Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do your faucets finishes vary room by room, or same thru house?

Posted by southernmum (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 16:43

Choosing faucets this week. Still trying to decide on what color/finish to go with. Here are my questions: 1 - Did you use same finish for all faucets throughout house, or did they vary room by room? 2 - Do your light fixtures match the faucet finish, or are they different finishes? and 3 - Just because I find it interesting what others are choosing, what finish did you go with?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do your faucets finishes vary room by room, or same thru hous

We varied...

Master is polished nickel, kids/guest were brushed nickel, mud/basement baths are ORB. The light fixtures matched the faucets, but I can't say I planned for that to happen.

o

The majority of ours are polished chrome- I love it-cheap and easy to clean.

Power room has ORB and kitchen stainless steel.

o

All ORB throughout.

o

Varied. I live in a Revolutionary War Colonial, so style and finishes are important to be consistent with the architectural style and history of the house. This really allows greater flexibility than one might initially think, since this type of house is made up of a number of individual rooms, each seperated from the other.

Finishes in individual rooms vary, so, finishes for electrical and plumbing fixtures also vary by room. The important thing in homes composed of descrete rooms is that each room be designed to be harmonius and compatible with all of the room's other finishes and materials.

For open floor plans, however, there needs to be a greater overall consistency in all finishes where the flowing spaces and light are interrelated and visible, from one space to another. In such cases, I would be consistent with all finishes in these spaces.

This is a very disciplined architectural approach, and not one that all interior designers/decoraters will always agree. Vive les la difference!

Flexibility, if desired in open plan houses, is possible in seperate and individual rooms, and on different floors, IMO.
Good luck on your project.

o

So glad you asked this, I have been wondering for our own home.

I think I will do a mix and match of rooms - however, if I use one color for the faucets I want to use the same for a light fixture, if that is possible.

I was just in a house tonight that was new construction but they had different doors (found at various salvage and historical sights) and fixtures all throughout the house. It was a little much for me but it also showed that sometimes character can trump the need to match. She even had different knobs on her cabinets. (All same color but various styles) and the reason was because she found some on sale and didn't have enough!

o

We varied....it's consistent in each room but not among rooms.

o

I plan on doing the same throughout the entire house

o

Interesting...Thanks for the responses. What to do, what to do..? I'm getting a little tired of making all the decisions. My husband doesn't want to be involved in picking any thing out -- and he says that I'll do a great job! (No pressure there!)

o

I think it looks less builder-matchy to choose fixtures that fit the design of the room, rather than making sure they are all the same. That said, I have antique nickel in the powder room and master, brushed nickel in kids baths, and my kitchen sink faucet is stainless. I definitely don't think the light fixtures need to match the plumbing, that would be very difficult to do anyway as different manufacturers call finishes different things and there is always a slight difference.

o

I agree with Nini.

Master - Polished chrome faucets/lights
Bath 2 - ORB faucets/lights
Bath 3 - Polished chrome faucet, ORB light
Bath 4 - Polished chrome, brushed/polished chrome light
Kitchen - Sainless steel, ORB lights
Laundry/Mudroom - Stainless faucet, black/white/yellow fixture

o

In a custom house I built for clients, they not only used the same finishes, they used the same fixtures and fittings in all the bathrooms. Kind of like doing an office building. Certainly easier to build.

In my own homes, I've moved from mathcy-matchy to even using (slightly) different finishes in the same w.c. At least, in new homes designed to look established.

o

We are doing polished nickel in many bathrooms and polished, unlacquered brass in others. I have no idea what on earth i'll do in the kitchen as I'm trying to push that off until the cabinetry comes in and then decide on a faucet finish based on what kind of cabinet hardware and lighting I'll choose. I've seen mixed finishes in the same room look really fantastic, but I've also seen it look accidental and cheap.

o

Varied a little bit from room to room but we stuck with either antique brass or ORB. Mostly I tried to get the lighting and towel bars and plumbing within a given room to all be the same finish... but I didn't stress too much about it. With ORB especially, pieces from different manufacturers will have very different color.

Master bath - antique brass light fixtures, towel bars, and plumbing EXCEPT that the lion's paw feet on our cast iron slipper tub are ORB because we couldn't find antique brass feet anywhere.

