Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnatalie

It's December, how is your build coming along?

Ron Natalie
15 years ago

Since nobody posted yet, I'll start.

They're painting and trimming the interior.

The stuccoers are stuccoing the outside.

The custom cabinets are in (gorgeous)

It's beginning to look like something!

Comments (72)

• lclevel
    15 years ago

Congratulations ccoombs1 !!!!!!!
    What an accomplishment! I can only imagine the gratification you must feel to have built your own house DIY!
    I can hardly wait for mine to be finished which I'm doing DIY also, but have a few more years to go.

• ashevilleian
    15 years ago

landp-it's not a shotgun, it's just narrow. it's 22' wide because it's on a narrow (50') city lot. with setbacks and driveway requirements, that's all i could fit on there. my last house was only 18' wide!

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Thanks lclevel. It is a lot of hard, frusting work but so well worth it in the end. This is the 3rd time we have done it but this is our forever home so it's been much more fun with the finishing details than all the others. I splurged on some upgrades this time around like custom cabinets, granite countertops and quartersawn white oak flooring. Is this your first DIY house?

• lclevel
    15 years ago

Ccoombs1,

This will be my forever home also. And yes, this is my first DIY house building project.

However, IÂm not a rookie when it comes to house construction. IÂve helped a couple of friendÂs build their houses and I also own several rental properties that IÂve gutted and remodeled over the years. IÂve built sheds, boat docks, and numerous other projects. IÂve been in the engineering and construction industry for about 30 years, and IÂve visited this site daily for years. IÂve learned so much from the people here who love to share their knowledge and experience.
    IÂm always visiting construction sites, asking questions, and doing my homework. I have no fear of taking on this project and I have all the confidence that this house will be built correctly. IÂve already received very high praises on the work that IÂve done thus for from other builders. My dad and neighbor are carpenterÂs so if I run into any problems theyÂll be here to help. IÂve been in the planning stages for about 4 years now. I will hire out some work but I'm going to try to keep it to a minimum. The slab is poured and I'm now working on the storm shelter as state above.

Below is a rendering of my dream house.

{{gwi:1518123}}

• sylace
    15 years ago

bto24: I hear ya on the snow!! Same with us, they started the trusses yesterday and the goal is to have shingles before X-mas, which contractor says will happen no problem! I hope so.
    Another thing my contractor said is that rain is worse than snow on the wood. Snow can be removed but the rain just keeps coming down and damaging the wood.
    Anyway, I still wish for no more snow until the roof is done!!
    So, do we get to see pics of your build?

This is the latest as of this afternoon.

• justmeinsd
    15 years ago

We are now in the home stretch. They are busy tiling (80% the house)and putting in counter tops. The outside just has a little bit of work left in the front.

• mtnlaw
    15 years ago

We have windows, plumbing, electrical going in and timberframe posts & beams up. Trying to get a weather window after several weeks of cold & nasty weather here in the NC mountains. Can't imagine the challenges of trying to build now in a real cold climate like some of the folks posting above. Here are a few recent pics.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

mtnlaw, I'll take that view, please!! Some of you are so fortunate to have those beautiful views of the mountains.

Mighty, love your home. That fireplace and hearth are something else. Gorgeous.

persnick, I never get tired of looking at your beautifully bright green walls. I'm so sorry I didn't find a room to put that color. I just love it!!

To you newcomers, welcome. I've been waiting 6 years for my house, so reaize yours will be finished a lot sooner than that. Every time you think you'll never finish, just think about me.

DH saved the most difficult for last, the master bath. Hopefully I'll have photo's of a finished MB for January, but can't promise anything. As most of you know we are building our home on a part time schedule, as time permits. After the MB is finished all we have left is some casings, and the great room floor. Then we go outside to finish garage, put up fence, etc., etc. We will be in this Spring for sure.

All I have this month is the kitchen 99% finished. If the cabinet company and glass guy don't get back to me soon, I'm going to have a fit, right in their offices!! HA!

{{gwi:1397847}}

{{gwi:1417446}}

• capecodfan
    15 years ago

Brutuses, what type/colors/size of tile is that in your backsplash?

I really like the pattern. Is the tile on your backsplash the type that comes grouped in a sort of sheet to ease installation? Or was the pattern layed methodically in the way it is?

