Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timberwolf78

Floorplan

timberwolf78
10 years ago

Long time lurker here.

We are hoping to break ground on our house in the next few months. We started with a stock plan and are having it modified. We just got the preliminary modified plan back. We are pretty set on the plan but would like to hear your opinions/critique. The house will be in MN. It will be around 1750 sq ft with a walkout basement.

There are a few things I know I will be changing. I plan on moving the fireplace towards the middle of the wall and have 12' wide windows (3'-6'-3') for the living room. there will be a French door(out to a deck) where the nook and kitchen meet. I will also be switching the windows from DH to casements and will change some sizes as well.
I will also see if the ceilings heights in the foyer and the living room can be increased to 11', as they were in the original plan.
I would also like a 3'x8' front door with 1'sidelites on both sides. Would that look ok considering the width of the foyer?
Any other ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Comments (14)

• timberwolf78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Front and back elevations

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

You might want to post your kitchen plan (zoomed in, with dimensions) on the Kitchens forum. What I see right off the bat is that anyone opening the fridge is going to block the walkway.

What will you be putting in the nook? with a door on the right side, any furniture you put there will be in the path to the door.

I like the mudroom, but the closet seems really small. In MN, you'll need more space than that for coats and boots.

I would put the man door on the back of the garage on the long back wall instead of the alcove. You've got a perfect opportunity there for floor to ceiling deep shelves or a workbench, and you're using it all up with a walkway. If the door has to go on that wall, I'd cut out the alcove.

I don't see a closet in bedroom #2.

I would put a pocket door between the master bath and closet. I can't see the dimensions, but the master closet looks like it has an awful lot of wasted space in the middle, unless you'll be adding storage there.

• jdez
    10 years ago

I love your plan. Nice looking house. I can't really make out the room sizes but I think your french doors by the kitchen nook would only be a useable area if the doors are not blocked by a table or any other type of big furniture. Maybe a small table against the wall just opposite of the kitchen counter so that traffic could pass through that one side between the two? Otherwise, I love it. Good luck.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

I really like it. Just a couple of my thoughts.

I would want a coat closet off the foyer? In MN I am sure you will have guests with parka's and boots! I like it though.

Also you may want a linen closet for the bedrooms?

Do you have kids? I know I am on a closet kick but you might need space for games, etc. as well as vacuum, brooms, etc.

Do you need a door to the toilet room in the master? It seems pretty concealed without and the door looks like it would be in the way for the person at the sink.

Overall it looks like a nice comfortable space.

• timberwolf78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody! That is some good and quick feedback .

One thing I like to mention is that at this point I am not worried about the location/sizes of closets, cabinets, etc. neither will I do exactly how it shows in the plan as that's just designer's perspective. I am just getting the elevations, sizes of the rooms and window/door sizes/schedule figured out.
    The room dimensions are as follows.
    Master bedroom: 15x13
    M bath: 10x9
    M closet: 10x7
    Laundry: 6'8x7
    Bath: 10x6
    Bdrm 2: 10x12
    Study: 10x10
    Dining: 10x12.5
    Powder: 5x6'5
    Kitchen: 12'4x13'11
    Nook: 7x6
    Living room: 15'8x16'4

• timberwolf78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just to answer some of the questions.
    ankh:
    I will post the zoomed in kitchen in the other forum. The size is 12'4"x13'11". I plan on not having the countertop/cabinets between the nook and the kitchen. Instead I would like an island. I do agree that I will face some challenges in the kitchen design but that's the area I will spend the most time planning. I may use a kitchen designer as well.
    The nook will have a window seat, a small table and a few chairs around it.
    You are right about the mudroom. In addition to the closet, I plan on having lockers/closets along the wall with the stairs.
    Good point on the garage door.
    Bedroom 2 is kid's bedroom. And yes, there will be a closet in there.
    There will be more storage in the master closet.

• timberwolf78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks JDez!
    I might go with an out swinging French door there. There will be a window seat and a small table. It is not ideal but to keep the house size in check, we will have to compromise on a few things.

