Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stuarbc

Sheetrock/trim/paint repairs...when to address?

stuarbc
10 years ago

We are getting close to the end of our build....the trim has been installed....paint has gone up.....and cabinets are being installed tomorrow.

The last meeting we had with our builder was at the home right after trim had gone in. It was only a quick meeting and it was at night so we couldn't see much. However, the builder did notice that the trim around one of the windows was not square and looked very bad. He said he was going to have his trim guys fix it before they finished.

Now the trim is in and everything is painted. Although, they obviously have to come back and touch up paint some things. I walked through the house and saw numerous issues that seem like they could have been avoided by doing some simple prep work prior to painting. Items such as dings in the sheetrock, large globs of the orange peel texture, and non caulked cracks were all painted over. The paint is peeling up around all of the windows....not sure if it is b/c they used non-paintable caulk or there was dust or something that wasn't cleaned up. There are nail heads protruding from the trim in places that are just painted over. And even the piece of trim that the builder noticed wasn't square is painted and was not fixed.

I am trying to avoid nagging the builder about things that are normal/typical during a build and/or would just be fixed/touched-up at the end of the job. Some of the items....like the trim around the windows and gouges in the wall....seem like a bigger deal than just a quick touch-up paint at the end of the job.

I want the forum's opinion on whether I should go through and mark the areas and make a punch list of the items for the builder....or just hold off and give him a chance to go through and fix things and then do a punch list at the end.

Comments (11)

• dadereni
    10 years ago

My preference is generally to have the builder tell me when it's ready. Damage can happen if work is ongoing, and also things can get out of hand if you bring each thing to his attention separately.

Make sure that he has done his own thorough check and corrections first. Nothing worse than making a punch list full of super obvious flaws. From what you describe you might have some instances of poor workmanship, which is unacceptable. If you encounter this, don't waste your time marking everything--stop and tell the builder you expect him to catch these things himself, and to come back to you when it's really ready for you to look at. In the best cases, a punchlist is made up primarily of things that any skilled person might miss, because he is human, in a job that is otherwise well-done.

Good luck!

• Karen15
    10 years ago

This is a great question because I have a list of things that need to be fixed. I think my builder is fixing at the very end. We've brought up and took pics though.to me it's easier to fix early on but I'm learning builders wait until the end . Or atleast mine is. Our quartz counter needed to be fixed and they are fixing today actually and fixing the chipped brand new cabinets.

• stuarbc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I decided to message my builder and just nicely mention that I saw there were some issues with paint and trim that needed to be fixed and whether that was something they fixed now or later. He replied in one of his usual wordy informative type answers....."Yes." I am assuming that means later.

I think I am just going to go through the house in detail and make a list of everything that I see at this time that needs to be fixed. That way, later in the project....after he has had his chance to fix everything...I can go back through and make sure all of it was fixed appropriately.

• uponthehilltop
    10 years ago

@stuarbc- I swear, we must have the same builder!
    "I decided to message my builder and just nicely mention that I saw there were some issues with paint and trim that needed to be fixed and whether that was something they fixed now or later. He replied in one of his usual wordy informative type answers....."Yes." I am assuming that means later."

• stuarbc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

went through the house yesterday and made a list...that was even longer than expected. The builder called me for a different issue and I mentioned that I was at the house and was seeing a lot of issues and he kind of cut me off and said that it would all be fixed and we would have a big punch list at the end of the job that they would have to go through.

Wanted to give you guys some ideas of the type defects I am talking about. I noticed a lot of issues with the trim around doors. I don't see how this could be fixed without replacing the trim.

Here is a pic of one of the chips in the door frames. I saw several of these around the house.

• stuarbc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is a picture of one of the door trims that looks like they just used a scratched up piece of wood instead of trashing it for a better piece. Saw this in several places as well.

• stuarbc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is a picture of trim around one of the windows. Horrible cut that looks like they tried to patch...poorly.

• stuarbc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another pic of one of the doorframes shown above. If you look about halfway down the trim there is a nail sticking out

• stuarbc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one of the gouges in the wall that they just painted over

• Karen15
    10 years ago

Oh my those are very noticeable . You sound like me. I took pictures of things so I wouldn't forget. I get the same response of yes it'll get done. I guess he's gonna fix at the end then. It's sad I bet some people don't notice this stuff either and then they move in and see it.