Also, are your granite counters Santa Cecilia? Thank you so much!

MW

• landp
    15 years ago

Ashe-I hope "shotgun" isn't a derogatory term. I've always used it to mean a long, narrow bldg--and I really like them. It was meant as a compliment, I promise!

Yay, Brutuses!

LandP

• jbradshaw
    15 years ago

beautiful house mightyanvil

we are framed now. they are working on finishing details and sheathing. hoping roofing starts soon so we can get it buttoned up but the weather is not cooperating thus far. most windows will be here on the 11th and the rest mid january due to problems with the company we ordered from. front door here dec 22nd even though we were told 2 weeks now it's going to be 4. everything was going great till about 2 weeks ago when we ran into all these little problems. it is still going rather smoothly. here is a pic.

• bdpeck-charlotte
    15 years ago

We had our first theft on Wed night. We have a 40ft storage container on site to hold finish materials and our tools. The lock was cut/pried off and all of our tools were taken as well as some of our lighting. Frustrating situation, but the sheriff and my insurance agent were nice. We should only be out our deductible. I was lax about installing my security camera, but it's up now.

They even took boxes of nails!

• ashevilleian
    15 years ago

landp--no hard feelings at all. i suppose in that case, it is a shotgun! When we first bought the lot, we were thinking about building a one story craftsman and to get the square footage we wanted, it would have been 22'x 50'! that really would have been a shotgun, eh?

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

A "shotgun" house is typically a one-story front facing gabled house that is only wide enough for a room that opens directly into the room behind it and then into the next room (no hall). It usually has a small front porch. But the term is applied by some to narrow two-story houses with porches or even double-wide versions even though such houses have halls and stairs.

The only similarity ashevilleian's house has to a shotgun house, in my opinion, is the fact that it was turned to fit on a narrow lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: shotgun houses

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

Everyone's houses are looking so good!! I must say that now it feels good to see homes in the framing stage, it really does feel like we're making progress, lol...

We're in the slow stage right now. Drywall has been extra slow - still finishing it and it's been three weeks. Then it's paint, trim, floors, you know the deal. We're hoping for a Valentine's move in.

jbradshaw -- your house looks vvveerrrryyyyy familiar :o)

MA - ohmigoodness!!! Everything you have ever said on this board has just been given a resounding amen. That house is breathtaking - your family is so blessed!

persnick - floors look super!

brutuses - love that kitchen combo - and yes, details please!

I have no idea how some of you can build DIY + work + school + family = inspiring!!

ccoombs - I think I will be as excited for you to move into your house as anyone! I know we don't know eachother, but I'm just so proud of you!! (most of you may not know that her DH is disabled so she's done pretty much all the work HERself!!)

I always want to wait to post until I have a better pic, as they're to grade my land next week, but alas, these will have to do:

ditches everywhere:

some interior pics:

living room (arched opening on left goes into kitchen):

master:

I don't think I posted this on last months, but I was really having a hard time one day and drove out to the house to find this little gift from God:

• brutuses
    15 years ago

bepeck, so sorry about the theft. What a bummer. We have been fortunate to build on a well patrolled street in the city with neighbor's close by. I guess there are some benefits to being in a small city that is well populated.

Thanks for the compliments on the kitchen. The backsplash are 12 x 12 mosaics sold at Lowe's for cheap. The inserts were bought online also for cheap. The inserts are resin made to look like metal. I think they are pretty realistic. We wanted fleur di lis, but the price for nice ones was out of the budget so we settled for these. We try not to be extravagant on things we don't actually touch or use everyday. Can you see a pattern here? LOL We're at the end and broke as church mice!!

The granite is a close sister to SC, it's Galo Ornamental, also inexpensive.

Here in N.O. I grew up living in shotguns. Ashe, your house is looking good. You're really moving along.

• megradek
    15 years ago

Shotgun...LOL...here I was thinking you guys were talking about how FAST the build was coming.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

jnjmom

Thanks, but the house belongs to my brother and sister-in-law. I can't afford that kind of house; I just design them and no doubt make less profit than the plumber did.

