Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tastyhummus

Is this a good house plan?

tastyhummus
9 years ago

William Poole Green Valley
http://www.williampoole.com/plans/Green_Valley

We have two kids, ages 3 years and 7 months, and we are considering building on a 3 acre lot in New England. We may have one more kid eventually, not sure yet!

The most important part of the house, to me, is the kitchen. This plan looks a little wonky, but probably could be fixed. I don't think we need 3 full baths on the second floor - the kids can share a bath, I think.

I'd probably do away with the doors to the backyard from the great room, since we have this now and only ever use the ones from the eating area.

Any other thoughts?

TIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: William Poole Green Valley

Comments (14)

• Michelle
    9 years ago

I actually really like the plan! Beautiful!

• bpath
    9 years ago

I like it, but "Her Studio" with the laundry machines? It's either sexist or Hazel the maid lives there, too.

I'm not so sure about the master bedroom opening right off of the LR. The foyer seems to gracious, then the MB is right there with no transition.

I'd change the linen cupboard in the MB, looks like it'd be hard to reach back into the corner. And the broom closet is deep and narrow, but a good size for the vacuum!

• Lars
    9 years ago

I would need more upper cabinets than that - the storage in the kitchen looks very minimal. The pantry helps a lot, but it is not as convenient as cabinets in the kitchen would be. I would probably replace the wet bar with built-in china cabinet, unless you plan on putting one in the dining room.

If you open the broom closet door all the way, you cannot open the door to the dining room. I do not like doors that swing both ways - especially to a dining room, unless they have a window in them - otherwise they are accidents waiting to happen. A pocket door would be more appropriate, since you would probably want to just leave it open most of the time. In any event, it should only swing into the dining room, if it has to swing. It has the potential to bang into the pantry door as well the way it is. The architect made a point not the show the door swings all the way open, as that would reveal the overlaps. I would also put pocket doors in the wardrobes. Any time you see a door swing represented with a 45 degree swing, you need to look more closely at it and figure why it is not shown swinging as far as is actually possible. The front door from the porch appears to swing into the staircase - also not a good idea.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I like the layout, but I also think it's over-sized for a family of four. All the rooms are quite large. Keep in mind that this isn't just expensive to build; it's expensive to furnish, insure, heat/cool, and keep clean.

Having said that, I see a couple things that could be better:

The dining room doesn't have wonderful flow. In most dining rooms, one side is open to the entryway or another room . . . and this means that multiple people can come and go at the same time.

I don't see any point in having TWO powder rooms on the first floor. I'd pick one or the other and make the other into a closet. You can always use another closet, and either location would be useful.

Though I generally like an L+ island kitchen, this one is set up awkwardly: The biggest thing that I don't like is that when you enter from the garage, you'll have to carry the groceries through the kitchen (perhaps disrupting the cook). Ideally, you want to have your food storage (both pantry and refrigerator) nearest the casual entrance . . . then your prep space and cooking space in the middle . . . and your serving space and clean-up space on the other side. This kitchen is kind of in need of a flip-flop. I'm tempted to say, "Move the garage entrance to the pantry area, and move the pantry to the back hallway . . . but that messes up the "Her Studio" entrance.

By the way, I am in no way insulted by the "Her Studio -- it wouldn't make me feel like Hazel the maid. I'd assume it's a sewing and/or craft space. I'd add windows above the washer/dryer so as to have natural light from two directions -- and I'd have plenty of floor-to-ceiling windows.

I would, however, move the sink "in line" with the washer/dryer to save money.

A bookcase in the breakfast room? I'd rather have a cabinet topped with shelves for dishes. This would be a good place to keep the coffee pot.

Though it's quite popular, I never like a door opening into an eating space. Once you place a table in this space, you won't be able to open the door.

I agree with cutting back on bathrooms bathrooms -- three plus a powder room is both expensive and unnecessary. With two children, possibly three in the future, I'd go with one nice-sized bath that opens to the hallway.

The upstairs powder room could turn into a great linen closet, something that would be quite useful.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

i agree that I would prefer a transition to the MB rather than direct access from the living areas.

Personally, I really like having the "Her Studio" (gads, whatta name!) closer to the bedrooms where most laundry is generated in order to not have to haul it all so far. Especially with all the kid's clothes. Of course, if they are good helpers and haul their own clothes/bedding, the location wouldn't be so bad.

I just know that, for myself anyway, if laundry is far removed from the area I frequent, I tend to forget about it and end up with clothes that have sat in the washer for too long so they sometimes need at least a quick re-rinse prior to drying. So I'm thrilled that now my laundry is more centrally located and easy to keep track of what stage of wash/dry things are.

Might not be a deal breaker for you but just something to consider.

• tastyhummus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback! Definitely all good things{{gwi:807}} to think about.

I think "her studio" is a dumb name but I really liked the location of that room. We need a place that's easy to close off for our small dog to stay while we are out of the house and think I could build in a space under the counter for her small crate. Her bowls, food, etc could be in drawers in this area. I also see it as a mail dump and charging station for my DH who currently dumps all that stuff on my kitchen counter and charges his work{{gwi:807}} iPad on top of the coffee machine. I do wonder if there's a way to add some hooks for coats and such.

