Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mclendon2009_gw

How long to build

mclendon2009
14 years ago

Can anyone give me their time frames on your builds

Just wondering what is the average from start to finish..

Getting ready to finally close on existing house and start the new build.

Thanks to all for your help!

Comments (19)

• bigkahuna
    14 years ago

This depends on several things. The size and complexity of your home. Lot /land ..ie hillside lot vs flat, wooded vs empty and so on. The amount of interior detail and finish level

Are you self contracting or not ?

Usually runs 8-12 months of actual construction. This can vary depending on factors above. Then you have the permiting and financing part of it if you still have that to deal with. Good Luck and enjoy your build.

• creek_side
    14 years ago

The average custom home build in this area is at least a year.

Ours will be about eight months. We had terrible weather, which held us up for at least a month. Our builder is considered to be faster than most, according to the subs that work for him (and others).

• bigkahuna
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention ..as Creekside did..Weather...depending where you are in the country and when you start. Starting in winter can stretch things out due to cold and snow. Starting in spring can be spotty due to rain.

• shelly_k
    14 years ago

Ours will be 10-11 months from the time the basement walls were poured. Ours is a 3100 sq foot ranch with partially finished basement.

• mclendon2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you to all for your input!

• dixiedoodle
    14 years ago

4500+ sq/ft cape on 2 acre level lot...2+ years. don't ask...

• bigkahuna
    14 years ago

I just helped my GF and her brother design and build houses. One finished in about 11 months on a lightly sloped wooded lot starting day after Thanksgiving day and the other started a few weeks later on a wooded steep slope lot. We spent a summer clearing lot and should finish house in a few weeks so just over a year on it. They both were started in winter weather that was a pain and both we self constracted. Heres a link to the steep sloped lot project on the porch forum http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/porch/msg1202370128208.html?8

2 years Ouch...Ok I wont ask. Hope its ending soon

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

30 days to 30 years. depends.
    we're over 15 months now. four more to go. maybe, maybe not.

• jllmb79
    14 years ago

5 months -6 months hopefully for us....The lot was cleared and they started digging August 1st or so

• iamsum
    14 years ago

we're 10 weeks in and we have about 2 months left of work. Like everyone else has said, it all depends on your project. Right now with a lot of contractors and subs out of work you maybe able to finish faster. I was told a couple years ago you would have a hard time getting a contractor to call you back let alone build you a house.

• Adella Bedella
    14 years ago

Ours is going to be about 5 months for a 3000 sf updated ranch. We're almost finished. We've mainly had good weather except for the below 32 degree temps lately.

• dyno
    14 years ago

Around here (southwest BC), 6-12 months depending on the time of year. I've heard of houses going up back east in Toronto in about 3 months which I think is quite insane.

• booboo60
    14 years ago

Like the others have said, so much depends on your location, size of the house, floor plan, finishes, roof, weather, etc. We started the end of August last year and moved in March 6th of this year; about 7 months. I think if we could have started in the spring we would have finished a little sooner.
    Good Luck!

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

If you're paying the interest on the construction loan, I would negotiate a deadline and the builder pays the interest after that date. We contracted for six months, it took seven. It could have been done in six, it just sat with no subs visiting too often.

• mainecoonkitty
    14 years ago

92 days flat - start to finish. We used an Amish builder who does not use subs, except for the electrical wiring. His crews work 6 days a week from 6:00am until dark. We started in July and had not a single day of rain or weather delay from the day the foundation was dug until the last shingle went on the roof.

And this was a complicated plan - 3000 sq feet, 2 story with a walkout finished basement, a well, a septic system, all hardwood and tile floors, a 23 ft coffered ceiling in our Great room, hand laid stone fireplaces, a sunroom, deck and screened in porch, 1000 ft driveway on 8 acres, lots of stained cherry woodwork, granite, and custom made cabinets.

The difference I saw in building this house with an Amish builder and the one I had built a few years ago was incredible efficiency and a complete lack of wasted materials. Everything was meticulously scheduled and when the build was over, there was less than a half dumpster full of waste materials.

My brother-in-law is a residential construction inspector and he did our final inspection for us. He said it's the best built house he's ever seen - energy efficient and solid as a rock. He could not believe the quality of the work in the amount of time it took to build.

But......we waited on a waiting list for over two yrs to be able to get this particular builder. He works by referal only and he built houses for 2 of our friends, so we knew the quality of his work a long time ago. And although his bid for the project was about $100,000 less than a comparable builder, he doesn't work cheap and he won't compromise the quality of his workman for mere speed. It just so happened that the Fates smiled on us and we didn't run into any weather or scheduling delays. We also had almost two years to pre-pick out and plan every single material that went into this house, so there were no delays along those lines either. he never had to wait for us to make choices and order things at the last minute.

• pps7
    14 years ago

I think it will be 8-9 months from the time the foundation was poured but some of it will depend on weather. We are just framing right now and hoping to be under roof in another 3 weeks or so. Hope the weather holds up until then.

We started the process at the end of june. Took about a month to get the construction loan squared away. Then another month to get permits; then we had to remove a tiny bit of asbestos in the old home, then demolition. Then it rained the whole month of october and we couldn't pour the foundation. We were very slow to get started. My builder says the house will be done end of May, I think he's being optomistic, but I won't complain if it's done!

• david_cary
    14 years ago

Took about 4 months from basement pouring to movein. 4000 sq feet.

Basements definitely add time. Site finished hardwood floors add time. But overall ours went like this.

Basement - 3 weeks, Framing 3 weeks, Rough ins (electrical, plumbing, HVAC) - 2 weeks, Drywall 1 week, Cabinets 1 week, Trim 1 week, Painting 1 week, Flooring 10 days, Finals 2 weeks.

Site work took a week. Permitting took 2 weeks. Plans 6 weeks. Engineering of plans - 2 weeks. So 10 weeks of no work (well no visible work) getting done.

Things aren't always faster in a slow economy as everyone has already been laid off. But mostly - it is faster.

• megradek
    14 years ago

9 months from dig to move in for a 3800sqft custom home in the midwest weather. simple, straight forward lot, and the basement wasn't finished yet. good luck!

• alexandra_marie
    14 years ago

We broke ground October 8th, and have not slipped in schedule and will be in January 14th. We had a bit of rain in the beginning but the roof was put up just in time.

Ours is 2700sq ft plus a basement which would make it 4000.