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

Mighty - haha!! I saw where you said it was your brother's, that's why I said that your 'family" was blessed. Your architectural expertise was just certified by those pics! Good job!! :o)

• crazyhouse6
    15 years ago

Wow! Your homes are all looking great!

We are just finishing up on the exterior (to be painted in the spring). They are currently installing the trim, baseboards and cabinetry (just waiting on the kitchen, crowns and final finishes). I'm in over my head trying to finalize selections on tile, granite, lighting, plumbing, balasters and a few others.

Lower level bar area (covered stained concrete floor) -

GR - Ceiling yet to be painted

Laundry room (I wish I could get a better picture. I'm really looking forward to this space. Although my cabinet maker couldn't see why I needed 9 spaces for baskets, I know I will use them.

(Sorry about the large pictures. For some reason, some of these just wouldn't resize.)

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Builders-make more than doctors/lawyers.

Plumbers/electricians drink their beer at country clubs.

Value of Mighty Anvils past and present projects...priceless

Success isn't measured by wages earned!

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Considering that we'd HOPED to be in by Christmas, not good.

HOWEVER!! We passed the final open wall inspection this week, so insulation starts Tuesday!! We went through today with the GC and confirmed all door swings, discussed trim, etc. Fireplaces are in. DH and I worked on the tile designs of master bath walk-in shower, and WOO HOO!! Electricity is LIVE!! So I can put lamps in the can lights for when I work on paint colors! The decorative fixtures won't be up, but this will help. Cabinets are all ready and waiting for us to be ready for them!

Progress is being made again!

• bto24
    15 years ago

Sylace,
    I hear you. Our house is being built by our High School's building trades class so progress is very slow. We are looking at possibly hiring a contractor that can try to catch them up before Christmas. I'd really like to have the house closed in by then.
    Hopefully this link will work. It looks like yours is coming along nicely. What state are you building in?

Here is a link that might be useful: December House

• sylace
    15 years ago

LOL That's convenient, having a high school class build your house!! Are you a teacher? What kind of credits do you get for doing that? LOL

We're up in Ontario, Canada, in the suburbs of Ottawa.
    The shingles will be going up on Wednesday, and then doors and windows, I'm very excited about that!

• insijs
    15 years ago

We finally have the walkout basement block in and the first floor trusses and floor on. It's starting to feel like a house.

Just click on the thumbnail for a larger look.

{{gwi:1518141}}

{{gwi:1518142}}

{{gwi:1518143}}

{{gwi:1518144}}

• dixiedoodle
    15 years ago

After 28 months, we finally have our CO. There is still a bunch of finishing up work and a massive amount of cleaning to do, but we should (fingers crossed) be able to sleep in the house for the first time by Christmas!

Once I come out on the other side of an even more important life changing event, I will consider posting some pictures. I always said that I wouldn't do it but despite all of the headaches and disasters during the build, I am pretty proud of the finished product. :)

• OllieJane
    15 years ago

dixiedoodle, I was wondering if we were the only ones moving in at Christmas. We will be in on the 27th, thought we'd let our little boy enjoy the Christmas Tree and Christmas before moving. We were suppose to be in 2 months ago. Can't wait for my life to settle down and be normal again!

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

jnjmom, thanks so much for the kind words! It means a lot to me. It is just so wonderful to finally see the light at the end of this long tunnel. I spent the better part of the weekend painting hundreds of linear feet of baseboards and window trim. I got some of the doors trimmed in and hope to finish trim up this week (all except for my pantry door which has not arrived yet). As soon as I get the baseboards in, I will start moving stuff in. YAY!!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

dixie, I am so happy for you. What a wonderful Christmas present.

• cursivesailor
    15 years ago

Theres been more going on since this pick. The roof of the 2nd floor porch has been framed in and the back back balcony also. And my tray ceiling in the living room.

I've picked out roof color, brick color, siding color, windows (delivered today), and looked at tile, carpet and plumbing but keep coming up over budget on those. More looking or biting the bullet on money we really dont have.

The framers put my front stairs on the wrong side, but I decided to leave it. To make up for the mistake, I am getting two walls that didnt exist of the original plan.

My whole "living space" is the second floor. We are in New Olreans and I don't wanna get wet again. Still traumatized. The bottom will be an enclosed garage and storage and we are leaving part open towards the backyard as a covered patio.

