Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will this be a future problem? Fireplace question.

Posted by drewem (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 12:33

The builder cut out the windows for either side of the gas fireplace. They must have forgotten to actually order the windows.

The gas fireplace is already framed in the wall. The window holes have been there since 12/15. It has rained, it has snowed, it is windy.

Should I assume there has been water or other damage to the gas fireplace? It has the normal cardboard cut out in the front. What should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will this be a future problem? Fireplace question.

Is there any visible and obvious damage? Discuss with your builder and let him know that if the fireplace is inoperable or doesn't function properly, you will expect him to replace it at his expense.

Unfortunately, this sort of weather issues are not uncommon.

Good luck with your project.

o

"Should I assume there has been water or other damage to the gas fireplace? "

No, you should go see if there is water or other damage.
Assume nothing.

o

LuAnn, I have seen it in person. There is cardboard covering the fireplace. I cannot see beyond it. That is why I was asking. It does not look wet, but with open window holes on either side there is the possibility.

I know exactly what the builder will say. Oh it is fine. You have a warrenty. That is why I wanted an unbiased opinion. Fireplace stores are not helpful.

Thank you for your response vigil. No visible or obvious damage as of yet, but it has been exposed since the 15th.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here