-type cabinet with drawers and cupboards instead of a closet?

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Why is the master bath vanity so small when there is plenty of wall space for a larger vanity? I would want a larger vanity so the sinks could be a bit further apart.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

In the lower left bedroom, I'd choose a bigger closet over a railing above the foyer.

I would also reconfigure the upstairs bath. I'm picturing 3 kids using that bathroom: one is doing her hair, and another has to elbow past her to get to the toilet or shower.

I can't see the dimensions of the bedrooms, but could you move the closet in the lower right BR down, into the room? Then you can use that space for the toilet, with a door into the hall, as well as a door to the bathroom itself. Move the tub up to there the toilet is shown now.

What do you see as the function of the Computer Room? I don't know how old your kids are, but until mine were in college, we preferred having the computer in the family room, out in the open. It made it easier for us to monitor both time spent and content. If it was me on the computer, I liked not being isolated from the rest of the family. It's a large room - how many computers do you envision? We're a family of 4 with two desktops and 3 laptops, so I get the need for multiple machines!

• fromgtoc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bpathome: I never even thought about the path to the master bedroom from the stairs. I like the idea of swapping the hallway with the closet. This way we are walking into the master and not that odd part of the master. I will probably be using that hall closet as a linen closet so it would be nice to have the laundry door in the hallway (easy to put away towels, sheets).

annkh: I am not crazy about the bathroom layout either. I wanted a separate wet room for the toilet and the shower but I am not sure if the size of the bathroom warrants that layout. I didn't want to move the closet into the bedroom on the right because I wanted to keep that 14 by 10.

As for the computer room, I want to use it as an office. I am a math teacher and have lots of books and lesson plans to store. We do not have any children yet but I am thinking in the future it could also be used to store all the their crafts etc.

Thank you for the comments. I already have a few things to change. Keep them coming!!

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

You say you've changed the location of the kitchen appliances, which is good. But I recommend you post your plan on the Kitchen Forum where the layout experts can help you with that. Read the FAQ which gives lots of guidelines before you post.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

You say you've changed the location of the kitchen appliances, which is good. But I recommend you post your plan on the Kitchen Forum where the layout experts can help you with that. Read the FAQ which gives lots of guidelines before you post.

• User
    9 years ago

Expensive remodel. Moving or a teardown might end up cheaper.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

With only a few thoughts, I like the downstairs:

- I don't like the computer room's doorway. You'll have to walk around the dining room table to enter the room, which will be tedious.

- You have three little closets near the entryway. I'd reduce it to two: You need one for the entryway, and it's wise to have one in the den (provides flexibility in case you need to use it as a bedroom) . . . but they're both such SMALL closets. I'd give up the one in the living room to enlarge the other two.

- I wonder about the entry door to the den. It might complicate furniture placement in the living room. It'd also be more private if the door could enter through the entryway.

Upstairs:

- I don't like the way the stairs approach the upstairs -- that's oddly worded, but imagine yourself walking up the stairs. To reach most of the rooms, you'll have to do a complete "double back", which will be uncomfortable. And imagine getting furniture around that turn.

I see why you did the stairs this way -- they'll be lovely, and they're functional for the first floor -- but they'll be a constant aggravation in the upper level.

- I think you could extend the closet in the farthest left bedroom a bit (enlarge it farther towards the door), and a slightly bigger closet is always a slightly better closet.

- The master bath could improve a good bit. The shower seems too narrow for its length. And it just seems lackluster.

- Where's your back yard access? Do you like to cook out? You'll want a short route to carry food in /out.

- I'd extend the garage a bit (or take in the back door entry a bit) to make that end of the house square. Why? It's cheaper to beat.

• bpath
    9 years ago

If you flipped the stairs so the bottom is nearer the LR, you get two benefits: it makes more sense downstairs because the stair access is where it is needed most, and when you get to the top you don't have an odd corner to work around. Of course, you lose the double-height entryway. How important is that to you? (I don't have one, my friend does and she doesn't like it, she finds it hard to heat and decorate and says it makes it noisier upstairs.)

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Oh, I like the idea of flipping the stairs! That would allow you a better door into the office AND it would fix your upstairs landing problem.

• fromgtoc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. If I flipped the stairs I would lose the den closet and would not have enough room to make an entrance to left most bedroom. Any suggestions?

• bpath
    9 years ago

Actually, I was thinking flip them vertically: the foot of the stairs is near the living/dining room (more convenient) and at the top, they are at the front of the house. That's why I said you lose the two-story foyer, because the landing is above the foyer.