Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experience with 2-sided indoor/outdoor fireplace?

Posted by gobruno (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 16, 08 at 10:26

We really want to have a 2-sided indoor/outdoor fireplace in our home. Our dining room shares a wall with our screened in porch, and we currently are planning to put in one of the following fireplaces, which can have one side on the interior and one side on the exterior:

http://www.heatnglo.com/products/fireplaces/gasFireplaceDetail.asp?f=05950

http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/2008/HC012_1000_9094_Chateau_DV.pdf

We were wondering if anybody has one of these in their home or has heard anything about it. Our builder has never tried it, and is worried about insulation issues. But, we figure it couldn't be any different than an extra window in the room. We're not sure though if there will be other issues.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experience with 2-sided indoor/outdoor fireplace?

We really wanted to do this as well, but got taken out of our budget. I don't imagine it would be any further insulation burden as long as the exterior one has a well sealed "door". I think they are fabulous especially if you entertain outdoors a lot.

o

What is your neighborhood like? People will tend to gather round the outdoor FP, which may mean they have their back to the veiw, if there is one. Just something to consider.

I like the idea of being able to clean the ashes from outdoors, though. And getting twice the visual bang for the amount of wood chopped.

o

I have two seperate fireboxes back to back. As interesting as a two sided fire place would sound, it would seem to be a rather difficult technological problem

o

Hi Ronnatalie,
I thought about that, but I saw these 2 sided fireplaces and I thought it could be an efficient solution in getting 1 fireplace to serve 2 spaces. I was wondering if you had heard anything negative about the 2 sided fireplace, seen it, or have any personal experience with it. Our builder has never used it on any of his houses, but nobody has asked him about it either. So, I thought I'd ask around. Any info. would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

o

Ran across this site. You might want to contact them:

Here is a link that might be useful: indoor/outdoor fireplace

o
by the way

When researching for gas fireplaces, we found heat & glo to be a quality product. We went with napoleon for cosmetic reasons, but felt both offered the performance levels we were looking at.

o

we're also having two separate fire boxes back to back. for some reason i didn't care for the see-through version. also, if you have a "sealed" door on the outdoor unit how do you get any heat from it?

maybe we're paranoid, but we also considered this to be an easy entry to the house ...as long as the fireplace wasn't on. admittedly my knowledge of these things is less than none so i'm interested to hear of anyone with experience with these units.

o

at 38,000 btu's, that's more than ample to heat an outdoor patio area. With the fan kit, you'd be scooching them patio chairs back a ways. As far as break in, if they want in bad enough, it will happen simply by breaking a window.

o
should add

Direct vent gas fireplaces have sealed glass. On some, you can get doors for cosmetic purposes. The heat is disbursed through the glass, not an open fire box like on traditional old woodburning fireplaces.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here