Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

house framed window not centerd in the master bdrm

abekker
9 years ago

Should I beg my builder to move the window or should I leave it as is?

Comments (19)

• rrah
    9 years ago

Have you started your build and what does the exterior look like on that wall?

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The house is framed and the windows are in, electric and plumbing almost done. This is the back of the house, so symmetry outside is not an issue.

• jdez
    9 years ago

I think you should leave it as it is so the corner can be used for furniture. That's what I would do.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. I think at this point it would be quite a pain to move it. Maybe I can use the corner for something otherwise the room will look empty

• renovator8
    9 years ago

How often would 2 people sit together in a bedroom? It would be better to put one chair in the corner and allow space for curtains.

• jdez
    9 years ago

Also, if you move the window so that it is centered on the inside, what does it do to the exterior? Would something look out of whack? Just a thought.

• Aims
    9 years ago

Me, being a book nerd would leave the window as is and do a chair or chaise lounge with a built in book case.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was thinking one chair or chase. Thank you!

• User
    9 years ago

This should have been thought at at the design phase.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Hollysprings, but that's not very helpful at this point. I see that this is your pretty common response. Unfortunately, a lot of us here are first time home builders and not everything was "thought through" or turned out as planned.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

The whole reason that you hire a design professional is to avoid issues like that. A home is designed from the inside out and the outside in at the same time. Perhaps you would not have had these issues with a more skilled architect? How did you find yours?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

My sisters house has low sill-height, centered windows in almost every room. It makes furniture arrangement a pain because most typical sized furniture then wants to overlap part of the window.

From a furniture arrangement standpoint I find that windows that are not centered are a bit easier to arrange furniture around, particularly if they have a low sill.

• Jenna Brown
    9 years ago

I would leave it as is. I think you will be able to utilize that space with furniture or a book case as others have said.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all! I agree about a design professional, but again that couldn't have been forseen. Our architect came recommended, but turned out that he didn't have any time for us and was not interested in "design". Made lots of mistakes which are turning up now as the house is being built. Wr actually turned down a few other architect that were less expensive thinking that we were making the right decision.

• Jackie Kennedy
    9 years ago

abekker,

I'm not going to comment on what should've been done in the beginning. That's a no longer significant. Stuff happens. I've never heard of anyone who remembered and planned for every conceivable situation without error or oversight. To me, this is fixable if you choose to do so.

Understanding that your plumbing, electrical are almost done, cost would be a consideration IMO. Last week my walls were drywalled when I noticed my window was way higher than I wanted it to be. My builder moved it down within a day's time...no charge. It's a personal choice as to whether or not you'll be able to deal with your window being offset. I myself considered the exterior view of the home, but the majority of your time will be spent living inside your home. Ask yourself....will you ever change the position of your bed in your room? If so, when facing that very wall.....will it be bothersome to see that offset each day? Good luck! :-)

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jaysgirl99 thanks for posting. I will see what my builder thinks. I don't think it will bother me too much especially if I use the corner for furniture or a big plant. The bed facing the window is not an option, because the bathroom is in the back. There are more design dilemmas ahead, so having the window a ft off center won't be a battle worth fighting over with my builder especially since so many people indicated it to be acceptable. Thanks again!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

After a tenant caused fire the contractor restored the rentals to the original plans. Turns out decades later cabinets change sizes etc. they went to install a kitchen sink and realized the lay out of the cabinets had changed and the window was off, it only took about a day for his crew to fix both units to match. And we were at the cabinet install point. It is is really going to bug you ask.

But like the others have said. The window looks like it is in a better place for living in that room

• robin0919
    9 years ago

Did the framers just not follow the plans? There shouldn't be any plumbing in that wall and the elec is installed thru the studs below the window. Neither of those should be any problem. If there is no siding on the outside yet, a couple of knowledgeable framers could knock that out in no time if you want it where it was supposed to be.

This post was edited by robin0919 on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 19:39

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, framed according to plans.