Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
englishable_gw

Modifying a Sears Kit Home floor plan?

Englishable
10 years ago

While my own home build is probably a few years off yet, I recently came across the floor plan of the Sears Preston from 1923 and absolutely love it. And while I much prefer traditional floor plans (I hate modern or open plans), it doesn't seem like the kitchen of the Preston would work very well today.

So just for fun, if you modified this floor plan, what would you do? I love the two staircases, but would maybe try to squeeze a half bath under the back stair (instead of the ice box) and would probably remove the breakfast nook and storage pantry. Any other ideas?

Comments (12)

• bpath
    10 years ago

I see what looks like a flue by the storage pantry; is that where the stove was supposed to go? And, what is the difference between a pantry and a storage panry?

• bpath
    10 years ago

What are your rules for this game, Englishable? Can we change the footprint or elevation?

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

Assuming the back elevation doesn't matter much and that you don't need stairs to go downstairs, I would include the hall, stoop and down stairs to the kitchen footprint. Bring the kitchen into the dining area a bit more, maybe with some barstools. And put cabinets along the back wall of the kitchen. Put a door to the back yard in the living room and a half bath somewhere with those stairs/hallway.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Maybe something like this? I like the front, but would love to see a bay window in the kitchen eating area and a cute sun porch off the back. Just an idea :)
    {{gwi:1518489}}From Kitchen plans

This post was edited by lavender_lass on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 23:43

• jdez
    10 years ago

Nice LL.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Found this website of Sears houses; this house was quite rare! As you can see in description, it had 9' ceilings, but only one bathroom. The example shown here was remodeled at some point to add Lavender's ideas: a bay window and a screened porch (instead of a sunroom). I knew Lavender has a vintage spirit!

Pretty house! I love the way the stairs share a midway landing. And of course who doesn't love a sleeping porch?

Here is a link that might be useful: See a full Preston here with interior pics

• Englishable
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone! lavender_lass, I love how you put the half bath in - that's one thing I thought this plan was definitely lacking!

bpathome, no real rules for the game - change what you want! I'm curious to see everyone's ideas. I'm also unsure why there were two pantries. Thanks for sharing that link too, I love Rose's site - it's where I found this plan!

I think the breakfast alcove is cute but the opening to it just takes up too much real estate in the kitchen, I think.

Now, question two: to make this build a bit more economical, I think the upstairs bath should be moved over the kitchen in some way, keeping all plumbing close together, without losing the sleeping porch of course! And while three bedrooms are great, two would be ok too.

So the broader question: if you could make any changes you wanted to this plan to update it with any modern conveniences , while keeping its vintage charm, what would you do?

Have fun and thanks!

• Englishable
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops, meant to say that while FOUR bedrooms would be great, three would be fine too :)

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Thanks, JDez :)

Bpathome- I always think a sunroom gives a house that 1920s feel...very vintage, with a place for plants and maybe a small table and chairs.

Englishable- The kitchen can be designed any way that suits your style and family! That's the fun of coming up with a modified plan that is just right for you...as for the upstairs, what if you move the sleeping porch above the sunroom?

Did you want a separate master suite or just one bathroom for the upstairs? One idea would be to put the master suite over the living room (tying in the plumbing with the powder room) and having access to the sleeping porch. The other side could be bedroom, bathroom, bedroom, with back bedroom having a bay window, if you like.

Cute plan! I'm trying to add some 1920s features to our farmhouse remodel, as well as the garden. We're using mostly older shrub roses and perennials, with a fairly classic layout...but keeping everything overgrown and casual. It gives the chaos that is my cottage garden style a little more structure! LOL

• bpath
    10 years ago

I'll play! I took the second floor.

The major changes I made were to move the staircase to the back of the house. (Yeah, I'd been playing with the 1st floor, too.) As you come to the midway landing, you can turn to continue to the bedrooms, or go up a little stair to the sleeping porch (which can be whatever you want, a library, an office, a playroom.) That makes the upstairs hall a little wider (I get claustrophobic in narrow halls). I added a bathroom and a big closet for the master.

I wonder if the 3rd floor is livable space?

• Englishable
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks - this is fun!

I would like to envision that the third floor was at least a bonus room utilizing attic trusses. I've scoured Pinterest for images of attics with built in beds and love the idea of a bunkhouse-esque spare room.

I've been playing around with this too but nothing 100% satisfactory yet. I attempted to move the upstairs bath back by the sleeping porch and wound up with a very strange H-shaped hallway, which seems like wasted space to me. I don't think a master suite is really necessary, though having a slightly larger bedroom than the kids' rooms would be nice. A cozy, yet comfortable, 3 bed, 1.5 bath house would be perfect - a large kitchen is a must! So when I was playing around I extended the kitchen up, adding some square footage, to accommodate an island with stools.

Maybe in the next day or two I'll post a pic of my tweakings :) But first I need to get my holiday baking done!

LL- your place sounds lovely! I would definitely landscape in large shrubs, peonies, periwinkle, hostas; like you said, a little overgrown and casual but charming.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Thanks! Oh, I have a great built-in bed picture :)
    {{gwi:1518490}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures