Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tylerh21

Don Gardner Fitzgerald or Hartswick?

tylerh21
12 years ago

Hey guys! My wife and I are preparing to build a house and are interested in both the Don Gardner Fitzgerald and Hartswick. Have any of you built either of these plans or know of any pictures of the finished product? Its hard to get an idea from the Gardner website. Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Tyler

Comments (4)

• pfieff
    12 years ago

Fitzgerald:

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Hi Tylerh21! Welcome to the forums!

I haven't been inside either of these home plans, but The Fitzgerald was built nearby & it is beautiful. The Hartswick is also a very popular plan in my area. Here's what I see:

The Hartswick's style has been around for a long time. We have houses in historic districts that look just like it from the exterior. So I think you could call it's look timeless. However, where once it was a novelty, it has become very commonplace in the last decade or so. The Fitzgerald's style is also pretty timeless, so you pretty much can't go wrong from that standpoint.

I like the larger dining room in the Hartswick, the kitchen layout in general & that it has a powder room near the garage entrance.

The Fitzgerald offers a more centralized staircase (easier access), a full bath attached to the study which could double as a guest suite, a larger family room, a linen closet on the 2nd level, and a larger bonus room. While many on the forums don't care for the J&J bath, I do. The Fitzgerald has it while the Hartswick plan has 2 bedrooms with no private access to a shared bath.

If this was my house, I would go with the Fitzgerald plan & I would utilize the space over the foyer on the 2nd level to make a bathroom for the bedroom by the stairs & make the J&J bath a private one for the rear bedroom. You may even be able to squeeze a 1/2 bath in for the bonus room in that space. Downstairs, I would extend the utility room to the end of the garage & bump it out back a little to fit in a powder room. I would delete the counter in the kitchen that borders the family room & put the sink in the island to open that space up. I would make the back porch deeper (14-16' deep) so you could actually use the space and not feel cramped. I would delete the door & windows from the master onto the porch and put a triple window in centered to the room.

Just my $0.02. Hope this helps!

• dlreed
    12 years ago

tylerh21

did you decide to build the fitzgerald or the hartswick? i am considering the fitzgerald and was wondering if you had any advice.

• Whittaker5
    11 years ago

Would love some suggestions on The Fitzgerald and wether I should be able to access the bonus room from the second floor??