Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrypy_gw

Anyone built the Southern Living Tucker Bayou?

terrypy
15 years ago

While there's a great blog on-line of a family building this home..I'd love to hear what people did and didn't do. We are going to change the plans, dropping most of the upstairs, but the ground floor is perfect! Since we are building it ourselves as the proj. managers (DY is a proj mgr building custom homes) we can change up the plans most anyway we'd like without the use of an architect.

Comments (23)

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

Will you build it in its original modular prefabricated form?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tucker Bayou

• terrypy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No we plan to build it in the regular fashion - however have to admit I'm interested in SIPs construction for the lower floor. I love the floor plan..we are empty nestors so plan to keep the front bedroom (the one they have the bunks in), swap the bath so the private sink is on the bedroom side and put in 2 built in bunks on the other side of the bath. Its a wonderful plan and except for the cost of windows can be done up or down. The multi room/laundry room is awesome. We are also thinking of putting a 1/2 spiral staircase in the mstr or study with a sitting room upstairs...study could be just for the books..with sitting up above.

• goodgracious
    9 years ago

Has anyone actually built a version of the Tucker Bayou? Starting mine real soon and would love any input.

• soonermba
    9 years ago

We are building this plan right now! Currently on second floor framing.

• goodgracious
    9 years ago

Soonermba -- Did you happen to amend the plans or using the exact one?
    Any words of wisdom? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

• soonermba
    9 years ago

Pretty much stuck to the plan but... we have made some changes below....

First Floor
    -converted the cabinet wall "pantry" in the workroom into an enclosed floor to ceiling pantry with 2 doors. Doesn't look quite as cool, but offers more pantry space.

- expanded the master bathroom mostly by getting rid of the jutted lines of the master bath area that we weren't into. ended up actually making a pretty large second closet then in that space

- house is built on slab and ended up deciding to go with a stamped concrete pattern that looks like wood on the porches. we like how it came out for the cost (vs. more expensive alternatives)

-added a laundry chute that comes from upstairs hallway down to laundry room

Second Floor
    - a lot of "bumping out" of the walls. Basically expanded the rooflines out on all four corners by a bit adding a couple of feet to each of the 4 rooms upstairs (which are now really big).

-Took up a lot of the extra attic space with several additional closets or storage areas

Windows went in last week, making progress!

• Shelly Tucker
    9 years ago

If anyone has built a 1 story version of this I'd love to see it! Please & thank you!

• Kim Shockley
    8 years ago

I am also interested in this plan. Keep your ideas coming.

• donnaaanderson
    8 years ago

We are thinking about building a one story Tucker Bayou also.. Can anyone tell me how you fit in the 2 bdrms & bath downstairs ?

• jeannineconover
    6 years ago

soonermba we are thinking of building this home. I like what you suggested that you changed. Do you have photos of the upstairs? Did you do it through a modular company? What area are you located in? We would probably use the room labeled Media room as a bedroom and the 3rd narrow bedroom as a studio.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    6 years ago

You realize this thread is over 9 years old?

• Angela Etheridge
    5 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but really hope some that posted early on can report back with update. I live not far from the original and have loved it for 10 years now. I am about to pay to have revisions done to make this a 3BR/1Story version since we are nearing the empty nest phase and only need two small BR for kids visiting. If anyone has done anything like this and can offer any suggestions before October, I'd appreciate it.

• jeannineconover
    5 years ago

We have adapted the plans and are building it modularly but made the roofline more of a modern farm house rather that an cape style roof. We also expanded the down stairs to allow for an office etc , we are working with Apex Homes. We did the same thing trying to find info. A builder in Lewes Delaware has built the home. The photos are on this site.

• HU-56253900357
    5 years ago

jeannineconover do you have photos?

• kklvana
    5 years ago

Angela, have you gotten plans made up for the 1-story version? Are you building it modular?

I am also interesting in doing a 3-bedroom version of the Tucker Bayou, either as 1-story or with 1 bedroom upstairs. Jeannine, I also would love to see photos. Thanks!

• Angela Etheridge
    5 years ago

Hey there. We are just finishing our plans. Goal is to be in by end of summer. Ended up being 2,350 sf single story with a large bonus room we aren't accessing in the build, but will plan around and do in a year or so. The oversize Master Closet will be reduced to 4ft so stairs can be added. We opted for 2BR with the office to include a murphy bed for guests.

• kklvana
    5 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I like your plan! Will you build it modular or conventional?

• Angela Etheridge
    5 years ago

Stick built. Here are our elevations to see how it changed it on the outside. Our view is to the front of the house, so it will not have any back yard; hence the boring back side.

• kklvana
    5 years ago

It's going to be beautiful. Best of luck!

• Mich Cade
    3 years ago

Would love to see finished pics?

• HU-963434700
    2 years ago

Love this house and, therefore, happy to see this thread continuing. In January we were tweaking the layout to give to an architect hoping to complete the project prior to winter 2021. Well, so many negative comments about building right now (lack or supplies and, therefore, high cost and delays) that we put it off. But hopefully 2022. So any useful comments regarding design/layout that you all really, really like or wish you had changed would be very helpful. Thanks!

• Lynda Westbrook
    last year

I would love to know if Angela Etheridge finished building the Tucker Bayou plan and would she be interested in selling her plan?