Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carsonheim_gw

Concern about arches between rooms

carsonheim
10 years ago

Hi folks. Just got back what I *thought* would be our final draft from architect. I'm concerned that the arched openings between the foyer and pantry into the dining room will not work. Take a look: Our dining room ceiling pops up to 10 feet in the center, with 9 feet around the perimeter.

The arch openings into the DR are specified to be 9 feet tall. Will this look goofy from inside the DR, with the arches the same height as the ceiling???

What do you all think?

Comments (7)

• User
    10 years ago

Do standard 80" openings. A pantry of any variety is a utility space, not a featured attraction. Same with the opening to the foyer. It will look better having some wall over it to emphasize the different ceiling heights. And unless arches are prominently featured throughout the whole home, skip them as well. Simple square cased openings work best with most home styles.

No window on the lower right? I would think you'd take the opportunity for the extra light.

• mommyto4boys
    10 years ago

Most definitely, lower the arched opening. We have minimum of 10 foot ceilings, some areas higher on our main floor and all openings are 8 feet high. Good luck!

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

Probably just a mistake and they meant to specify 8ft. (maybe the fur down was added later)

• Michael
    10 years ago

It looks to me that they specified 90" tall openings, or 7'-6", which will leave an adequate amount of space until the ceiling.

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

typically 5090 means 5ft-0in x 9ft-0in and not 50"x90"

• User
    10 years ago

"typically 5090 means 5ft-0in x 9ft-0in and not 50"x90""

This is the kind of dimensioning shorthand favored by homebuilders and is subject to misinterpretation because there are no architectural drawing standards for it.

The best way to show the size of a wall opening is to dimension it in feet and inches. If it has an arch it should be shown in an interior elevation not only to help the builder but so the owner can review it. Multiple arches in the same room should be used with great care.

The appropriate way to show a door size is to give it a code that references a door schedule where additional information can be given like the hardware, finish and the shape of the top.

The same goes for windows because the order numbers used by manufacturers are based on many different conventions; some reference the frame size, others the sash size and others the glass size. 30 can mean 2'-6" or 3'-0" and the second half of a double hung order number can reference just the height of one sash.

It is wise to avoid cryptic esoteric notations of any kind on contract documents unless you want to fill your garage with oddly proportioned windows.

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

got it all worked out. all openings will be a uniform 8 feet tall. :)