Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

delaying our project due to illness

illinigirl
10 years ago

Hi,
Well it seems that almost as soon as we've begun (foundation just finished and sits there curing) that we are taking a breather from it. Without going into a long long story, my husband (41yrs old) got a freak infection in his foot and took quite ill about 10 days ago now. He's still in the hospital and things are looking up but we need to focus all our time and efforts on his recovery before we can get back to our project.

Our builders have been a class act through the ordeal so far. Don't worry about anything they say. Right now the short term plan is for them to frame another house instead of ours (which was scheduled to begin at the end of next week). This will buy us into the new year. By then we HOPE we can get back to our project but no sense thinking about it yet until we have better clarity on his health and what he'll need after he comes home. He won't be returning to work for 6-8 weeks at least. We'll need to get him walking again after skin grafts on the bottom of his foot due to the damage the infection caused there.

We are fine with the delay, obviously. In my own mind I would even prefer a fall completion date rather than summer, but whatever it is it is.

Any words of wisdom in this? Anyone experience anything similar? Anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks for lending an ear.

Comments (8)

• jdez
    10 years ago

I hate that your delay was for a reason like this but it sounds like your working with some good people. Keep your chin up. It is better for this to happen now instead of later when you are in the middle of making hundreds of decisions. In the mean time, I will keep ya'll in my prayers. Keep us updated.

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear about your husbands infection. Hopefully he will make a full recovery soon. Health is the most important thing and in the long run delaying the project by a few weeks is not going to be a big deal. Glad your builder has been understanding.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Oh my. :( That sounds like a very frightening infection.

What a relief the builder is going with the flow. With foundation only and no framing It sounds like you are in a good spot to take a break and not worry about any damage to the foundation of the house.

Still pop in so we know how things are going with your dh. Will add him to my list of prayers as well. I hope he is on the mend soon. Hang in there.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

What a frightening time for your family. Nothing comes before health and whatever you need to do to assist your husband in his recovery has to be top of the list. Your builder sounds like he's working with you and surely he understands the project has to come second right now. Wishing for a speedy recovery/rehab for your DH and hope to hear updates when you can.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear of his infection and the devastating effects. Obviously his health comes first on the list of priorities. I'll be praying for him and your family as well.
    Meanwhile, you asked what you should be concerned about.
    You're doing your own GC aren't you? If that's the case you can spread this out over as long a time as you need to, except:
    Do you have bank financing in place? There is always a time factor on a construction loan. And usually there is a first option for going over on that time limit. But it can get complicated going past that first option date.
    If you have bank financing in place I'd encourage you to get together with your banker at your first opportunity and explain the situation, so that they can explain what your options are to you.

Wishing you all the best.
    Marji

• bpath
    10 years ago

So sorry about the troubles, but glad he is being treated well medically, and that YOU are being treated well by your contractor. Does he need to do anything to protect the foundation you just poured going into the freeze and snow season?

Take care, and don't go letting your DH clamber around the construction site :)

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

Sending healing vibes your way. Health comes first. It is great to hear that your builder is working with you. There is no rush and your husband's health is the number one priority. Keep your chin up!

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. Things continue to look good regarding my husband's health. It's possible he'll come home Thursday.

We are not GCing ourselves. I will check in on the banking but if I remember correctly the loan doesn't convert for 10 months which gives us a couple months wiggle room. I'll definitely verify those times frames. The foundation has been protected with straw and tarp though it's not freezing here much yet. Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler