Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trinintybay

Master Closet Pics and Ideas Please

trinintybay
13 years ago

I have asked for help on the Organizing forum but I'm sure I can also find good ideas on this forum. I have sent a request to Easy Closets for a design. This closet will house built-in drawers (no dressers in the bedroom), only linen closet on the first floor, floor length mirror, bench with lid, built in ironing board, shoes and extra cubbies. I have estimated 3 feet for tall hanging space, 7 feet for medium hanging space and 10 feet for shirts, blouses etc. Here's a sketch with dimensions.

Thanks for any ideas and especially for pics.

Comments (20)

• sue36
    13 years ago

Which way does the door swing? Are there any windows? And heating vents or other restrictions? Where is the outlet for the iron (our iron has a 20 amp outlet, I think).

• trinintybay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sue35 - Pocket door so we don't have to allow for swing. No windows or other restrictions. I don't know the amps but the outlet that is specific for the iron is on the 7' 5 1/2' wall (I think it's about midway, but I'll measure it tomorrow.)

• pps7
    13 years ago

That's a nice big closet! How are you wanting to divide up the his and her stuff? We have a his side and her side and I'm really happy we did that.

I have my own shoe cubbies and drawers on my side and he has his own on his side. I measuired everything out. I would need more that 3' of long hanging.

For you it might be easier for you to have the 11' wall and have the 9' wall as the "his" side. The bump out seems like and ideal location for bench/cubbies. Linen can go on the 3'10" wall.

• trinintybay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pps7 - I think separating his and hers sides is a good idea. I measured my stuff also and 3 feet of long hanging is enough for me. By long hanging I mean full length dresses, robes, etc. The medium is for slacks hanging full length (not folded over the hanger) and regular length dresses. I was thinking of positioning the chest on the middle of the 11'11" wall with 8 drawers on his side and eight drawers on my side with a top to set stuff on (kind of an island. But that would break up the 11' wall considerably. I like the idea of the linens on the 3' 10" wall. I'm trying to work in a full length mirror and thought the bump out would be a good place for that too. I'm just confused about how to get the most workable efficient design. Thanks for answering.

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

Phoebe Howard (a decorator) has a pocket door in her bathroom in a small Atlanta apartment. She needed a mirror also so did a mirrored pocket door. You could also do a pocket french door with a mirror instead of glass. This would leave more wall/ hanging space.

Hopefully this link works

Here is a link that might be useful: Pocket mirrored door

• trinintybay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

athensmomof3 - Oh, I like the idea of a mirrored door. Wonderful to save that wall space. Thanks.

• pps7
    13 years ago

I did forget to mention. I have a mirrored door and its great! We have 8 drawers each also. We did 2 stacks of 4 drawers each with short hanging above. Don't forget a place for a luandry basket and a place to store dry cleaning.

• trinintybay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pps7 - Ah! I thought of laundry but not dry cleaning. Thanks.!

• dakota01
    13 years ago

I elimated the area for dresses/long items in my master closet. I only have a few dresses and I have ample space in my entry closet for them.

• trinintybay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jeannie01- Good idea to elimate the spaces we can. Thanks for your comment.

• Marcia B
    13 years ago

Is there is any way to put a washer dryer in the master closet? Best thing I ever did.. (we do have a 2nd laundry upstairs where the other bedrooms are)
    When building I also designed a clo(set with Easy Closets, but ended up having it built & finished by a local carpenter, with a finish to match my bath vanities for about 25% less than Easy Closets.. and that included installation..

Our closet is 16ft 6 by 7ft 10

{{gwi:1432843}}

{{gwi:1519123}}

{{gwi:1420701}}

{{gwi:1432844}}

{{gwi:1432847}}

{{gwi:1432846}}

{{gwi:1435125}}

• chisue
    13 years ago

Don't forget a place to sit down and take off your shoes. An ottoman w/hinged lid can double as laundry hamper, but I'd prefer an open, 'chuck it in' arrangement. LOL

• juniork
    13 years ago

beautiful, marciab!
    Chisue, that's funny that you mention the shoes. When we moved into the current spec home, the master closet had a built in cubby for 50 pairs of shoes. Since we take them off at the front door, I never used it, and took out 2 of the vertical partitions, and did a makeshift tshirt/pants shelving area.
    Now, we're building, and we have both a hall closet and a mudroom designed just to store everyone's shoes by the entry. We're forced to comply with the Greenpoint checklist for new builds, and you actually get one point for having a place to put shoes in the entryway (better indoor air quality, I guess).

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

well thank you very much marciab10 for pushing me even further over budget! ;) I have to stop reading this site.

As the first walls started going up in my new build house today, I emailed the builder frantically to move the laundry area out of the place where it was supposed to be that I hated, and I will now have a laundry closet in the master where a useless extra linen closet was going to go, and an upstairs laundry room in what was a ridiculous walk in closet. The plus side- moving the laundry out of it's original space just gave me room for a beautiful dog crate station!

• Marcia B
    13 years ago

beaglesdoitbetter~ Glad I could help! (:

I saw it in a model years ago, master laundry and walkin pantry were my #1 must haves when building. Best thing ever.. so convienient.. 95% of all our clothes storage is also in there.. only have an armoire for the TV in the BR, where we keep a few items.

Guests and kids that come and go have an upstairs laundry room.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

I couldn't agree more marciab10. We already have the walk-in pantry, I just didn't really think about laundry. Fortunately, my builder didn't freak out (he's probably used to me by now) and we're going to have the downstairs master closet laundry + upstairs laundry like you described. Although, our closets will not be as elegant as yours for a while b/c we're waiting on the custom closets until the budget recovers a bit!

Thanks so much for the advice! And the puppies thank you too since they will now have their own beautiful space in the spot where the original less-then-optimally located laundry room used to be:

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Beagles- Cute puppy picture!

The master closet/laundry is a great idea. It won't work for me (live on a farm...have horses and tons of mud/snow...don't want that mess anywhere near my closet!) LOL

• pps7
    13 years ago

We don't have out washer/dryer in our closet but we have a pass through and it's one of the best things we did- I love it! I'm hopefully getting a bench for the master closet in the next week and am very much looking forward to it. Will post pics once it's here.

Master closet side:

Goes through to laundry room:

Laundry room:

• Marcia B
    13 years ago

pps7- thats a great set up as well! especially if you might have others doing laundry.

• dejongdreamhouse
    12 years ago

JuniorK,
    I know this thread is really old, but I have to tell you happy I am to hear of someone else who takes their shoes off at the door. I've always been a shoes off in the house kind of person, but when I had a baby running around, I got vigilant with guests. So disgusting to think about what people track in. We'll have all our shoes in the mudroom. Can't wait!

Here is a link that might be useful: de Jong Dream House