Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sworsham_gw

Final (?) layout.. Feedback?

sworsham
11 years ago

We are hoping we are close to our final plans. We are tearing down and building on the existing lot. Everything is going so we are starting from scratch. We are planning on staying for the long haul here and are a family of 5, 3 boys under 3 right now. Here is the current layout.

Appreciate any feedback or insight.

Comments (8)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I like it.
    I'd put a prep sink in the island near the fridge.
    And, a closet in the office along the stair wall.
    You have a REALLY long way to go in the middle of the night to your Master toilet. And, with as much space as you have in that master suite, I am surprised you don't have a separated WC... That would be something I'd do, but I understand others are claustrophobic with small toilet rooms.
    I would also get some more (open) storage/bench in the side entry/mudroom area. Your boys are going to get much more active, and much more dirty. :)

What is the plan for the area near the bar sink between dining and FR? It seems overly wide. Will there be a bench there for shoes, etc for when your dirty boys come in from outside playing?

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Ditto on the prep sink. And the reach in closets on the upstairs bedrooms3 and 4 should be back to back on that wall in order to minimize sound transfer between the rooms.

All in all, this is one of the best thought out plans that has appeared on the forum in a long time. Very little wasted space, and you've remembered that homes contain furniture and people!

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

Why are there two stairs going down to the basement? (Or am I reading the plans wrong?)

I also think there is not enough space behind the dining table chairs. And how is the small room between the dining table and family room going to be used?

Is there going to be a tv in the family room? If so, where will it go? The current furniture layout doesn't look like it would work for a family of five watching something together.

• sworsham
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, we are planning a set of three cubbies with a bench in the mud room.
    In the office the wall behind the stairs is going to be built in bookcases, we are avoiding a closet so it's not classified as a bedroom.
    The stairs from the garage go to a basement workshop, the ones in the main house go to the finished portion (kids playroom and gym) with a door to the shop.
    The family room furniture is not quite representative of what we have, the plan, though controversial with some, is to put the tv over the fireplace.
    The room between the dining area and family room was initially only 5' wide but we opened in up to open the family room and kitchen, we think we are going to put a bench for the kids coming in from the back yard there as well as a kids table and chairs for different activities, maybe a couple chairs or couch in the future.

Good feedback about the prep sink, we were a little torn on putting one there, these are just the initial kitchen designs from the architect, we are starting to work with a kitchen designer, so we expect a bit of updating to the layout.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, we have been going back and forth with the architect for about 6 months :)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Your kitchen design (even if you are working with a KD) will be greatly enhanced by anything the kitchen forum has to say. You'll want to take it there for final comments.

• jessrae
    11 years ago

Very nice plan. The only thing I have to add is, if it's at all possible, to move the front entry door over a couple feet to the left so that you don't have to back into the stairs to open the door to let guests in. We had a similar setup in our old house and it always felt cramped.

• momto3kiddos
    11 years ago

You may be planning to store toys in the family room built ins, but I would also consider a closet in the corner where the stairs reach the basement. This would be a great place to "throw" toys when finished for the evening. I have a friend who has this set up and it is always so nice when we visit. Make sure you plan an outlet in there in case you would ever want to convert it to a closet office or computer spot for the boys.

I love the large mudroom. Cubbies and a bench are great ideas, but you may want to consider adding a drop zone /cabinet for you to drop mail, school papers and the like. It is also a great place to store keys, etc. I think you have room for this between the two doors.

Depending on how long you plan to be in the house, I would deepen the utility closet so that it can accommodate a stack w/d if you would need to live on th email floor as you age or someone is disabled. You only need 3' deep, and the closet behind it will be fine at 6' wide.

It looks like the foyer is 2 story. My preference would be to make it a single story and create a loft / library area upstairs with bookcases and comfy reading chairs. The kids will gravitate towards this area as they grow.

Consider a prep sink in the island. Also make sure you have enough room for the breakfast table with chairs pushed out. With three young boys, they will remain in that state for at least 15 more years... The chairs, I mean. :)

Good luck with your build!

• rrah
    11 years ago

The plan indicates a "utility closet." I'm not sure what that means in this plan, but when I see a "utility closet" I think of a space for furnace/hot water heater. If that is the purpose, I'm wondering why it's not in the basement. I would put those items in the basement and turn that utility closet into a guest closet for coats, etc.

You may live in a warm climate and not need a space for guests' coats, etc. but it seems to be missing. You might also consider making it a linen closet for the first floor bedroom and kitchen/bath towels, etc. I don't see a pantry so it could be used for that also.