Autumn,
    Yes to the coat closet. I have been thinking about the best place to put one. If I can't put one in the foyer, I might put it in the study wall facing the living room. If I go that route, It will be recessed inside the study and not sticking out.
    I think laundry room would serve the purpose of linen closet, thoughts?
    Cleaning supplies, brooms, vacuums, can be stored in the mudroom and the laundry room. We will have a bonus room above the garage which we will use as the playroom. All the games, toys, cluttering kids stuff will go there.
    I am still undecided on some doors including master bath, master closet, laundry room. I might eliminate some of the these doors or at least have pocket doors.

• timberwolf78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another question.

The foyer is 7' wide. Currently the entry door is 2'6"x6'8" plus a single sidelite and transom above the door.
    Would a 3'x8' door with 2 1' sidelites without transom look ok in that setting?

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Your study, though suited to maybe be a bedroom, could never be a bedroom because it doesn't have access to a bathroom. Anyway to put the secondary bedroom (across from MB) into the bathroom corner, and put the bathroom between study and bedroom with hall access?

• bpath
    10 years ago

For only 2 BR/2 ba, I don't think you need a linen closet. In our house, each bedroom has an extra set of sheets and winter blanket in the closet, and an extra towel in the bathroom. You have a basement for everything else.

For the powder room, if you have company they will walk through the kitchen and mudroom for it. You're either brave, or very tidy.

• timberwolf78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kirkhall,

That's how it was in the original plan but it had to be changed to squeeze the laundry in that area.
    Also, the walkout basement will have 2 BR/2 ba as well, which we will wait to finish after getting occupancy permit. So we are not that concerned with having a 5th BR.

bpathome,
    LOL you are right. We had considered that too but every modification we decided to make ended up creating something in another area we didn't like.

Many plans have mudroom and laundry together. That is one of the reasons we separated the two. By doing that, the mudroom won't be as messy as if the laundry was in there, and the cleaning won't take that long.

• bpath
    10 years ago

How will you use the study? If it's a home office, then leave it as is. If you will use it as a den, could you change to double doors open to the living room so it can be an "away" room, something that's part of the living space but can be closed off? Could be a quiet conversation spot during a party, etc.

Is there room in the laundry or mudroom for the vacuum, mop, etc.? Or will you lug them up from the basement? (Can you tell how I feel about storing the cleaning gear? LOL!)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Neither the bedroom nor the study have closets (which means, they aren't "bedrooms"). You should be able to rework to still have the laundry room in there, but have the bathroom accessible to both "bedrooms". I know for me, I'd want the bathroom accessible to more than 1 bedroom.

Also, think about how you'll vent your laundry.

• xc60
    10 years ago

Our last home was similar to this layout in a couple of ways.

I would place the entry into the powder room in the hallway instead of the mudroom, if your guests will be using it. I like a bathroom in the mudroom if you have another bathroom for guests to use. My mudroom can get messy in the winter with many boots, hats, mitts.... Would not like my guests seeing that, lol.

One I disliked about our last home was the foyer being completely open to our living areas of our home. Was ok with family or friends but with any stranger coming to our door and them having a complete view of it was very uncomfortable. As well as having to have everything clean all the time in the great room..... incase someone came to the door. If I were to do a similar plan again, I would make the front entrance more private.

We also had the 3' x 8' front entry door with just over 1' transoms surrounding it. I liked the look of them a lot. But they were also a nightmare with the foyer open to the main living areas. So many times there would be the neighbor's kids or people peeking into them right into our home.

Once I had just woken up from a nap and ran out to the kitchen for a drink of water in just my underwear and a T-shirt and saw a little old couple peering in my front door transom windows looking right at me! Ekkkk! We lived on an acreage with at least a 100' driveway and they said they just loved our house and decided to come take a peek! After that, I knew no more large windows in my foyer if it opens up into the rest of home, lol.

Here's a couple of photos, dimensions similar to your questions on what it would look like. The first is a little dark, sorry. The second is a little off as it was taken with a wide angle lens:

This post was edited by xc60 on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 16:59