Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justin2009

Home plans that aren't 'open'?

justin2009
12 years ago

Hi,

My wife and I plan on building a custom home in the next couple of years. I have bought home plan books and looked at many of the online home plan sites. They all seem to be "open" floor plans. We'd prefer plans where the kitchen and dining and living are not all one big room. We have antiques and they just don't seem to fit into the open floor plans - at least in my mind. Are there any sources of "closed" floor plans, if that is what they're even called?

Comments (17)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

You need a more traditional plan! There are a few out there, but not as many as you would think. Try bungalow plans and some Victorian plans, especially in the older plan books. The library might have some of the older books.

• justin2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm getting a bit frustrated as you flip through a book with 1'000 plans and they all look extremely similar when looking at the layout, no matter the square footage. we're looking to build around 3,000 square feet. I've played around with some designs of my own. If an architect put put a book of more traditional plans, I bet they'd sell a lot of blueprints.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

You know, I think you may be right. While open plans will always be popular, there seems to be a growing interest in separate spaces, too. Separate (not necessarily formal) living and dining rooms, with maybe a country kitchen?

The other nice thing is that you can have different colors and fabrics, as you move through each room. They can relate to one another, but not be exactly the same :)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Another way to find older plans, is to include a feature you don't see as often, today. On eplans.com, I put in the sunroom/atrium/greenhouse choice, under advanced search. Usually, those plans are older and have a little more division, between rooms.

I think my favorite feature, with these older plans...is the clutter room! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to eplans

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Justin- Here's a plan from the Country Living Dream Homes, 1996. It always reminded me a bit of the house from 'Baby Boom' which is probably why I kept it.
    {{gwi:1519167}}From Kitchen plans

Here's the floor plan, on the top of the page. Do you like an upstairs master suite? This is a little over 3000 square feet, but you wouldn't have to include the bedroom, over the garage. I like the french doors, between the study and dining room, too...and of course, the sun porch :) {{gwi:1519168}}From Kitchen plans

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Just in case you're interested, here's the link to the house, from 'Baby Boom'. Scroll down to the bottom half, to see the interior shots. I liked that there were more homes, with separate rooms, back in the 1980s movies. 'Mr. Mom' is the same way...and I think that's on this website, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Baby Boom' house

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Architects design buildings for clients for the simple reason that no one could make a living selling plans to plan book publishers and internet plan services or by drawing houses for $1/s.f. as is often suggested as a reasonable design fee on this forum.

• westiegirl
    12 years ago

We are finishing up our build of a house I designed to look like an old farmhouse. I also had a difficult time finding a plan I was happy with online. We ended up going completely custom without using any of these plans because I couldn't make the bedroom and kitchen situations work for our unique needs, however, I was very impressed with the layouts and exteriors of the homes with "The Bungalow Company". I have numerous antiques and could see them blending seamlessly with their designs.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bungalow Company

• justin2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the find, lavender. That's definitely on the end of the spectrum we're after. I definitely like the French doors separating rooms, or at least trimmed out French door sized openings. Thanks for the find. I need to do a little digging. I expect we will design a plan, as my wife and I have a collection of magazine clippings with features we'd like, but it helps to see a ton of floor plans to get a feel for possibilities. The pretty pictures in magazines very rarely come with the floor plans!

Will check out the bungalow company as well. The craftsman-bungalow-farmhouse styles and some Victorian styles are on our list of interests.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

There are many designers who offer traditional house designs on the internet. One of them is Stephen Fuller.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stephen Fuller Designs

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Justin- Larry W. Garnett has some nice plans, in this magazine, too. Here are a few, one of which I didn't see on the website...and the first one may not be your style, but I love the exterior...and here's a link to his website. Have fun looking :)
    {{gwi:1519169}}From Kitchen plans
    {{gwi:1519170}}From Kitchen plans

Here is a link that might be useful: Larry W. Garnett designs

• chisue
    12 years ago

I wanted a more traditional look too. We used an architect to get 'traditional' with a somewhat open feel. We didn't want a warren of small rooms, just a few good-sized, well-trimmed ones. Our 2900 sq ft is six separate spaces plus foyer, back hall and screened porch.

All our doorways are at least 36" wide, and only closets and 'personal space' areas have doors; others are arches. We used 4" door and window casings, 6" baseboards, and double ceiling mouldings. Only our kitchen/breakfast area is 'open', without a dividing wall. My door hardware is (gasp!) *polished brass* (Baldwin Edinburgh). It all 'reads' traditional.

• katrinavhh
    12 years ago

You are describing just what my husband and I wanted when we built our house three years ago. I bought book after book of home plans and scoured the internet, but I realized I would need to design it myself. It's interesting, though, because what I wanted was a traditional, "rooms are rooms" floor plan without many fancy features. I was looking for something really plan - so I was surprised I couldn't find it.

We ended up designing a really simple house - people always comment that it seems historic because of the simple design. In any case, we love the separate rooms - I like the way that actual rooms encourage a coziness in each and a way to differentiate mood and function by the space. Since I knew what I wanted, I decided to save the money on an architect and instead used a "residential designer" (CAD operator, really) to draw the plans up for me. It was a really fun process and the end result is exactly what I wanted. I was also able to design for architectural features that I knew I wanted to include, like three sets of antique, mahogany French doors I bought at a flea market. It sounds like you might like the freedom to do the same. (And, we love the French doors inside...they separate the dining room, living room, and study from the main foyer/entry hall, and we use them all of the time. Plus they are gorgeous!)

I wish I could tell you where to find architecturally pleasing, traditional home plans, but I didn't find it myself. I did take a look at many Souther Living plans and the Fuller plans in particular, but still didn't find it. The closest I came was the set of plans sold by Historical Concepts, but the houses are smaller than we needed. They are really awesome houses, though, I have seen several built and they are full of detail and traditional design which it seems you might find pleasing, too. Best wishes to you!

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

you might want to consult an architect. i got tired of looking at plans that didn't really work for us and any modification of existing plans would require a designer or an architect anyway. though i've seen some open concept homes that were appealing they are not for me.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

It's easier to re-introduce walls into a plan than to remove them. If you look at an open floorplan of a house where you are basically okay with the size, elevations, bedrooms, views, other considerations, then envision adding walls to divide the functions.
    Casey

• HazelJosephine
    12 years ago

The construction of house is done for once in life that's why the care must be taken in order to plan for a house.