Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happydoc

Help! Dining room.

Happydoc
10 years ago

I am trying to decide if I should do columns or forget about columns all together. If I use columns, half columns on pony wall or full length columns. If we add walls instead of columns, how much do you think we should close off the dining room.

In the adjacent study, we are going to put half columns on a pony wall.

The house is more of a contemporary house on the inside. Outside would be closest to cottage style.

Comments (11)

• lolauren
    10 years ago

If those columns aren't for support, I'd consider eliminating them. I would appreciate having more flexibility over the space. For example, if you need a larger table or to change the orientation for a family get-together, that could be easily accomplished without the columns in place. (I didn't have that option - one of ours was for support.)

• Happydoc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are not load bearing. If we had no columns or walls, that would be a very open space. I think maybe to open.

• Karen15
    10 years ago

I love decorative columns. Could you do three? Or even two ...I think four is too much. Do you host a lot of gatherings with a lot of people? Even if the columns weren't there the foyer and hallway are the spaces you'd spill
    Into but how often?

• nightowlrn
    10 years ago

HappyDoc -- would you mind sharing more about your house plans? sqft, upstairs, elevations, inspiration pictures. We are in the process of narrowing down our needs and wants list for the design and really like the layout with the back stairs, pr, and would make the guest room a MBR.

As for this post, I am more into intimate dining rooms, so I would want walls rather than posts. Good luck with your design.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I wouldn't want to sit and look at the entry door from the dining table so I would want to close that portion off. I added cabinets between our first column and the wall so now all you see is the top part of the door and I like that better and we get the light from there. The cabinets are all storing toys or a pony wall would have been nice too.

• shiltsy
    10 years ago

Slightly off topic, but I need to find a way to incorporate that small office off the kitchen in our plan. My wife would absolutely love that.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I don't understand what that little space is for in the study where the columns are... what are you planning on putting there?

Re the dining room, it really is a matter of what you want. If you're not sure, I'd suggest looking at existing homes to see if you like it. The columns in this case are decorative, so it's a matter of if you like the look. I definitely would not do short columns and pony wall though as that is neither here nor there. It can look appropriate if craftsman is your style though. If you want columns, I'd say do them all the way.

You can get a very open feel...perhaps too open... by having the columns open up to the foyer. My preference is for more coziness.

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Clearwater Home Builders Arthur Rutenberg Homes

You need not do them on both sides...you can do columns on one side and a doorway on the other.

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Brookline Architects & Designers Duckham Architecture & Interiors

Also consider how you use the room and how much wall space you want...do you want both a hutch and buffet? Or will one be sufficient?

[Transitional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2112) by Minneapolis Interior Designers & Decorators Martha O'Hara Interiors

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Chicago Design-Build Firms John Hall Homes

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Johns Island Architects & Designers Christopher A Rose AIA, ASID

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Take a look on line at Toll Brothers houses...they do the columns on the DR by the foyer a lot.

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

If you will entertain in your dining room, it would be nice to have a place to set serving dishes, etc. (When my DR table, although large, is fully set with plates, crystal, centerpiece etc., there's not a ton of space for serving dishes.) I'd think about how you want to use that room and whether a wall with a built in cabinet/counter, wet (or dry) bar, wine storage, etc. are appropriate.

Since there's not really space for a butler's pantry b/w the kitchen and DR, I'd want something for placing things that come out of the kitchen. The one below has a counter and vertical storage (to take the place of columns.) The difference is that what you'd see beyond it is a wall rather than another room (if it was b/w the DR and kitchen) which could be very nice if you have some nice large art there but not great if it's a blank wall.

I'd like more separation b/w the foyer and DR to make it more cozy, maybe just a large opening with French doors that can close, but that's personal preference as others have mentioned.

• Happydoc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, the pictures were very helpful. We did look on Houzz and realized we really don't like the look of columns. So we are going to close it off some with full walls use cased openings, I agree that it would be nicer if the dining room is not so open. We probably will have two openings, one across from kitchen entry and one across the study doors.

With the savings we get from eliminating columns, we might try to add builtins in that wall since we don't have storage in dining room. As far as a small wine rack and beverage fridge I planned it in the corner of kitchen on the fridge wall.

The small space in the study with columns is where we are planning on putting a small temple. We probably won't have a traditional office there since we put a small one by the kitchen. We reaklly love the small office by the kitchen as the pocket door will probably be open most of the time and when guests come, we can close it without having to clean clutter.

This post was edited by Happydoc on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 17:08

• LOTO
    10 years ago

Our entry, kitchen, dining, great room are almost the exact same layout as yours and we eliminated the columns and went with a 5' opening in both walls and installed pocket doors with glass panes

This post was edited by LOTO on Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 11:24