Bath 2 - antique brass lights, plumbing, towel bars but I decided to use painted porcelain knobs on the vanity instead of antique brass just to give the vanity a little more oomph.

Bath 3 - ORB thru out but everything came from a different manufacturer so the plumbing fixtures have a slightly reddish cast, the towel bars and toilet paper holders have more of a yellowish cast and more of a matt finish than the plumbing, and the light fixtures are a very dark ORB that sometimes look almost black. Still, it all looks really good together.

Kitchen - ORB light fixtures, plumbing and cabinet pulls. Again tho, if you look closely you can see that all the ORB pieces have a slightly different cast to them. Even the pendant lights and center ceiling light are slightly different because they came from different companies. But again, it all looks fine together.

The point is to get things that look good together, not to be "matchy matchy."

o

With ORB especially, pieces from different manufacturers will have very different color.

renovator8 explained why last month:

Since copper is expensive and it takes a long time for bronze to darken naturally, modern manufacturers take some short cuts in the factory:

- The cheapest simulated aged bronze finish is paint.

- Next is the chemically accelerated oxidation of brass plating.

- Next is the chemically accelerated oxidation of solid brass.

- Next is the chemically accelerated oxidation of copper plating on solid brass

- Next is the chemically accelerated oxidation of high copper content cast bronze (statuary bronze).

When you ask for ORB you probably don't know what it really is or how it will wear. That is enough to keep me from using it.

o

So ORB is not really ORB but either:

P
CAOBP
CAOSB
CAOCPSB
CAOHCCCB

Why is it called ORB then?

o

I think I've picked out all my cabinets now, but the faucet finish is causing me STRESS! I'm not crazy about the shiny chrome, but I keep reading it's "timeless". I want timeless, but it's SO shiny! I want the magic "house-bldg.-fairy " to come help me with all these decisions! :)

o

Mine will be varied....but the same within that room. I think the antique bronze will look better than the silver colors with my pearl painted cabinets..but will use the brushed nickel in the bathrooms because there will be mocha stained vanities in those rooms...and crome in the utility room with white cabinet. Light fixtures in dining and living rooms will be antique bronze, since it is open concept with the kitchen.

o

We're two years away from beginning to build, but I'm beginning to scan ebay and Craiglist for name-brand, quality items (like faucets and light fixtures), and I'm tucking them away. I'm thinking this'll pay off in the end; for example, I just won a very nice sink faucet on ebay for $5.99 plus $10 shipping. It's a current model and retails for an outrageous almost $200. The problem, of course, is finding matching tub hardware . . . but I have two years, and I'm careful never to bid on something that 1) I wouldn't buy at full price and 2) that isn't still currently available in stores. I'm also keeping good records in a notebook so I know what I have.

Having said that, I'm aiming for everything to match exactly within each room . . . but I don't care about whether the faucets in the kitchen match the ones in the master bath.

Southernmum -- The magic house-building fairy will gladly come do all of this for you, but when you're done, you'll have a basic builder's house, not something that reflects your personal tastes!

o

MrsPete - I appreciate that comment about the house-building fairy! You're right -- this is MY baby! Thanks for that reminder! :)

o

All different. Having them the same is boring. Plus there's a good chance that at least one of them will be in fashion at any given moment.

(I do like the look of bright nickel plated antique fixtures though!)

o

Mine are different between the rooms but match within (old house, not new build). The house metal is copper but the two guest bathrooms don't have any. One has brass fixtures and lighting and the other has brushed nickel. The kitchen and master bathroom both have copper. The copper is matched in the kitchen but the master bath has some antique copper, some polished copper and some...darker!

o

Southernmum: It would benefit you to have an interior designer that you can consult with on a regular basis. She can help you make those kinds of decisions that are overwhelming to you but easy-peasy for her. It's so easy to get overwhelmed by one more detail. I have one whom I've consulted with on a pre-plan design basis; now I can call her when I have these panic questions.

I've talked to my sister who insists that the door hinges and handles match the faucets. We had that conversation when we were getting my dad's house ready to go on the market.

I vote to have them match floor by floor at least. I do wonder if it would look too tacky to have ORB on the main floor and chrome upstairs. Does that look cheap?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here