Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

prolonged exposure to foundation in freezing weather?

illinigirl
10 years ago

Just to give a short summary background leading to my question in case you missed it, our foundation was poured around mid November. It was scheduled to cure until around mid December but my husband got sick and was in the hospital a couple weeks with a long expected recovery time. Instead of framing our house mid December as scheduled, we asked the builder to delay until my husband gets back on his feet and builder agreed no problem. They put hay and blankets over the foundation. We are in West Michigan to give you an idea of the weather (it's been way below normal with highs often in the teens, now it's been back up in mid/upper twenties as highs).

So today my husband had an other discussion with the builder and builder has some concern over the foundation sitting for too long in the cold and although still remains flexible, is urging us to consider continuing with the framing in early January (Jan 8) including the roofing/shingling. He says the we can then take another break or delay if we desire.

Our goal is to get back started when we at least have a date when my husband will go back to work. We don't have definitive idea right now but we think another month from now seems reasonable (for a total of 2 months off, he's already been off work one month).

My husband failed to ask the builder today what the specific concern was about the exposed foundation. Can anyone tell me about what the risks to the foundation are at this point and going into January?

Comments (7)

• hendricus
    10 years ago

Frost heave, you can feel it on the roads now, lots of thumps on section lines. Your foundation is supposed to be below the frost line, minimum of 42" below grade

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you hendricus. Yes, the lowest part of the foundation is set 42" below the frost line, and has been backfilled. the concrete floors and walls are still exposed now though.

Everything was completed in preparation for framing, and that is where we stopped. Framing was to begin I think Dec 14 or close to it. Now we are looking at a Jan 8 start date for framing per the builders urging.

• MFatt16
    10 years ago

As far as I understand the frost is only a concern within the first day or so and if its set then the exposure after that isn't really a problem. I have seen many a foundation sit after finishing due to a variety of problems. I am not an expert though. If you are starting in Jan. you will be just fine I bet.

• rollie
    10 years ago

Frost can get under the slab and footings and heave them up. Depending on how much insulation and hay was put down will determine how much frost has gotten under the slab. Was there foam installed under the slab before the pour? Soil condition also control how expansive the soil is when introduced to frost/freeze. There is no way to tell how much frost is in the foundation and if there is any damage until you clean up the blankets and hay. Then, you exposed the foundation is subject to frost/freeze heave while the framing is going on. I would get it capped off as quickly as possible, and some sort of temporary heat n the basement while the upper level is being framed.

• User
    10 years ago

If the builder is concerned about soil freezing under the concrete work he should be adding more insulation and/or heat to prevent that from happening; I don't know how waiting could help.

When the foundation is finally backfilled the 42" of soil will act as insulation and allow the heat from the earth (about the temperature of well water) to keep the soil under the footings from freezing. Straw and insulation blankets can be very effective if placed and protected well.

The slabs are another matter and might require external heat especially if no insulation was placed under them.

I suspect he is busy on another job. Why wouldn't he be?

• worthy
    10 years ago

The interior intersection of the wall and the soil must be protected by straw or hay or blankets to a height of two feet to be safe. I have built that way in teps of -20f with no problems. Be sure you protect any concrete pads the same way. If a floor has been poured, it must be similarly protected from frost damage.

Further note: hay will be valueless if it gets wet; that's why builders use straw. I have only used hay when it was free. Besides losing insulatlve value when wet, hay may spontaneously combust.

This post was edited by worthy on Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 17:52

• worthy
    10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by worthy on Thu, Dec 26, 13 at 17:43