• tnkcfan
    15 years ago

It's been a while since I've posted. Great progress (& beautiful homes) everyone! My house is not near as grand as most everyone's on this site, but I love it none the less! So far in December: front porch completed except for paint, tile layed, paint almost complete except for the front porch & door. Cabinets installed this week, but not 100% complete. DH has been putting in electrical outlets & light fixtures in the evenings. Hoping to have electricity & running water next week. Carpet,hardwood & appliances by the end of the month! Targeted move in date: early Jan.

• coffeehaus
    15 years ago

Wow! Nice to see so many people posting and everyone seems to be progressing nicely.
    A couple of months ago, someone suggested that we include our "ground-breaking" date in these updates: Oct. 29, 2007. So, while progress has been slow, we're very pleased with the process and the results so far.
    Our focus has mostly shifted to the interior. All of the walls have one coat of color and flooring is underway. We're using red oak in 3,4, and 5 inch widths, cut and milled in our area.
    {{gwi:1518151}}From Flooring

And we've got some tile, but no grout yet. Here's the master bath:
    {{gwi:1518152}}From Flooring

We'll be using this 18 inch tile throughout the dining, kitchen, mudroom areas, as well. I was thinking that I should use 12 inch tiles in smaller rooms, posed a question here, and received unanimous votes for the larger tiles. I'm so happy with the choice, thanks to you posters out there!
    And we have had a little progress outside...the Bluestone (does that go with BluWood?) has been laid on the front porch (the yellow stuff is rain screen...not the house siding!), so now the guys can complete the siding there.
    {{gwi:1518153}}From Stonework

The painter put one coat on the exterior Nichiha shakes and siding in November while it was still warm. My concept was a darker taupe/tan on the upper shakes and a lighter shade on the lower siding, but after the first coats, the contrast just wasn't sufficient, so much to my chagrin, we're going with a different (darker) color on the shakes. Funny how those little swatches of color look soooooo different on a big patch of house! So here's a pic of the original colors. I hope to have a different version, soon, but it all depends on the weather here.
    {{gwi:1518154}}From Exterior

• tdog_1973
    15 years ago

Week 11: roof shingles nearly complete, windows are in, and garage doors are up-still have to add the rustic hinges etc. Siding scheduled for next week...wrong color came in so we are set back about a week. Inside the plumbing, electrical, and havac are happening. Freezing weather, rain, and snow haven't slowed up the builders much. They are doing an awesome job

A picture w/ the bigger trim around the doors.

Trimming out the windows!

They have started the deck! It seems like there is always something new to snap a picture of each day that we go out and check on things.

fireplace wall in living room. this is becoming a monster I dream about.

• sylace
    15 years ago

We had a major snowstorm on Tuesday night so Wednesday was a wasted day cleaning and shoveling etc.

Here's the latest pic from Friday, they are installing the shingles this weekend (they were supposed to be up already, but thanks to the snowstorm!!) just in case there is another snowstorm on it's way...

There are windows in the garage, they just haven't cut the Typar.
    Next week, doors and windows yay!!!

• swissx4
    15 years ago

We started our build the last week of August. Here is our progress so far.
    Side of home

Putting cedar around the deck

Tigerwood decking

Master bedroom

Living room/Breakfast area

Retaining wall (I hope it holds) LOL;)

• megradek
    15 years ago

I couldn't help but add more. There's been so much happening in just a week. Cabinets come tomorrow!!!!! Tilers are finishing up the master and JJ bath today/tomorrow and the hardwood is just about done on the first floor.

pardon the dust - wow is it dirty! but I can tell the floors will be beautiful eventually!

mudroom tile

masterbath

guestbath shower

my youngest, running (always) out of the guestbath with her very "fancy" outfit...notice the gold sparkle shoes :)

• cheriepres
    15 years ago

It's nice to hear everyone can build in the winter. We have just started. The basement has been dug and now we have had rain for 10 days. Hopefully we can get dried up and a basement poured.
    I love seeing all the beautiful homes on this forum and reading all the great advice.

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Hi all! I just got our internet up & running again (long story) and was thrilled to see everyone's progress this month!

