Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdez1

What color windows for this house?

jdez
10 years ago

Ok, since we have picked out colors and materials for the exterior of our house (or at least have an idea of the direction we want to go), I wanted to see what its going to look like, so I painted it on the S-W Color Visualizer. Sorry if it looks like my first grader did it, it was the best I could do. We are using brick on most of the exterior with wood board and batten under the porches and on the second level. We plan to use SW Inkwell paint on the wood with SW Westchester Gray trim. The red/pink/brown you see in the picture is supposed to be brick. The orange you see on the porch is supposed to represent stained pine and will match our front door. The roof is going to be plain shiny silver metal. We are having trouble deciding on the color we should go with for the windows. We are going with mid-range vinyl windows. We are trying to decide between white vinyl, dark bronze (which looks almost black) or silver (which looks like a light gray). These color choices come from a few different brands. All of them offer white, the dark bronze is Andersen 100 series, the silver is Jeld-Wen. Also, home depot has something called Vantagepointe that comes in Bronze but I'm not sure if its in our price range. Anyway, I don't really want to know what brand you think I should go with, I want to know what color you think will work best with our current choices. Of course any and all thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• Oliver Hoffmann
    10 years ago

I would go with silver/light gray. Anything darker might look a bit too dark and I like some contrast.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

I think I'd want the windows to be clear. For the frames, based on your rendering, I'd choose green. Red frames would look good with the gray wood siding. If it's the right color of red, that would also look good with your brick.

This means, if you want your house to look custom, you have to use custom windows. Always works that way. Standard windows are...well, standard.

Good luck with your project.

• jdez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Virgil, we never considered green or red. I will definitely have to analyze and overanalyze and analyze this some more.

Oho, DH also thinks that the bronze would be too dark. I was the one pushing for the darker windows after seeing them on houzz and falling in love. Probably not the way to go but I still want it on the possible list.

• rrah
    10 years ago

Given this picture, I would probably go with the silver. I am a big fan of bronze windows, but I don't think they would show up with the dark siding.

Please don't choose white. My pet peeve is white windows on custom or semi-custom homes when another color would have been better. It just cheapens the overall look to me.

• jdez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

By the way, our brick won't be quite so Rudolph's Nose Bright Red. I just had a hard time finding paint colors and mixing them to make them look like bricks.

And rrah, I hear ya.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Also personally I think I'd like the windows to fade into the siding since you already have a few different things going on with the exterior. It all looks completely lovely, but I think personally it would look really classy if the windows weren't competing for the spotlight.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

You said you don"t want this opinion but get a quality standard color window over a piece of crap in a colored window (anything Jeldwen, Andersen 100 Vantagepointe or anything from a box store), period! You on't want to need new ones in 10 years.

• jdez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's ok millworkman. I think I have read most of your posts and I value your opinion...and windowsonwashington....and mmearse.....and others. Big box is all I can afford.

• dan1888
    10 years ago

If you check pricing at a building supply on fiberglass windows like Marvin Integrity and do the install, you may come in closer to your budget with a quality product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Integrity

This post was edited by dan1888 on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 0:40

• jdez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip Dan but the closest Marvin dealer is 3 hours away. I like the look of their windows though.