Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Living room dimensions

Posted by Hughes123 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 17:14

Hi we are looking at designing a new build and the dimensions on our plans for our living room is currently 18ft by 30 ft. Does anybody have similar dimensions for their living room and if so, does it work well in terms of furniture etc? I'm worried that it won't look cosy and we would be better off reducing the size to make it work better. What are people's views on this?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Living room dimensions

I am currently building and mine is 18 x 20. I wish I had gone a little bigger after seeing the actual size, our drywall went up this week. It feels small to me.

o

New build and not finished, ours is 19x16 and the 19 feels fine for the width but I wish we had a few more feet in depth to allow for traffic patterns. It is an open plan though.

o

My current living room is 16x19 and feels just right. A large sofa, love seat and recliner fit nicely. People can sit on the fireplace ledge, if necessary. When we have a large group over, we can pull the recliner back and make more space.

Our new living room will be the same size . . . But with better windows.

o

It's essentially a "golden rectangle" (18 x 1.618 = 29), which is a pleasing proportion for a room. It will require several seating groups, and if the house is large and you plan for the room to carry a couple seating groups, that's good.

If you want to reduce the size of the room, I would probably reduce both dimensions to maintain this sort of rectangle, for example 15 x 24 or 25 feet.

o

Mrs. Pete - I have wondered aloud more than once if our room should have been 16x19 instead of 19x16..... :(

o

You have to keep in mind not only the overall proportions, but the traffic paths through the room, which will need their own width independent of the furniture arrangement. The space only works as "ideal" if there are no traffic paths, which is unrealistic in today's open plan. Also, a conversation seating grouping that is much larger than 10x10 becomes uncomfortable to hold those conversations. If the primary purpose of the room is to view TV, you may not be concerned about that. But if you expect the room to support both TV viewing and talking, you will be at cross purposes for the furniture arrangement in such a large room. You either need to reduce the overall size to support conversation, or pick another room for that function.

o

Autumn, our last living room was 18x17 and was a really nice size, and very close to your floor plan so yours will be perfect too! :)
New house is a bit smaller at 17x15 and I think will be cozy or so I tell myself, lol. I worry about the living room size too but know it will be fine. We will also have a larger bonus room and a family room downstairs so that helps.

o

Our living room is 18 x 14 and I'm getting nervous that the depth is not enough. We also have furniture that I think may be much too big for the space. Eeek!

18x30 seems huge to me, but it depends on the size if the house and of course your usage.

o

I also think ceiling heights play a huge part in what room sizes work and what you use the space for. OP what are your ceiling heights in this room if I may ask?

o

We have a open floor plan and the family we have 20 x 15 and I too wish the depth was a little more but this is how much we could go.

We do have another 14 x 15 small living room which is not open and can serve as second sitting area if needed.

To me the 18 x 30 seems huge but again not sure what your house size is and how you plan to use the room.

o

xc60-great! :)

OP: Does the 30 include or encroach upon a dining area or some other space?

o

Ours will be 23'4" by 17'4". However that includes a designated 4' walk way making the furniture area more like 19'4" by 17'4". The space backs up directly to the kitchen. Like others I wonder about the depth being enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here