Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audiosq

Floor Plan take 543

AudioSQ
10 years ago

Maybe I haven't made 543 of these, but certainly a lot. Anyways, I felt like I received a lot of good feedback on the last one I posted that I learned a lot from so here's another. Ignore window placement.. I haven't gotten that far into the design yet. My wife doesn't want anything in the island, and I want the sink to face the family room. I could probably use some help in there though. Thanks for your input! Sorry for the blurry photo. I seem to lack the skills to produce a good one.

It is based off of The Peyton at Don Gardner

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (11)

• rrah
    10 years ago

The first thing I would change is the location of door and closet in the front, right bedroom. Reverse the locations of the door and closet. This will give more privacy to the bedroom and make it closer to the bathroom.

In the master bath, extend the shower all the way to the wall. That little open space will be awkward to clean and serves no purpose I see.

I assume those stairs lead to a bonus room over the garage. Make sure there is sufficient headroom in the garage so that a vehicle can still access the garage in that area.

Where will the mechanicals go? In the closet near the bedrooms, the laundry, the garage? This needs to be reflected in a plan.

This post was edited by rrah on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 7:44

• AudioSQ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great idea about moving the door and closet. I could even put the door on the side across from the other bedroom.

The bathroom layout isn't really finished. I wouldn't leave a space there, and may change it all together. I just used the default images to get a general idea of a possible layout.

The mechanics will go in the garage? That seems to be the norm here. I didn't even think about it because they weren't shown in the plan I modified.

I'm having trouble getting the stairs to behave properly in the program I'm using, but I think they'll be a couple steps less than what is shown so hopefully everything will fit ok. Thanks for the input.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Kitchen needs some work still. It is dangerous to have walk through opening that close to the stove. You need at least 1 ft of separation. More is better.

What is the plan for that corner in the closet?

Do you want to see the toilet while laying in the bathtub?

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

I love the dining area. :)

About the two side by side walk-in closets for the secondary bedrooms - I realize that walk-in closets are popular, but you'd get twelve feet of wall storage if you just did back to back wall closets. You definitely aren't going to get that amount of storage in those closets. You might get eight feet, and it's going to feel cramped.

You might also consider taking a couple of feet from that nice hall closet to make a coat closet for the foyer.

Also, the little hall to your master is going to be very cramped. I'd completely eliminate the door and wall "in the bedroom," and just make that a little entry area open to the bedroom.

Good luck.

• AudioSQ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I've been working on the kitchen, maybe I'll post it in the kitchen forum.

You don't like to look at the person on the toilet while soaking in the tub? :P I'll work on rearranging that one too.

I've eliminated the bend in the stairs. They just go all the way up to a landing which will lead into the bonus room. The space underneath will be usable closet. Might be where I put linens.

That is a good point about the closets, but then I'll have a lot of doors along that wall. I've always disliked a wall of doors in the bedroom for some reason. Something to think about and consider though.

I had intended the right side of that hall closet for coats and the left side for linens. Although it's Houston, I'm not entirely sure if I've ever taken someones coat for them and hung it up. Our coats will be kept in the laundry/mud room.

Thanks for the input! It is good to get out of my own head and is much appreciated.

• AudioSQ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright, I reworked the bathroom and moved the stove over in the kitchen. I took out the corner cabinet and used a regular one to make the extra room. I'm still not convinced its the best configuration for the kitchen. I'm struggling to find other ways to make it work though. I also took out the wall between the foyer and the living room.

• sena01
    10 years ago

Not an expert here. Just some ideas for the kitchen and BR/bath.

For the kitchen, you can get much better suggestions if you post in the kitchens forum.

One with a prep sink on the perimeter since your wife doesn't want anything on the island.

This has a single sink, though I think it would function better with a prep sink on the island.

As to BR area, I changed the place of baths/closets, so both baths can have windows. I used some wizard for the drawing, so measurements vary a little from yours, but I think they're close enough.

If you feel you must have 2 sinks in one of the baths, I think the bath on the left would be better for that, although you can consider a closet and a single sink.

edited to add reason for bath relocation.

This post was edited by sena01 on Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 9:20

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

In my experience---I think your hallway from foyer to the bedroom hall will feel tight. Is it even 3 feet wide? I think for that long of a hallway, you need to look at 39" minimum width, but 42 would be better. A tight hallway, even leading to a larger/more open space (as your bedroom wing of hallway is) makes it feel not so cozy.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Your master closet is enormous, but seems to me that if you put clothes rods all around, you're left with a lot of wasted space in the middle. I would also enter the closet from the bedroom, rather than the bath.

I would steal some of that master closet space for a linen closet in the bathroom, access with the door you have.

I would access the space under the stairs from the garage. You'd have to move the firewall to the other side of the stairs, but that shouldn't bee too huge an issue. My thought is that the master closet has enough going on already, and the under-stair space could be reached from the garage side without you losing half a wall of the closet. You seem to have decent storage in the house (I assume there will be storage room in the laundry area?), so the stairs may be better used for seasonal things.

• AudioSQ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I'll consider the kitchen and bathroom options.

The mentioned hallway is actually 40", I think there's a little play in the closet depth and room on the other side that I could add another couple of inches.

I personally dislike entering the closet from the bedroom. It's a deal breaker for me. I realize its a personal preference and inside the bathroom suits our different wake up times better. That's interesting you find the closet large. I would venture to say that most people in my area would disagree. It does seem a bit wide to leave too much empty space in the middle, but not wide enough to put a wall down the middle for more rods. That is a good idea about making the storage under the stairs to the garage though.

Thanks for the feedback.