Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

Is the shower head going to be tall enough for me?

Aims
9 years ago

Again, I continue to catch things late in the game. The tile has already gone up in both bathroom{{gwi:807}} showers and it just occurred to me that I should have inquired if the shower head plumbing should have been higher as my husband and I are 6'0 and 6'1." This is me kicking myself again because I haven't built a house{{gwi:807}} before so most of these things don't come to me right off the bat. Why didn't I see this? I have been dealing with this issue my whole life with showers that I couldn't fit under. Argh.

Is this going to work{{gwi:807}}? This is me standing in the shower, but I do have my tennis shoes on so that boosts me up about an inch.

We are using Delta fixtures so I suppose I could look into trying to find a rain fixture of some sort that could help{{gwi:807}}?

This post was edited by aimless07 on Wed, Dec 24, 14 at 19:19

Comments (11)

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

Depending upon the pipe coming out of the wall, you may be able to make it higher easily, The usual pipe comes out and turns down on an angle. Then, the shower head screws on to that. They make gooseneck pipes that come out and go UP, and then turn back down. The big box stores sell them. As it is, it looks workable, if not ideal.

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wonder if his one would work? The arm coming out would be going up so the shower head itself won't be any lower. Only problem is this one costs $250. Ouch!

• renovator8
    9 years ago

A shower head on a standard arm does not have to be above your head but if you like to stand under the shower head and it touches your head, a gooseneck or adjustable shower arm will solve the problem but they will cost $40 to $100.

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

I think rain heads frequently don't have sufficient pressure to rinse shampoo quickly; their purpose is to simulate a gentle rainfall. I think a gooseneck arm with whichever head you picked originally would be a good solution.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

What's on the back side of that wall? This is a new build - YOUR new build - so make it work for you. It isn't even grouted yet, you'll only lose a couple of tiles. Get it fixed.

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is our new build and I'm not sure how it would be fixed. I am assuming it would mean getting rid of the tiles and having to have extra pipe put in to make it taller and water proofing that area and tiling again?

I figured getting a good plumbing fixture would be the easiest and less expensive way to remedy it.

This post was edited by aimless07 on Thu, Dec 25, 14 at 10:49

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

This is the arm we have in our new shower- About $12 if I recall.

{{gwi:2134440}}

• Aims
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mushcreek, can you give me the details on that? Looks like that could be a pretty good solution!!

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

It's just a generic one from Lowe's. I bought it because I liked the looks of it, but I hope it isn't too tall for my vertically challenged wife!

AFAIK, all showers have a 1/2" pipe thread fitting in the wall. The pipe just simply screws in (with pipe sealant).

• RobGT90
    9 years ago

No problem based on the photo. As has been said, you can get attachments that make it higher such as the ever present removable wand that would give you a few more inches. I lived with a shorter one in an old house for a couple of years. But I was younger then.....

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

$26 @HD. Works like a charm with the Speakman shower head in my unrenovated shower built for short people.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta adjustable shower arm