As for us....WE'RE IN!!!!! Have been for about 2 weeks. The house still isn't quite finished, but the owners of our old house had to get in by the 6th so we had to be out by the 5th. Nothing like a great big work boot in the behind to get things moving along. LOL

Sallen...our cabinets were custom made by a local cabinet maker. It was actually much less expesive than going with prefabs. They are painted SW Alabaster, which we also used for the trim throughout the house. :o)

• johnstaci
    15 years ago

jnjmom- What color brick did you use. I am trying to pick out a brick color and like how it looks on your house - also do you know what the color name of your shingles was (and manufacturer)? We're looking for similar black shingles.

john

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

john -- Our brick is Pine Hall's Brownsferry. The mortar makes a big difference with this brick - we used Santa Fe (a deep brown).

Our shingles are called Black Shadow by Pinnacle. They aren't as architectural as DH was hoping for, but I think they look fine.

• mom22kids
    15 years ago

I mostly lurk on here! Everyone's homes are so amazing. I am anxious because we are hoping for final inspection this week to get our occupancy. Hoping we will be moving next weekend or the week after. Great timing with the holidays :) We are finishing exterior porch/back deck, some electrical and flooring. I'm becoming increasingly numb to excitement throughout this entire process. Just hoping for the best at this point.

{{gwi:1518171}}

{{gwi:1518172}}

{{gwi:1518173}}

{{gwi:1518174}}

• sallen2008
    15 years ago

mom22kids, I love your cabinets. What brand are they? I plan to mix stained with painted. Any suggestions before I place my order?

• mom22kids
    15 years ago

Sallen2008
    We ended up at Lowes after the kitchen design place was way over our budget for cabinets. We got the same exact cabinets there for about $7000 cheaper.
    They are Kraftmaid, soft close drawers. Maple Biscotti w/ cocoa glaze and Cherry Kaffe. I was worried b/c the Kaffe is dark but they compliment each other fine. I can look up the styles if you are interested, I forget the names now :) I love mixing the woods together....We have the Kaffe on our island too.

{{gwi:1518175}}

• igsmith
    15 years ago

Coming along...they have the first floor framed, and the second floor joists and plywood down. they just started putting up the walls when the snow came in which has totally stressed me out...hopefully it will melt and they can get the house enclosed soon!

• arewethereyet
    15 years ago

Slowly! After snow started accumulating last week, all of my subs had to go work on emergency calls, including my husband (who doubles as my GC, heating sub, and my boss!). We don't cope very well with snow up here in Washington. I was going to paint over my winter break from school, but now we haven't even gotten our framing, plumbing, or electrical inspections! Urggghh! On the other hand, the house looks very pretty in the snow. If only I could figure out how to post pics....

• jillie731
    15 years ago

Ok...so we broke ground Oct. 27th. We are framed and roofed, windows & doors in, waiting on siding (back ordered agghh!!) working on HVAC, plumbing, electric....

Here's my question...what do you think it a realistic move in date? My builder won't commit b/c I guess he doesn't want to be held to a date. But based on your experiences, how much more time do you think it will take? What do you consider half way? I am so anxious....

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

This time of year the weather seems to cause more delays than normal which not only affects builders/subs, but also suppliers/deliveries.

Depending on the house and how detailed it is, the halfway point is typically after drywall is up.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I am proud, thrilled and ecstatic to say I am DONE! Or as done as we are going to get for now, anyway. We have been working on this house for over 5 years and we have nearly moved in. No CO yet...we will get that next month. I still have lots of little things to do like touch-up the nail marks on the trim and building a chase around the range hood vent pipe, but other wise I am done with the main part of the house. The sunroom needs flooring and trim still and the master bedroom and bath is not even started yet (except for framing), but it is so nice that all the hard work has finally paid off and I have a beautiful home now.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

ccombs, I hear ya. I'm so happy for you. After waiting 6 years myself, I can't wait to move in next year. The interior will be completed in the next month and I'll be able to get in there and start cleaning, etc. I can't believe it's finally going to happen. Now that the end is near, time is flying by and so is the money. LOL

Don't forget to send some photo's.

• cheriepres
    15 years ago

mightyanvil, could you please give me the dimensions of your kitchen? I really love the design.