Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tncraft

How much to tip?

tncraft
11 years ago

How much did you tip or planning to tip the workers who have put a lot of time in building your house? If not money, what did you give?

We're at the finishing stages of our build. We are thinking of giving something to the builder, the site foreman, the carpenter and the cabinet maker.

Comments (13)

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

I'd like to gauge conventional wisdom on this topic also.

I think our tip will come in the form of food & not monetary.

We're @ 50% in our build & the 2 guys in charge; our builder (GC really) & his construction manager have done a fabulous job of keeping us calm & collected.

We really don't interact with the subs they've hired so preliminarily, it's only the 2 above that gets our focus.

• galore2112
    11 years ago

Nothing. Because I already pay them through their employer. I don't think that this is an industry where the employees depend on tips, like waiters.

• Beth Parsons
    11 years ago

Tip? Really? I bring doughnuts/milk to the build site quite often and got gift certificates to Subway for the handful of subs that did a really outstanding job. My GC has been pretty great but I have absolutely no intention of tipping anything other than a plate of cookies.

• Beth Parsons
    11 years ago

Tip? Really? I bring doughnuts/milk to the build site quite often and got gift certificates to Subway for the handful of subs that did a really outstanding job. My GC has been pretty great but I have absolutely no intention of tipping anything other than a plate of cookies.

• tncraft
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe tip is not the right word. We want to give them some kind of bonus/gift for going above and beyond.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I made my GC a plate of my Christmas cookies/candies that I make for neighbors and friends one year...

• phoggie
    11 years ago

I plan to take the crew pizza on Fridays....and donuts from time to time...but no tips..they are being paid very well.

• davemartin88
    11 years ago

We had a small crew of 5 that did 95% of the build for our log house. At the end of the build, I gave the crew a Dewalt AM/FM Boombox unit that also was used to charge their batteries. The boom box they used through most of the build was nearing it's last legs and the guys seemed very appreciative of the gesture. I think it cost about $150?

• andi_k
    11 years ago

I brought lunch/drinks every other week for whoever was working that day. But, I am planning on getting something for my builder and for the supervisor for Christmas (we just moved in a couple months ago)

• akatricia
    10 years ago

I'd like to revisit this question. We're getting ready to move in shortly and we'd like to tip the folks that have done such a great job on the house. We've had bumps (inevitable, I believe) but we're really happy with the end result. The crew and subs have been so professional and hardworking. Our house is pretty expensive (around $900k) so I do believe we should be generous. But I don't know what is generous, and what is over the top. Also, I don't want to insult any one. We're talking the architect, general contractor, project manager, field supervisor, and some of the subs (tile, finish carpenter, cabinet maker, electrician, plumber, HVAC guys). Many of the subs are one to two people companies. We do plan on holding a nice party for everyone and their spouses. Any guidance you can give would be great!

• renovator8
    10 years ago

In 40 years of designing buildings I've never heard of tips or presents at the end of a project but one owner did give a party which was a bit awkward.

IMO the best thing you can do for any builder or design professional is to tell them you will recommend them to your friends or to anyone who calls. These people have little job security so being able to keep working is their greatest goal.

• auroraborelis
    10 years ago

I gave my architect a very nice bottle of wine when the plans were completed, and I will probably give him another, along with one for our builder when the house is completed.

• okpokesfan
    10 years ago

We have bought donuts, coffee, pizza, etc. for subs that were doing a great job for us. Not finished yet but don't plan on giving a bonus or anything.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!