Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clerkshipwanted

success with winter foundation pour

housebuilder14
9 years ago

we stil are excavating -- hit some snags because of permitting and then ledge. we probably won't pour until mid-jan when it will officially be cold -- maybe 30 degrees during the day

i am freaking out that our foundation will be compromised. guy on job site today said floor never perfect when you pour in cold weather.

anyone on here that poured in cold weather --- should i need to be worried about cracks in foundation, etc.

thank you

Comments (7)

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Building new home and basement poured at begining of Nov. it was above freezing so it was OK. I have read that they can pour in below freezing because they add antifreeze to it. Might check on this with your contractor.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Concrete hardens and becomes strong by a chemical reaction between cement and water called hydration. That reaction is slowed by cold weather so it must be accelerated.

What is often mistaken for antifreeze are the chemical admixtures that accelerate the rate of hydration so the desired minimum strength can be reached before the warmth from the heat of hydration drops far enough to stop the chemical reaction or freeze the mix water.

There are additional ways to accomplish that task like heating the mix water, using Type III high-early-strength cement, air-entrainment and covering the work after the pour.

Formed stem walls retain heat much longer than slabs so slabs need special attention or they should be poured later after the house is enclosed or much later in warmer weather. This is one of the advantages of basements.

• worthy
    9 years ago

I've poured foundations at 0ÃÂ F. Not a problem as long as all necessary measures are taken, such as using heated aggregate, appropriate accelerators, insulated forms and blankets after the pour. If cold weather impeded concrete construction, the northern half of this continent would still be living in log cabins and tepees.

Stop listening to every pick-up labourer and gofer on-site.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 2:08

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Renovator8 and worthy,

Interesting information.

• housebuilder14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok --- so what should i look for/ask to make sure that they are doing what they are supposed to be doing for winter concrete pour?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Did you hire the right GC for the build? If so, don't sweat it. If you're not sure, or no is the answer, stop the build now and don't go forward.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

most of us.. like 50% of the US.. doesnt really consider 30 degrees cold ...

it was 17 here in MI today.. with a crisp 20 to 30 mph wind.. now that is cold...

maybe everyone else knows where you are .. but that info is kinda pertinent to valuable responses ...

and never forget.. air temps mights be irrelevant.. to soil temps.. where your foundation is going ...

ken

ps:un-named guy on job site.. really doenst mean super.. nor contractor ... sounds like it might be a guy.. who doesnt know what he is talking about ...

Sponsored
VMAX LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars62 Reviews
Henrico County's Established Custom Builder & Remodeler-Best of Houzz