Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_bowers492

Help with basic layout (exterior)

Jeff Bowers
9 years ago

Our lot and building footprint is a bit unusual, and I'm looking for some up-front guidance on how to proceed. We're on the bulb of the cul-de-sac, but because of the sewer easement, we can't have the front of the house directly facing the street. We need to include a 3-car garage, but with the narrowness of the lot, our options for its location are limited. Additionally, the road to the cul-de-sac is angled, and driving in points you directly at the most northern portion of our lot.

The style we like is Naween style (French eclectic for those unfamiliar) and if a big tower helps the composition, all the better. We're planning on about 5000 sq ft. -- two stories with basement.

I'm looking for two things, really -- suggestions on how to meet this challenge, and as we present this to architects we interview, what we should expect from them, that is, "A good architect will ask/do/suggest . . ., but don't pick the architect who. . ."

Thanks so much.

Comments (9)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Pick the guy who wants to see the lot before talking price.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Now you know why this was the cheapest lot in the development.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    9 years ago

"Naween Style"???? The only place I have ever seen that phrase used in connection with an architectural style was on a thread posted here on Gardenweb back in December. A gardenwebber with the log-on name of Naween started a thread saying that she'd found, what for her, was a perfect compromise between French Provincial and Tudor and she labeled this compromise French Normandy. Another gardenwebber (LogBuildDreams) chimed in to say that that Naween should go with what she liked and "call it Naween style". The inimitable Renovator then chimed in to provide a lesson in architectural history regarding French Eclectic style and posted an image that, I suspect, OP stumbled across. Thread link is below....

I think both Naween and LogBuildDreams would get a kick out of LBD's suggestion being elevated to an architectural style name with the implied suggestion that those in the know would recognize Naween Style as French eclectic. LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: the birth of

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

You need the services of a very experienced and skilled architect. He can educated you on the challenges of this lot, as well as the different styles and the appropriate details that belong with each style. In the mean time, I suggest you do some reading. You really need to learn more about home styles, as well as the design and construction process.
    ' What Not To Build

Get Your House Right

Field Guide to American Houses

What Your Contractor Can't Tell You

Designing Your Perfect House

The Not So Big House

Get Your House Right

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 years ago

oh bevangel, I DID get a kick out of it!
    But hey, give it a hundred years, it could become a 'thing'?! ;)

I also highly recommend the "Designing your perfect house" book, - we used it to define our 'program document' that identified our tastes, how we currently and plan to use each space, our space requirements, etc.
    Several architects we spoke to were thrilled with the resulting document, as it gave them a good idea of 'us' and our future needs.

...sadly though, we didn't find an architect to work with - they were either too busy, didn't have a design ethos that worked for us (too modern), or they told us point blank - "I don't find your concept interesting, I'm just in it for the paycheque'.

What not to build was pretty good, but I found even it lacked the ability to clarify what was 'wrong' with certain facades (esp wrt dormers)

While I can appreciate existing architectural styles, I don't believe we should stick to them 100% - or new styles will never be created (and I think they should be). So for our house, we've tried to stick to 'typical' where possible, but deviated where it makes sense to us.

Susanka's series - won't reduce your cost, just your footprint, as she prefers lots of built-ins etc.

• Jeff Bowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ouch, pixie_lou. IMO this was the best lot in the development. It's one of the largest lots, has the largest space where a house can be located, and has the biggest "backyard" before sloping down to the creek area. The catch basin's restriction is that we can't build down there or change the engineered slope, which we weren't planning to anyway, and the sewer easement restriction is that we can't build anything permanent on it. We can still pave over it for a driveway. Plus it forces the house into a pure north facing orientation which is what we wanted anyway. This way the back of the house faces south, and onto our backyard and creek area instead of looking into the neighbor's backyard. Even without the easement that's probably how we would have positioned the house.

The fact that these issues were seen as negatives just means to me that we got a bargain on the best lot.

bevangel: That thread is where I found it. I've enjoyed reading the Castlehaus thread, and I've felt that what Naween wants matches my desires and Angel's (DW) in many aspects. It was very helpful that "French Norman" and "French Eclectic" came up in that thread gave me some good terms to search on and communicate with an architect. Although when the architect asks what style of house we like, I'm tempted to tell him, "Naween".

Thanks for the book recommendations. I've gone through
    Designing Your Dream Home
    Get Your House Right
    What Your Contractor Can't Tell You
    Designing Your Perfect House
    and Several of Susanka's books

They've all been very good. Get your house right was the most eye-opening. Designing Your Dream Home will probably be our most useful because it covers so much stuff. It's a huge book of "consider this" and "don't forget that".

Personally, I really like Susanka's philosophy and the movement it inspired, but Angel is unconvinced. She's tired of living in spaces that feel cramped. We watched several episodes of Tiny House Nation together. I was intrigued by the design challenges and clever solutions. Angel's reaction was "appalled" and "concerned about my interest in it".

• LogBuildDreams
    9 years ago

Hey, if we can add "Hashtag", "Selfie" and "Turducken" to the dictionary, "Naween" can be a style of modern revival architecture! Wait till the architects get ahold of that one ;)

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

The sewer easement has an angle?

Anyway, I'd include in your diagram the slope. the creek, etc. I think those are actually bigger concerns with where you build your house. (Build it beneath the top of the hill and you will likely have basement flooding problems.) If you have any good views, take them into account.

A good architect will ask a lot of questions about what you want the location, take the slope into account, design for the lot.

One thing you have to watch for is architects who see a house as more a sculpture then anything else...they build houses that look amazing but are a huge headache to live in. They have great looking portfolios though..

• Jeff Bowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The sewer easement has an angle?

Yes, but not the one shown. Since I was asking for ideas about the look of the facade, I simplified the diagram. On the left side is the sewer easement, and on the right is the curved setback from the street.

The best view is to the south, and the slope is mild from north to south, then drops sharply to the creek bed. Up against the sewer easement and the street setback is the right location for the house.