Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redshoetraveler

Please Help with Mudroom Plan

redshoetraveler
13 years ago

We've got the first rough copy of our plan & are struggling with the mudroom layout. I'd like a half-bath, a counter drop zone with cabinet above & nothing below to accommodate future small pet bed/litter box, and open lockers. I would love a locker for each family member (5), but don't think there is room.

As you can see, the space where the lockers & counter are is 10' long. Our draftsman divided the space into a 4' counter & 6' for lockers, but I'd rather have more locker room & less for the counter. I think the lockers need to be deeper, too.

The concrete steps lead to a 2-car garage with a 1-car garage on the side. The door with steps down leads to a 4-foot cemented crawlspace. The hall has a small broom closet and then leads to the kitchen on the left & the family room on the right.

I appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

Comments (18)

• homeagain
    13 years ago

Our lockers are 8 feet long and 18 inches deep. We needed space for 5 also, so we have five shoe areas below and a shelf above divided into 5 compartments with a basket in each. We only did true lockers on each end and left space in the middle for a cushioned seating area with three hooks.

• summerfielddesigns
    13 years ago

• summerfielddesigns
    13 years ago

i think that your mud room will be a very nice space ... i worked within the guidelines you presented , and came up with , possibly , a suitable arrangement ... let me know what changes you desire ...

• redshoetraveler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mythreesonsnc - I don't want to take space from the garage. Wish I could, but it's not a large garage as it is. I like the idea of swapping the locker & counter locations so the counter is right there when you come in.

SummerfieldDesigns - This is awesome! Thanks for doing that. I love it! Do you find that 18" is deep enough or would making it as deep as the cabinet work better?

Any thoughts on putting outlets in each shelf above the hooks for charging?

• momto4inor
    13 years ago

Wow - where were you Summerfield Designs when I had this problem? Looks beautiful!

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

if you're planning on shoe storage it will be difficult to reach the back of the cubby ...unless you use a drawer or some kind of pull out shelf.

our lockers are 16" deep with a lower "seat" with a depth of 21", so we're using drawers for shoes. just something else to consider!

• summerfielddesigns
    13 years ago

i think that the 18" depth is adequate ... gave you a deep drawer alternative ... love the charging station idea

..very clever!

• pps7
    13 years ago

Looking good so far!

I would make the door to the garage 3'.

• redshoetraveler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone...loving the suggestions! Any input on the bathroom? It's kind of an odd shape.

SummerfieldDesigns - What height did you make each of the cabinets, shelves, bench, etc. You are awesome.

• chisue
    13 years ago

Ease of use is important if you expect to corral outdoor gear. Kids (and most adults) are more likely to kick shoes and boots under a bench than pull open drawers. I can see those baskets falling on kids' heads, and I see them standing on the bench cushion to reach the electrical outlets and baskets.

If you are building new, do consider 36" wide doorways wherever possible. Amazing how a little more width prevents damage to doors and frames, and eases life for a person on crutches or in a wheelchair.

• summerfielddesigns
    13 years ago

i'll draft a cross-section elevation for you redshoe. in light of chisue's post , would you share the childrens ages ... it can have an impact ... thanks

• redshoetraveler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! My kids are 8, 6, & 20 months. I am not too concerned about the climbing issue. This home will hopefully be our last, so we want it to accommodate our long-term needs. In our current home we have a storage bench for our shoes, so my kids are accustomed to having to put their shoes away. We also have two sets of hooks for backpacks, jackets, etc. (3 on one, 5 on another), so everyone is also accustomed to hanging items up near the door. Appreciate everyone's help.

• dekeoboe
    13 years ago

The plan looks good, but I would do a model to see if the cubby space or drawers are big enough for shoes. They may work for children's shoes, but I don't see how you will get more than one pair of adult shoes in there. 18" is not deep enough for to have one pair all the way in and another pair behind it. And the width will be less than 18" once you factor in the dividers or drawer sides.

The area for the dog bed also may not be large enough if you have a medium size or larger dog.

• summerfielddesigns
    13 years ago

here is the cross-section for you ... you can see the man's boot will fit more adequately without the drawer ... though the seat height can be raised ... with the 3" cushion pictured here , the seat height is 21"

• Nancy Adamopoulos
    13 years ago

Our mudroom bench is 60" wide and 17" deep(we didn't have much room to work with). We have 4 drawers for shoes and they fit quite a number of pairs. I can fit about 8 pairs of my size 6.5 shoes(more if i cram them in). My DH can fit about 4-5 pairs in his drawer. Tall boots I lay on their side(they have their own drawer). My two girls (6 & 3) share a drawer.
    We didn't make cubbies, rather our cabinet maker made 2 rows of hooks that are adjustable side-to side. I find this very convenient when i have something wide to hang. Above the hooks are 4 cubbies and above that are two 30" wide wall cabinets. Both the cubbies and the wall cabs are 12" deep (I probably would have made them deeper if I had the space).

Across from the bench is our mail station/drop area. It includes a trash pull-out, a pull-out with an outlet behind it for a shredder and multiple drawers(including a shallow toekick drawer). Above that we have wall bins for sorting mail and magazines, hooks for keys etc and a wall charging station.

• redshoetraveler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lishaana - thanks for sharing. Sounds like the drawers are working fine for you. Love your drop station w/ cabinets. And the adjustable hook idea is clever! You've fit a lot into a small space...great job!

• sferber
    13 years ago

Really nice designs and ideas, thank you everyone.

What are the recommended heights for the upper shelf and upper cabinets?

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area