Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amoroso_gw

Floor Plan Review and Question about Basement

amoroso
9 years ago

Hello Everyone,

My son is working on a floor plan for me and I just want a second set of eyes. Please bring forth the criticism. Also I have a question on how the outline of the basement would work in relationship to 1st floor. My son is an architect and he is skeptic of the form and he has only worked on houses that are perfect rectangular. He keeps on telling me that more form work for the basement walls more complications and more money, but I don't know how to simplify it.

Larger Image here: http://i.cubeupload.com/uYa5cp.png

Thank you

Comments (6)

• western_pa_luann
    9 years ago

A few quick things with a short glance:

No coat closet at the entrance.
    Door will not be able to open at the breakfast area.
    No linen closet(s)
    Master closet and master bath should swap spaces.
    I would prefer that the view from the front door NOT be that of counter stools.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'd want an "away" space. The LR can't serve that function as it's open to everything, including all the noise.

I'm not a fan of jack n jill baths and would rather see a main bath that's more accessible.

I'd also like to see a real mudroom with a bench and cubbies and such.

I'd also really dislike a bedroom with an exterior door, especially to the front...unless that area is actually to be used like an in-law set up.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

I agree with Annie:

Don't like an outside entrance to a bedroom.
    Why waste the outside wall space to a closet, when you could put your master bathroom there and have windows, fresh air and sunshine? As drawn, your master bath is a hallway.
    Don't like the laundry room next to the garage. Why isn't it next to the bedrooms?
    If there is a children's play area, apparently there are children living here - you REALLY need cubbies and lots of closet space for their garb. What state is this house being built in?
    Don't like open floor plans - no privacy or quiet at all, unless you go to a bedroom and close the door.
    Don't like having to go through a room to reach another room (children's play space to the bedroom).

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

The children's play area has no windows, so it will be dark.

As mentioned, it will be difficult to use the breakfast room door. Consider moving the door around the corner into the family room. If that it a built in unit in the breakfast room, the window is not centered in the room. Will that bother you. Do you need a window in the pantry?

What is the basement going to be used for? Why have a basement underneath the garage? I'd have just a slab for the garage.

Are you sure you want double doors into the master bedroom? If they are narrow doors, you will always have to open both to get through.

The master toilet room door should swing out for safety.

• User
    9 years ago

No. Just no. It's too large in the wrong places, has poor flow, and if budget is a concern, is exactly the wrong thing for a modest budget. Get someone else to design this. Working with relatives usually damages the relationship. It's much more important to keep your relationship with your son. And to get someone to design for you that you won't hesitate to tell him he's doing a poor job.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I do like that you have separate wings for the master and guest/children's rooms. My neighbor has that layout and it works very well for privacy.