Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drip44_gw

New Home Build

drip44
10 years ago

Hello,
I am a first time poster, but long time reader of the form and I am looking for some input/advice on my new home design.
I am building a new home in southern Ontario and I am trying to be as energy efficient as economically possible. I have decided to build an ICF basement with a 2x6 well insulated main floor. The main floor will then have an exterior foam layer bridge layer to prevent thermal bridging, whether I spray foam this or lay an inch or two of ridged foam has not been decided yet.
I will have high cathedral ceilings throughout the home with an 8/12 internal slope and 12/12 exterior slope, which is the more reason to be efficient.
I plan on heating with gas using an infloor radiant heating system, both in the concrete basement then on the main floor. I would like to eliminate the use of a supplemental heating unit, but it seems that I may have to from what I have been told, although I will need to run an AC unit either way. I have been investigating mini ductless units and that may seem like an option as of now.
I am now trying to tweak the design of the home to implement a passive solar design to help with efficiency and was hoping some could provide some input.
Any input on tweaks for the design of the layout would be greatly appreciated also.

Comments (10)

• drip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Front

• drip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roof

• drip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rear

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

For passive solar, think more glass and overhangs on the southern side.

Have you looked at geothermal heating and cooling? It's 300% efficient...at least in our area....

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

I'm confused-- is the layout you posted part of two different floors? On the elevation, it looks like bedrooms 1 & 2 are above the garage, but your floorplan shows them on the same level as the front entry.

Which direction is South?

• drip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the confusion, the loft has been drawn on the main floor layout, but is actually on a separate level.
    The front entrance would be facing South, I missed that attachment.

• drip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, I was looking into adding a large window under the gable of the front entrance to help with gains from the southern sun, is this what you would recommend?

What is desired for overhangs? The front gable has a large overhang as well as the two bedrooms over the garage. The other front windows will be moved up to under the soffit to have money on construction as well as take advantage of the small overhang off the roof.

I looked into geothermal, but the initial cost is too much with not a large savings over a gas system. The mechanics are also very expensive to replace when they go, which it seems like they will.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

There are on line overhang calculators for passive solar so you can see what kind of shading would be provided during the year.

It also looks like you have a lot of windows on the north side, which should be minimized.

Did you add in the cost of a/c? Geothermal provides both. We chose to use an air system so the duct work does both heating and cooling. Further, we use it to circulate hot air from our woodstove around to the rest of the house. We looked at radiant heat and decided against it due to flooring issues...it is most efficient under tile but we didn't want a house full of hard surfaces.

If there is any way to berm the lot so you get some daylight into the basement from the south side while protecting the north side, it would be worthwhile. We were fortunate to have a southern facing slope to build in so our lower level is open.

• drip44
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie,
    Yes I did add both the cost of AC and heating and it is still a significant cost. Do you have radiant flooring for both cold and hot climates?
    I was looking into revising the front of the home to get some light into the basement, but I would be forcing a window into places where it just does not make sense with the concept, we are unlucky with the orientation of the house.

Thanks for the thoughts on eliminating the North side windows, I am thinking I may just leave the doors for the patio and eliminate the great window above the patio doors.

Any other tidbits?

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Passive solar really needs to have been thought about in the beginning stages of the design. What does your architect say?