I'm not sure what is meant by a transition to the mb?

Public man - I think I would eliminate the door to the dining room. Not sure it needs a door or that I'd ever close it. Pocket doors on the closets is a good idea!

Mrspete - our house now is 3600 sq ft without the big "Rec room" and it doesnt feel that big to me! So really it's just one more room than we have now. I like the idea of windows above the w/d. We currently only have one small window in our laundry and it's dark. I liked the bookcase in the eating area cause I have a huge cookbook{{gwi:807}} collection, but I do think the kitchen layout needs work. I currently have refrigerator, cooktop, ovens on a long side of an "L", main sink on the short side, and a prep sink on the island. It seems to work really well so hopefully we could do something like that. Agree with no powder room on the second floor and combining bathrooms into a larger one.

Funkycamper - I'm terrible, i pay someone to come and do our laundry weekly... So the laundry room location is not too bad for me. I do like having a laundry chute, but that won't work with the MB on the same floor!

One thing I am worried about with this plan is if my kids wanted to get a piano... We don't have one now but I don't see a great space for even an upright piano...right? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks so much for the feedback! Lots of good things to think about!

This post was edited by tastyhummus on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 21:24

• mojomom
    9 years ago

Actually, I like the plan and you've had some good feedback, but "Her Studio!" Really find that offensive, and I don't take offense easily. Of course, our laundry is near HIS office and he does the majority of the laundry.

• Aims
    9 years ago

I actually really like that plan.

That powder bath by your front door should definitely be made into a coat closet since you already have another powder room. My old house was a 2 story and we had a powder bath on the first floor and it was more than sufficient.

3 1/2 baths on the 2nd floor is just NUTS. I am not an expert or anything, but I have a couple of ideas to throw out. They may not be possible, but here goes.

Keep the powder room and make a jack n jill for bedroom's 2 and 3? I don't know how to configure it, though.

Or maybe make one hall bath for 2 and 3 to share and cut out the powder room. Bedroom 2's bathroom could become a closet and that would you give you ample space for a hallway bathroom.

• Katie S.
    9 years ago

I think the elevation is beautiful.

The upstairs bathroom in the dormer will be very charming, and I would keep at least one of the others, if not all three. I do think the upstairs powder room is necessary unless you give one of the main baths hallway access, just for guests using the rec room.

The dining room is a very nice size. There may be room for a piano in there, against the pantry wall, depending on what other furniture you want.

I agree that there should be some sort of hallway to the master bedroom, especially in a house of this size, although I have no idea how it could be done without adding square footage. Anyone in the great room looking at your fireplace (and will your tv be on that wall?) will be staring at your bedroom/ door.

Kitchen will be dark...my pet peeve, but many don't mind. I like the bookcase in the breakfast room.. Cookbooks like you said, and coloring/ etc stuff for your kids.

Really don't like how bedroom 3 and 4 share a wall. In a house with so many closets and baths, surely there is a way to avoid this.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Plenty of space for a piano in the upstairs rec room. That's what pro piano movers are good at. The stairs look navigable for any kind of vertical instrument.
    A 7ft grand would fit nicely if you wanted to sacrifice the dining room for a music room.
    Casey

• bpath
    9 years ago

I do like the "her studio", but in my grandmother's house, the same room was called the "utility room". Personally, if the square footage doesn't bother, two half-baths on the first floor is fine! The back one is handy for when you're outside or working in the garage or studio. But an half-bath upstairs I don't get. I'd leave the dormer bath, combine the other two into one more spacious one with storage, accessed from the hall.

I'm just not sure about the great room, looks hard to arrange furniture.

The dining room is a great size, and nice and quiet for entertaining. If you don't entertain formally, though, it would be a very good room for piano and home office.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

IMHO...too many bathrooms! Maybe you'll have a maid, but I would hate to clean all those bathrooms, myself :)

Maybe change the entry powder room into a walk-in closet? Then the two bathrooms (back to back) upstairs can be combined into one. You might use that for the rec room, too...which would give you space for another small walk-in closet.

I'd rather have the storage...but everyone has their own ideas about their home!

• tastyhummus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again!

Yes, too many bathrooms. Would definitely combine the 2 adjacent full baths upstairs into one. Maybe with a double vanity and a separate tub/toilet room, and accessed from the hall.

I found this variation for the upstairs powder room area with a second laundry area that I like the idea of. Then I could put in hook ups and have a big closet, or convert it in the future to a second floor laundry when the kids get older and can do their own. (I would not build the walk in closet or the "bath 2" in this drawing and would keep the right most room a rec room not a bedroom) Then the downstairs front powder room could get converted to a future elevator space if necessary.

• reinitodepiedra
    9 years ago

The house looks neat and there are a lot of great looking homes on that website that I had never come across in my searches. I appreciate the link.