Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
britwooten_gw

Final floorplan! Feedback would be appreciated!

britwooten
9 years ago

After working with our builder and architect, here is our final floorplan. Any feedback, good or bad, would be greatly appreciated! Our footers are already done, so we cannot change exterior walls, but the interior can still be shifted here and there. Is there anything really obvious that is just not working or could work better? Also, I had to change a few minor things in power point, so you can see that a few walls and appliances have shifted.

A few notes:
In the kitchen, between the wall and fridge will be an 18" full depth/height pantry. I am thinking about making this at least 24" and shifting everything down (and therefore adding a bit of cabinet to the end of the row of cabinets). I also plan on putting a built in microwave in the upper cabinets to the left of the fridge.

The little space off of the dining room will be a butlers pantry. For now it will just house our china cabinet, but we will add build ins in a few years.

A man door will be added to the garage.

Thank you so much!

Comments (11)

• pps7
    9 years ago

Overall, a very nice plan. Good use of space and flows well. I can't read dimensions. Is the flex room the dining room? There is hardly any wall space so it would be difficult to use for anything else. I might close one of the walls.

The main area that could use some work is the master bath/ closet. I just don't think it flows well. There's plenty of space there to make it work better.

Is bedroom #4 a guest room? Would you consider changing the bath attached to bedroom#4 to a hall bath and doubling as your powder room? A closet/ pantry where the powder room would be nice.

Can you shift the bottom door from the hall to the laundry room to the left so it lines up with the upper door? Is there room for cabinets/counter across the washing machine?

• britwooten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much! I agree very much about the master bathroom layout but we cannot come up with anything better. I really actually like the vanity/water closet/shower/calwfoot tub layout. It is the series of doors when you first walk in that does not work for me. But I would like to keep one master closet opening into the laundry, so this eliminates some possibilities. This is another room I am entirely stuck on and can't seem to get anywhere!

Laundry Room:
    I cannot really shift doors in the laundry room because I would like to put a small folding tail and a mounted tilt-down drying rack on that wall across from the washer/dryer. Function just wins over form in this one! But good catch, I agree it would look much nicer!

Yes, bedroom 4 is a guest room. That is a great idea about the pantry. I will think it over! We really wanted the guest room to have an entirely separate bathroom because we entertain a lot, and often when we do, we have out of town guests that come and stay. I hate having to tidy up a guest bathroom for a dinner party when we have guest staying with us and using it. BUT that pantry would be life-changing so I need to think to over some more!

Thanks for your feedback! If you have any suggestion on that master bath, that wold be great!

• Michelle
    9 years ago

You could make your master shower a lot bigger with all that space. Also, I don't see a coat closet at the garage entrance?

• britwooten
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope we can put in a larger shower in the future! I tried to plan for that in the floor plan. We are not doing a tiled shower right now but we do plan to take out the fiberglass insert and extending the shower into that space in the future.

There are mudroom open cabinets to the right of the garage door and additional storage under the staircase.

Thanks!

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Nice plan.

Do you really need all those doors to the back porch? If you eliminated the one in the dining area, you could center your table and lighting in that space.

What is the space between the bathroom for bedroom 4 and the flex room?

• bpath
    9 years ago

For that 4th bedroom, if you evened out the front of the house, you could have a full bathroom and a powder room in that currently-outdoor space, and have a pantry where the powder is now. Or, if you have only one bathroom there, you could put the tub behind a pocket door, which would be closed when it's in use as a powder room.

I asked over on Kitchens if you had considered making the kitchen a galley? The walkway between island and counters seems to break up the workspace, when there is already a walkway behind that countertop.

In the master bath, watch out for the placement of the sinks. Looks like someone will be banging their elbows in the corner. And, um, let me know if this is inappropriate, but is the shower ever used by 2? There's a child's bedroom right behind it...(blush)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Similar to what bpa said - I would consider moving both closets in the 2 bedrooms to be reach in closets adjacent to the bathroom walls. Just for sound insulation alone.

In the master bath, I'd probably get rid of the linen closet, and just put a linen tower right inside one of the closets. Then you no longer will be bumping the linen closet door and bathroom door.

Where do the stairs go?

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

I would swab the locations of the range and the sink.

• pps7
    9 years ago

I would definitely get rid of the linen closet in the master. Just do a built in cabinet with open shelving on top and closed at the bottom.

Another thing to consider is swapping the shower and water closet. A window in the water closet does wonders. Even a small high window to let in some natural light.

Completely agree on reducing the doors to the back. Especially the one in the dining area. Put a double window instead. It will be a lot cheaper too. For the family room- you can have one pair of doors that's functional ( the one closer to the kitchen/dining ) and the other that are dummy doors. Probably better insulation and some cost savings.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

where do the stairs lead?

I would also try to get bedroom 2 slid down to face front (for another window), and put closets against bathrooms, but if you don't, then I'd move the closet door in bedroom 3 "down" so it isn't behind the bedroom door. Just rotate the shelving/rods and slide the door down.

Who will be living here? Is there a specific reason to have the guest room/4 have a separate bath from serving the back hall and then reducing your toilets in the house by 1? I see a redundancy in having a powder room and that full bath right across a 3' hall from each other.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I agree that the master bath could work much better, and you have the space for a better arrangement. I don't see any point in installing a small fiberglass shower now -- not if you intend to remove it later and upgrade it to a large, tiled shower. It'll be more expensive in the long run, not to mention wasteful of materials.

The master bath is plenty wide -- I'd look at stealing 1-1.5' from its width . . . and add it to the laundry room, which is kind of puny. This would allow you to have a narrow folding space across from the washer/dryer, which would be very practical.

I'd also consider flipping the closets /bathroom in the secondary bedrooms. This would give you natural light in the bathroom. And I agree with the previous poster who suggested reach-in closets as sound barriers in these bedrooms.

Or, you could bring the left-hand bedroom forward to the space that now occupies the closet, and you could place the bathroom through the wall from the master bath. Consolidating your plumbing is a money-saver.

I'm not loving the kitchen. It looks "disjointed" to me, and I think it can be solved with one change: Lose the door that's interrupting your prime work space. Yes, I see that the intention was that you'd have a door close to the garage entrance, but if you bump that cabinet run to the right, you're only looking at a few more steps down the hall to enter the kitchen.

I don't enjoy cleaning bathrooms, so I would absolutely rearrange the guest bathroom to open towards the hall so that it would be accessible to guests.

I agree with losing some of the doors across the back of the house, but the one I'd ditch first would be the one in the eating area. Once you place a table in that spot, you won't be able to use it anyway.