Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mfatt16

Rental fencing for site

MFatt16
10 years ago

Anyone fence in thier site during the construction period? We are in a rural-ish area on a street that gets very little traffic. Although we have neighbors no one really sees anything going on and we have had someone dumping on the property. Large items that should've been noticed so its making me wonder if we need to fence in the project and what it costs. I would hate to have theft be an issue once supplies are getting left overnight. Anyone ever use a rental fence company? How much was it?

Comments (5)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I think most people set up cameras. If you search the forum, you'll find recommendations. It seems that "wildlife" cameras (motion detection) are common/less expensive for these builds than a residential camera system.

• worthy
    10 years ago

I fence all sites, but these are infill homes.

Fences are not really protection against theft but from casual trespassers and the damage they can do to themselves and for which the property owner will be sued for creating an "attractive nuisance."

For the frontage, I rent eight-foot high fences in 10 ft. sections, $10 a section per month and fence the rest in semi-permanent fencing.

If illegal dumping could be a problem, post signs warning of 24-hour electronic surveillance and even light the property brightly at night.

The rule on materials is avoid leaving anything on site that isn't nailed down. That means: staged deliveries of wood; no windows on site until they're nailed, screwed and sealed into the framing; shingles stored on the roof; no copper lower than 10 feet and even then it's at risk; furnaces, cabinets, ac not hooked up until the house is closed in and alarmed, preferably to a guard service/police.

Leave no tools or ladders on site. A locked trailer or storage unit only invites thieves to break in. If you can, arrange for neighbours to park on site at night, so they will have an interest in keeping an eye out on their vehicles, and your property.

I've known more than a few builders whose projects have been hit by arsonists. On the rebuild, until they're closed in and alarmed they're stuck with paying for an overnight guard service.

And all this is in "good" areas!

• MFatt16
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good suggestions. I figured the fence would deter theft just by its presence. We actually did go out and buy a game camera just after the dumping and will hook it up soon. We need to get a bigger SD card for it first. Thanks for all the suggestions. I need to give the GC some credit too, this isn't his first rodeo and I am sure he has some safeguards in his plan too but I want to do my part. I think the temp. fence may not give me the value I am looking for at those prices. Its a big site and we will be building for 8 months or so which could get pricey. I will touch base with the neighbors again and ask them to keep their eyes peeled. Thanks.

• User
    10 years ago

A camper trailer on site that has a few timers in it for lights and occasionally is occupied by you on weekends would be a more cost effective deterrent than fencing. And it can be sold at the end of the build, thus recouping most of what you paid for it.

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

Not to hijack the thread, but wondering what sort of success we may have with our plan? We are hoping to put our quanset building in before our house. We have acres just outside of town and will at least have wildlife cameras. Is a locked Morton building generally sufficient?